close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colt multi position Buffer tube

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Goldendog Redux, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I need a new buffer tube with more than just fully extended of fully retracted. I can either take the tube to a machine shop and have more holes drilled out or replace the tube.The replacement is a little more tricky as is must be re-staked.

Can one get a Colt tube or is it just a USGI tube. Has anyone been down this road?

MF

2. Norcal911

Norcal911

I'm not familiar with a 2 position tube but I would not have anybody drilling on the one you have. Un-staking your current one and re-staking a new one is no big deal and can be done with hand tools. Muscle to get it off and anything from a screw driver, nail set, center punch, etc to re-stake the new one. Milspec tubes are easy to find, check out Brownells, Midway, Bravo Company, G&R tactical, PK firearms, etc etc.

The buffer tube is quite important to the operation of your AR, not a part you want to be drilling on, modifying, weakening etc. A buffer tube needs to be able to stay in one piece, and stay straight, not to mention delivering a butt stroke or doing a mortar drill to remove a stuck case. It needs to be strong and IMO it needs to be milspec both in size and metal type. They come in commercial size and milspec size, measure what you've got because if its commercial size, your stock is commercial size, and if its milspec size, your stock is milspec size, and they are not interchangable. Commercial stock on Milspec tube = lots of rattle and bad fit, Milspec stock on commercial tube=NO GO, won't fit-Norcal911

3. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

Adding more positions for a collapsible stock will not weaken the buffer tube. They're not thru holes, they're small pockets for a pin to fit into, and they don't affect the gun's operation.

Anyway, Goldendog, I think it'd be cheaper to buy a new one, than to pay a machine shop to do it, unless you find some good peeps who will do it under the table for cheap.:supergrin:

4. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

How I understand it Mil-Spec is 4 positions (2 between fully closed and fully opened) and Commercial is 6 positions (4 between fully closed and fully opened).

Sounds to me like your looking for a Commercial tube. Please be aware that you will need a new stock if you go from Mil-Spec to Commercial.

In answer to your last question, I would just get a Commercial tube and re-staking the castle nut isn't hard at all. It's not really like the Gas Keys in that you really don't have to do it right away.

5. Norcal911

Norcal911

I'm aware that the holes do not go through and should not affect the cycle of the gun, getting them actually drilled in right is a different story, that's why I recommended installing a new one instead of having a machine shop drill on his. Its too easy and cheap to buy a new one one instead of wondering if a machine shop drilled it right, depth right, diameter right, position right etc. My general point was that a buffer tube is too important and too cheap to make right instead of having somebody maybe do a good job.....or not-Norcal911

6. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Thanks for the advice. I really need to figure out a way to let the boss allow me to pull the castle nut.

MF

7. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Castle nut was easy for me to remove. I wrapped a piece of rubber around it, a tire innertube, and used a pipe wrench to remove. There are also castle nut wrenches you can buy from places.