Colt Python insight.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by vart, Jan 6, 2018.

1. vart

vart

My step-dad is a retired Chief of Police and began his law enforcement career in the early `70's. He and I were talking about guns and he was wondering what his mint Model 29 6" S&W was worth. He bought it after Dirty Harry came out.

I told him that the Colt Pythons were now the hot ticket with some going for over $2k.

He wrinkled his nose and said they were never as good as the Smiths. He said guys had a much harder time qualifying with the Pythons than with the S&W 66.

He said the Pythons were prone to failures and just weren't as well built as the Smiths. He said he has no idea why anyone would pay that much for an inferior weapon.

It was an interesting conversation; I had no idea there were any aspersions cast towards the Pythons.

So was my old man correct or is he showing signs of dementia?

2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Mine has not had an issue in 40 years. used it to shoot jackrabbits hopping around the Red River.

Python.JPG

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Will be an interesting thread, because I have always hear people say the Python goes out of time easy, and the Smith is more rugged.

Dunno :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. bac1023

bac1023

Lots of folks think that way about Pythons. I’m surprised you never heard it before.

I like them quite a bit, personally. It’s one of the few post WWII Colt revolvers that’s any good.

It’s definitely the only Colt snake I think is good. The others range from ok to crude junk, in my opinion.

DunRanull, DougS63, Gray Dood and 3 others like this.
  5. 1L26

1L26

I've had mine since the very early 70s. I carried it on patrol for approximately 4 years. I absolutely love the gun and it's great to shoot. I've carried a Model 66 on patrol for a couple years and yes, it was a very capable firearm but for me, it is not in the same category as my Python.

MNBud, kevlar4050, DunRanull and 5 others like this.
  6. R*E

R*E

I know some old pin shooters who said the snakes didn’t hold up to high round counts like Smiths.

7. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I’ve akways been partial to S&Ws as far as shooting is concerned and they appeal to me more aesthetically as well. As for reloading, hard to beat Ruger when it comes to strength...Blackhawks/Redhawks are practically indestructible.

While smooth, I find Colt snake guns to look cheap (vented rib, bland stocks, etc)...like somebody attempted to make it look fancy. That said I don’t have a lot of experience shooting them but I have read that the Colts, while nice, don’t hold up in the long run as well as Rugers or S&Ws when it comes to warmer loads.

All of that said, I know lots of folks like them and are willing to fork over copious amounts of money for them- whatever floats your boat

8. kyjd75

kyjd75

Back in the day I owned two Pythons along with one model 19 and two 66's. I carried for duty use one of the S&W's regularly. However, I always enjoyed shooting the Pythons, and never considered the S&W's to be their equal in terms of fit and finish. The bluing finish used by Colt on their Python is generally considered to be unequaled in production firearms. I am sure that bac1023 would know more about this than me.

slugger6, BDW and fx77 like this.
  9. G19 DB

G19 DB

A local gunsmith is of the same opinion. I took a revolver to him and wanted him to tune and polish the action - said I wanted it as smooth as a python. He said you mean smith right? I'm like no, the only python I shot was like everything was on roller bearings or glass. He looked at me like I was nutz. :dunno:

crockett likes this.
  10. method

method

That should be 'the vast majority going for over $2k'. $2k is about the very bottom of the price curve. Some go for two or three times that, and more.

11. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

D4F6E5E1-CE0B-4EE0-9311-2BF4607D4E6F.jpeg Here’s a pic of limited series of Colt Python limited edition series for each of the Canadian provinces. This is the one dedicated to Alberta.

Kaw999, Denis FX, dugansduece and 7 others like this.
  12. kyjd75

kyjd75

Very nice. When was this released?

13. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

Thinking back in the seventies. Was at a gun show years back an saw a Canadian Colt distributor with a display of several of them.

14. Jdirt

Jdirt

In 1980 I got a 6 inch Royal Blue Python for Christmas. That was the ultimate 6 gun to me at the time. It had a blue job you could shave in.

I was an active shooter with .38 and .357 revolvers at the time. The Python was badly out of time in less than a year while my Smiths and Rugers were still going strong. After dealing with Colt for quite a while, it had to go. Cannot say I have missed it.

NJR and David Frost like this.
  15. bac1023

bac1023

Very true

$2000 is the bottom of the range for a half decent 4” or 6” blued example without the box.

They go way up from there. Examples selling below $2000 are usually pretty beat.

vikingsoftpaw, DunRanull and ZX12R like this.
  16. China boy

China boy

I seen one advertised as shooter grade go for $1800 on a local used market this year.

17. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

AC29137E-AC48-477D-9DBF-B4241A693645.jpeg Not to detract from the post here’s another Colt Canada AR that’s built here in Kitchener ON.

Denis FX and dugansduece like this.
  18. rds95991

rds95991 Truck Gun Holster/NRA Benefactor

I've had several Colt Pythons and can verify that they are not the strongest action around. When S&W was making ammunition, it was hot and while my S&W's could handle it, the cylinder in the Pythons would bind and you had to manipulate the cylinder with your hand to free it. I sent it to Colt repair several times along with the list of ammunition I was shooting and it was returned with a 'no problem found'.

But when shooting my Colt Python against S&W's with more moderate 357 magnum, my Colts were always more accurate. The trigger was just that much better. This was before S&W started putting underbarrels ala 686's on their revolvers so that along with the vented rib may have been a contributing factor by stiffening the barrel.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    DunRanull likes this.
  19. rds95991

rds95991 Truck Gun Holster/NRA Benefactor

Within the last couple of years, the Colt Python Hunters were fairly reasonable (sub $2,000). I guess no one wanted an 8" with a scope. Now they taken off also.

20. bac1023

bac1023

Yeah a common configuration with no box and lesser condition, I’d imagine Pete.

China boy likes this.