Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a Colt Trooper today in .38 caliber. Condition is good. About 85 percent on the bluing. Some obvious wear of the bluing at the end of the barrel and on the sharp edges of the frame. Lock up is rock solid, the rifling in the barrel is very good condition, and the cylinder gap is less than .008. Grips appear to be orginal and in very good condition. What would be a good price for this gun. Asking price was 625.00. Also how old is this Colt , serial number is 7320X. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
I don't know, guess gun prices have changed a lot lately but that seems a bit hight to me. I had a Trooper Mk III, 8" Nickel that I got in the early '80's for $275 IIRC.

·
Banned
21,402 Posts
Too high. I got a .357 Trooper from a fellow GTer for $350.

·
Groovy.
4,380 Posts
Seems high to me by about $125.00-150.00. They're nice guns and have great actions, but that sounds high.

I got this Trooper Mark III for $400.00.

deadite

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw a Colt Trooper today in .38 caliber. Condition is good. About 85 percent on the bluing. Some obvious wear of the bluing at the end of the barrel and on the sharp edges of the frame. Lock up is rock solid, the rifling in the barrel is very good condition, and the cylinder gap is less than .008. Grips appear to be orginal and in very good condition. What would be a good price for this gun. Asking price was 625.00. Also how old is this Colt , serial number is 7320X. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I thought that was high but it sure has a smooth action and you do not see many around for sale. Thanks.

·
Groovy.
4,380 Posts
I thought that was high but it sure has a smooth action and you do not see many around for sale. Thanks.
You are 100% correct about the smooth action. The action on my Trooper Mark III is actually better than my S&W 29-2.

You could always offer the guy $500 and see what he says.

deadite

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are 100% correct about the smooth action. The action on my Trooper Mark III is actually better than my S&W 29-2.

You could always offer the guy $500 and see what he says.

deadite
I'm not a revolver expert but its better than any I have ever tried. Thanks for the reply!

·
Varmit Control
8,548 Posts
BTW, I would get a cost estimate from Colt mfg or a local gunsmith on reblueing. Bring up the cost of such "repairs" when negotiating the price. That alone will bring most dealers down from their unrealistic high prices. Many put on a high sticker price as they are looking for customers that have more money than knowledge about the product.

When buying from a gun dealer, especially a pawnshop. Negotiate as if you are buying a car.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
BB of gun values shows $297.00 at 80% ( already subtracting 10% due to .38 Cal.). The original Trooper series was mfg. 1953-69 according to the book.

·
Groovy.
4,380 Posts
Many put on a high sticker price as they are looking for customers that have more money than knowledge about the product.

When buying from a gun dealer, especially a pawnshop. Negotiate as if you are buying a car.
Alot of the time the gun for sale is on consignment. The Shop will generally charge the consignment seller a 20-30% commission, so the seller will be forced to jack up the price so that they come out alright. That will normally price the gun out of a sale until the weeks pass, the gun doesn't sell and the seller is forced to lower his price.

deadite

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
DOB is 1968. This version was made to 1969. Apparently the same gun as the .357 Trooper built on the "I" frame. The "E" frame models were earlier and had the firing pin on the hammer, the "I" frame has the firing pin in the frame. Also were offered with the target hammer and stocks which this one has. I did buy it yesterday. Paid to much according to you guys but as I said once before I passed on two Colts some time ago and have regretted it since. I like that this gun is not seen for sale much and really love the silky smooth action. On the action , these guns are called the poor man's Python because they have the same old style action as the Python. During the Vietnam war Pythons were hard to come by because Colt was busy supplying the military with M16s, some gunsmiths would take these Troopers and add a Python barrel. This required some skill and some welding, the end products were called Poopers. The later model Troopers have a totally different type of action. Anyway I intend to shoot it and enjoy it. Thanks for your replies!:supergrin:

·
Groovy.
4,380 Posts
DOB is 1968. This version was made to 1969. Apparently the same gun as the .357 Trooper built on the "I" frame. The "E" frame models were earlier and had the firing pin on the hammer, the "I" frame has the firing pin in the frame. Also were offered with the target hammer and stocks which this one has. I did buy it yesterday. Paid to much according to you guys but as I said once before I passed on two Colts some time ago and have regretted it since. I like that this gun is not seen for sale much and really love the silky smooth action. On the action , these guns are called the poor man's Python because they have the same old style action as the Python. During the Vietnam war Pythons were hard to come by because Colt was busy supplying the military with M16s, some gunsmiths would take these Troopers and add a Python barrel. This required some skill and some welding, the end products were called Poopers. The later model Troopers have a totally different type of action. Anyway I intend to shoot it and enjoy it. Thanks for your replies!:supergrin:
Congrats! Don't sweat the price you paid. It'll soon be forgotten when you shoot it. Looking forward to the range report!

deadite

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats! Don't sweat the price you paid. It'll soon be forgotten when you shoot it. Looking forward to the range report!

deadite
If it ever stops raining I intend to put some lead thru it. Been raining here in NC since yesterday morning. Guess I should just be glad its not snow or ice! LOL.:supergrin:

·
Groovy.
4,380 Posts
If it ever stops raining I intend to put some lead thru it. Been raining here in NC since yesterday morning. Guess I should just be glad its not snow or ice! LOL.:supergrin:
Yeah, here in Western Michigan it took me 4 hours to shovel out my driveway the other day. :)

deadite

1 - 20 of 20 Posts