Colt Match Compitition Rifle trigger sucks!

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Wurger, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Wurger

Wurger

Got my Colt Match HBAR II out after many years when I heard the CMP rules had changed to allow barrels under 20” and low powered scopes. Being in my early 50’s I don’t see aperture sights like I use to, I thought I’d test the Colt again to see what kind of accuracy it could deliver. The factory trigger is very heavy and gritty. So now I’m in the market for a trigger and looking for recommendations.

This is my video of shooting the Colt. Warning, not taking myself too serious and goofing around with my dog at the end of the video. Just having a bit of fun.

View: https://youtu.be/HZEKhzCZehU

Brass3 likes this.
  2. ZX12R

ZX12R Silver Member

MO Fugga likes this.

3. Brass3

Brass3

Nice video

4. Tbags

Tbags

Geissele, LaRue for value, JP Enterprise for single stage if that is what you prefer would be the path I'd be researching. There are a host of others too as the market has exploded with all types of offerings in the several years.

Brass3 likes this.
  5. OUSooner

OUSooner

I don't know what's up with the Colt trigger. I bought 2 new 20" Ar's a Bushmaster and a Colt and the I noticed the Bushy trigger was a lot better and that rifle is more accurate too.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

But it’s mil-spec, yo!!!

OdinIII and pgg00 like this.
  7. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

cmp is changing rules? Hope they eliminate the rule that says you must use the abortion known as the a2 grip

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I have owned a Colt Match HBAR and a Colt Lightweight Sporter and my S&W M&P has a better trigger than either. I have always wondered why these "Mil Spec" triggers don't feel anything like the triggers the military uses.

Was that ever a rule? You can't use grips that don't match the outline of military grips, but I think an A1 (no finger bump) was always allowed.

Brass3 likes this.
  9. Tbags

Tbags

Standard mil-spec triggers are a crap shoot, you never know when the stars align and you get a good vs a crappy one. My LMT is my last mil-spec I own and it feels on par to couple of ACT triggers I added to a couple of other builds. But neither compare even remotely close to my geissele, larue or jp triggers I own and the market is loaded with affordable triggers so it really doesn't make much sense not to up grade for performance sake alone if you are being held back by a crunchy creepy pull of the trigger.

wct097 and halfmoonclip like this.
  10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I don’t know about others but my issued FN and Colt M16A2s has god awful trigger pulls.

11. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

they allow a1 stocks but not a1 grips

12. Wurger

Wurger

Which one of the Geissele triggerers have you used? Would the basic two stage trigger they offer be good enough for an occasional match?

13. ZX12R

ZX12R Silver Member

I don't see the triggers I have, listed. Mine are 'Match Grade', drop in factory replacements. I have had them for quite a few years.

My triggers are outstanding. Although I have never used the '2 Stage' trigger your talking about, I have no doubt it would make a great, "occasional match" trigger. There is no comparison between Giessele triggers, and your 'Mil-Spec' trigger!

Hope this helps! :D

halfmoonclip likes this.
  14. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I have an ALG ACT for single stage, and a factory Rock River two stage. Both are excellent for their intended applications. Both under $80. ACT for speed, RR for accuracy. The Geissele offerings are apparently top of the heap.

pgg00 likes this.
  15. dla

dla

I chose the Ruger 452 2-stage - $99. 1000+ rounds later I'm still loving it. For me it was between the Ruger and Larue MBT - I missed the $99 sale on the Larue.

16. MikeG36

MikeG36 Have Gun Will Travel

I have the Geissele SSA and SSA-E as well as several ALG ACT triggers. The SSA-E is really nice as is the SSA but surprisingly the ALG ACT triggers are also really nice. In fact, my current build is a DMR style build and I went with an ALG ACT on that rather than the more expensive SSA-E. My reasoning is that I don't mind a little more trigger pull weight as long as the trigger is smooth and has a nice break which the ACT does have. Anyway, there are plenty of good triggers from several companies, I'm sure you'll find one you like.

17. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Those are my three favorite triggers.

18. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

+1

19. Wurger

Wurger

The ALG Act trigger goes for about $70 and the least expensive Geissele goes for about $170.
    I’m thinking I’ll try the ALG for the Colt first and if I want something better I’ll go for the Geissele and then bump the ALG over to one of my other rifles.
    Best trigger I have on any of my current rifles is a Sauer 100. It does make a difference as I was getting 3/4” groups with hunting loads in LC 69 brass, so I’ll probsbly end up with the Geissele eventually.

20. Wurger

Wurger

Just ordered an ALG ACT Trigger for $61.64 at optics planet.
    Saint Patrick’s Day 10% off!