close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colt King Cobra

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by big_gun_man, Jan 13, 2010.

1. big_gun_man

big_gun_man

I thought I found the perfect revolver about a week ago at my local shop, I found a S&W 686 pre lock 4" for $425.00 OTD and I put it on layaway, well I went into the shop yesterday and seen a 4" Colt King Cobra in excellent shape, I believe it is bright stainless but I guess that can be confirmed by the serial #. The colt is in alot better shape than the smith as it doesn't have any wear on it and the Smith has some wear marks on it. I can get the Colt for $550.00 OTD, the Colt has the original grips but no box and paperwork.

I need help deciding which is the better deal and which is the better gun.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Nowhere as good as the Smith&Wesson.

More like the Ruger GP100's quality of fit and finish than a typical Colt finish. The King Cobra was the economy model and it showed.

3. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Go for the Colt.

I own both, the Colt is smoother and better balanced.
    The Colt seems to be better built, tighter fit, recessed cylinder holes, etc.
    And that polished stainless Steel looks like nickle but so much tougher.

Both are very accurate, however.

Either will serve you very well.

I predict the Colt will be worth more money in years to come.

4. bac1023

bac1023

Well, the Colt should continued to rise in value and that's a very good price considering what King Cobras have been going for lately.

That said, the 686 is the better revolver. I like Smiths better than Colts except for the Colt Python, which is my favorite revolver of all time.

I've got a 6" KC and a 4" 686.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. big_gun_man

big_gun_man

I checked the timing on the colt and it was fine but when I check ed the cylinder play it moves a little to the side and you can move it back and forth a little, is this normal, I check several other guns in the shop and they all did this to a point except for the brand new smiths, the gun is in exceelnt condition so I want to think this is normal but I would like everyone's opinion.

6. sarge83

sarge83

I have both the CKC and a 686. I prefer the colt based on balance and strength, however the 686 has the better trigger. As posted the colt will only go up in value. If you are going after a shooter purely get the 686.

7. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

Is the CKC stonger than the 686?

Doesn't the CKC have an action more like a Smith vs say a Python's action?

8. irishbum

irishbum

I got a 4" King Cobra same finish as you described and lock up has no play what so ever. Sights were off when I got it but after the first range trip, it a quater size groups of 5(1 st one was a flyer). Only S&W I ever had was a k frame .38 was damn fine pistol. But my heart belongs to the Colt

9. big_gun_man

big_gun_man

Well I decided to go with the Colt, I think it is a good price and it is a beautiful gun. I would still like to add a 686 but I am sure I can find another pre lock down the road.

10. Sol

Sol

Come again? The King Cobra is every bit as good if not better then the 686, and for that matter so to is the GP100 which if not for the paradigm shift of LE to the auto, likely would have become the dominant wheelgun in police service.
    King Cobras in general are commanding a substantial premium over their S&W counterparts.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Huh?

The King Cobra was the johnny-come-lately. It was priced considerably lower than the L-frame and just a hair more than the GP.

The swing to autopistols was well under way when the King Cobra was presented by Colt to the public.

12. Sol

Sol

The King Cobra was every bit as good as the Smith, fit & finish were superb, triggers not so much so, but I'm talking of the GP100, that revolver was poised to plant Ruger on top, it was sleek, far stronger then the cartridge it was designed for and every beat cop could afford two to every Smith or Colt.
    The swing to the auto ended that opportunity for ever!

13. bac1023

bac1023

Whoa! Are you talking about the King Cobra or Python? BIG difference.

The Colt is worth more, as all DA Colt revolvers are out of production. However, the King Cobra was the economy revolver built to compete with the Smith & Wessons on price. The 686 is better quality by a good margin, in my opinion. I have both. In fact, I've got a GP100 as well. The Smith is the best of the three.

14. bac1023

bac1023

The GP100 is a lot of things, but sleek isn't one of them. "Clunky" is more like it. In fact, I never heard any Ruger described as sleek.

I like the GP100, but come on.

15. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

King Cobra would not be my first choice of Colts, but it would close to the top of my list for revolvers in general.

Been a Ruger fan for a long time, since I was 16 in fact, but comparing a GP to any Colt revolver is not something that would occur to me.

I would describe the Ruger as stout or sturdy; but sleek or elegant or refined, not so much.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You have got to be kidding me?

The GP100 was gonna take over the cops guns scene had not for the autopistol? The Ruger Security Six was a bargain basement gun designed for cop use, and it was around for ages. Yet there were no serious sales to the American cop departments. Why? Because Smith&Wesson N-frame, L-frame and K-frame pretty much took it over since the 1950s.

There's no doubt that the GP100 has the most modern design and lockwork. There's also no doubt that its fit & finish tended to be...shall we say...less than desirable.

Of all the handguns I own (probably close to 40 or so, kinda lost count after a while), the only ones that ever had to go back to the factory were Ruger revolvers in both DA and SA forms. Cylinder holes were too small causing brass to stick, holes didn't index to bore and splitted lead everywhere, crosspins vibrating off the rear sight, ad nauseaum.

Anyway, back to the Colt King Cobra. It was an economy gun that was not even close to the K-frame. That's my story and a lot of people seem to agree with me. Hell, Colt DA wheelies were never that hot other than a few interesting pieces like the Python, the Shooting Master, the Target Master, the Officers Special, and the 6-rounds snubbie Detective Specials. Colt New Service and the Trooper lines couldn't compete with SW N-frame or L-frame lines.

17. bac1023

bac1023

I agree fnfalman.

This guy is either smoking something or works for Ruger. :rofl:

18. Idontplaynice

Idontplaynice

Anyway, here is my Colt King Cobra. Its trigger pull is not as sweet as the 686, but it is light in both DA and SA. As for looks, well I don't think it's ugly by any means.

[​IMG]

19. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Nah, it's not as good. I don't own any, but did sell quite a few which meant playing with them a lot.
    The python was a special gun, it was beautiful and had a trigger like none other before or since. The Cobra just tried to jump on to that bandwagon for the cheaper crowd. It was not a great pistol. Not in looks or beef.
    I wouldn't turn one down for the right price, and if the price was the same between the Smith and the Colt, pick the one in the best shape.

20. OUSooner

OUSooner

I have both a King Cobra and a 586 which is the blue version. The S&W is a better gun. Smoother and shoots straighter. Colts cylinders turn the wrong way too.