close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colt, Kimber or Springer, what to get

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by DukeNukem, Jul 18, 2010.

1. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Hey all. I'm considering getting myself a 1911 and I was looking around here and at the various mfr sites. Looked at Colt and was surprised to see they are now making a bigger selection of pistols. They even have the Delta Elite 10mm again. That said, they have a series called xse that looks like they're trying to be like Kimber and Springfield. Any opinions on the new colts? I guess I've always wanted a Kimber but it seems like their prices have gone up considerably from last time I looked. I'm not looking to spend the money for a custom. I want a full size model mostly for range and maybe some IDPA style shooting, not so much for carry.

2. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

The Kimber pro carry models (4in commander style) start around $888 MSRP. Not that outrageous for a good 1911. Springfields are a little cheaper if you are looking for a 5in model.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/compactprocarry/pro_carry_II/

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/custom/custom_II/

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010

3. zhix

zhix

I am a sucker for Colts;have the delta elite and 1918 repro, one is unfired at the moment and the other I shoot rarely. It seems to me like all the colt models are in the same price range ($875ish). Kimbers I believe go up literally every year; I have an Ultra carry, but I will probably sell it off after getting a 4" Kimber. I have no experience with Springfields mainly because I don't like guns that say made in Brazil on them, though they are said to be great guns.

In my non-expert opinion a Kimber Custom II would be a good one for you to start with in the range of $700-$735. I say start with because you'll probably end up with several 1911s eventually.

4. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

A Kimber Custom II is a great model to fill your needs. I recently bought this one (LNIB) for $620 shipped. The price tag that was in the case was marked $739.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

What is your price range? I would look at the STI Spartan or the Kimber Custom2 that JRS mentioned in the $700ish range. Perhaps spend a few hundred more and get the STI Trojan. All great guns.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

The Kimber Custom II is a VERY good deal for the money!

7. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

Stay away from the Colts. After 20 years of competition I have yet to see a Colt shoot worth a darn. I have been refinishing Firearms for roughly 10 years and every Colt I have worked on is as loose and sloppy as an old lady's teeth.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  8. ctfireman

ctfireman

As much as i wanna tell you not to spend extra money bc of a brand name, i do it myself. All 3 are nice. I tend to favor springfields but have always wanted a colt. Kimbers are nice too, just not as high up on my list.

9. brzusa.1911

brzusa.1911

It depends on many things, money you want to spend being the most important. For a first 1911 for carry, $1150 you can get a Dan Wesson Heritage which beats the others hands down on reliability out of the box. You can aslo get a Colt series 70 for a little less than that (that would be my choice). If you ate looking for something under $900 I would go with the Springfields. I personally stay away from Kimbers, never had experience with one but read a lot about them. Another thing to consider is that SA and Colt will give you lifetime warranty. I hear SA customer service is the best, so if you have a SA that is not running 100% out of the box they will make it right to you on ther dime.

10. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

For every negative thing I've read about Kimbers, I've read 5 others praising them. Don't pan a gun you don't own and/or have never fired.

11. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

+1. I think we covered this in his "1911 snob" thread.

12. brzusa.1911

brzusa.1911

You are correct. I should've not said that! I tried to give the OP my personal opinion, but should've reworded a little better. The same bad reviews you would read from a Kimber, you would read from Colts and Springfields as well, but there will be more positive then negative for sure. I never shot a Kimber, have held many at gunshops and admit they feel great to carry, still I am a little reluctant about buying one, unless it is one of the new ProCarry series.

13. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Just know that between them, Bac and JRS have 100+ 1911s, from low-end to high dollar customs. Both of them could carry anything they want....both carry Kimber Pros.

14. brzusa.1911

brzusa.1911

I actually meant to say the new SuperCarry.

p.s. I know Bac carries the ProCarry, amongst all sorts of 1911s he currently owns. He does that because he likes the gun and trusts it's ability to protect him. Maybe I would change my mind if I got to shoot one. I am not a collector so I buy the ones that I like the best and fit the features I am looking for at a price I am willing to pay.

Just for the record, I am also not a big fan of Colts, especially the XSE ones (I owned one). But I would like to have a series 70 or a Delta Elite one day and send it off to a good gunsmith for some upgrades. My personal opinion today is that for the less than $1000 market the Springfields ate the way to go, last year I would've told you the Dan Wessons were.

15. bac1023

bac1023

What's your exact price range?

Below $1000, I like Kimber the best out of the three.

16. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

I got a chance to fondle a new SuperCarry Pro last month. Felt pretty good in hand. Although, for the asking price of $1,299....I'd either pick up a CBOB for a little less (they are out there if you look hard enough) or I'd spend a few hundy more and get a Valor Bobtail.

17. bac1023

bac1023

I actually carry a Pro CDP :)

18. brzusa.1911

brzusa.1911

Hey Bac, I am interested on your review of why? I know you have all the ones the OP is consedering and maybe you can give an insight comparison from your perspective. As I said, I never considered a Kimber, but I am always willing to learn and change my view.

19. brzusa.1911

brzusa.1911

I agree with you on the supercarry and cbob.

20. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

I would like to stay under $1k. I've always had a thing for the Kimber 1911s. I keep looking on and off at them and usually end up getting something else for the money it takes to get one, but last time I looked it seems you could get a Kimber around 800 and now most of them seem to be up around 1100 or so. Last time I looked I wound up getting an AR instead. Now I'm going back and forth between the 1911, M1 or 44 mag revolver. I do see the Springfields and new Colts going more around the 800 dollar range for what I want. I know Springfield has a good name but the whole Made in Brazil kind of bums me out too.

I'm mostly looking at either a Custom 2 TLE package, Eclipse model, the National Match Loaded or the Colt Goldcup or XSE stainless.