close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

COLT gets USMC contract for 1911's

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BIGBOY61, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGBOY61

BIGBOY61

Looks like the USMC has contracted with Colt to supply 1911A1 45ACP due to deliver by 2017.

Gee, what happened to Glock for consideration?

Just had to voice my opinion here on this. Why a 1911?????

I own one of the finest 1911's today. An Ed Brown. Love it for personal use and protection. However, why on earth would I want to go to a war zone and be reduced to an 8 round mag when a Glock 21 can hold 13 rounds of 45ACP? Heck, even a Glock 17 can hold 17 rounds of 9mm!!

I thought the 40S&W was going to get a look, but I guess that did not pan out.

We all know that the 1911 is not for novices. It takes a lot of care and maintenance. The military needs to have a side arm that is easy to take down, easy to maintain, easy to clean, and is accurate to shoot. The Glock fits the bill in all of these categories and more.

Yeah, I know it is a foreign company, but so is Beretta. Glocks are just not manufactured here.

What do you all think?

2. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

Tried and proven design for over 100 years from a tried and true US company that also manufactures a lot of our rifles (Also, USMC.....as well as MEU..... has been using them 1911's for.....how long?) or a 20 something year old design from a company that is all of a sudden experiencing some........Quality issues?

Not saying a high capacity mag and lighter weight system wouldn't be better. I'm just saying, it's a Colt 1911.

9 and .40 weighs less than .45, no way around that...so you can carry more rounds or the same amount with less weight.

Guess to each his own, and to the USMC it's the 1911.

I guess what I'm saying is: I can't answer your question. But I can provide some valid points based off of my own opinions.

:cool:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

3. bac1023

bac1023

Good for Colt.

I'm happy about it. The 1911 is my favorite platform.

4. BIGBOY61

BIGBOY61

Totally agree with your assessment about the tried and true capabilities of the 1911.

I am not disputing that at all. I love my 1911.

I just figured with today's advancement and improvements in polymer pistols, whether they be from Glock, Springfield, or S&W, that they would have an advantage over the war horse.

Lightweight and ease of maintenance, etc.

5. DocWills

DocWills

They are for one special unit doing behind the lines operations. The pistol is mission specific. And the only comment to the caliber war is what would you like to be shot with?:rofl:

6. Bello

Bello America/Italia

I'd buy one looks pretty cool

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Probably a long shot but maybe when they tried different pistols that is the one they liked the most or shot the best.

8. bac1023

bac1023

:thumbsup:

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Don't rule out "politics.":whistling:

By the way, Berettas used by our military are made in the USA, and Glock, Inc., of Smyrna, GA is capable of producing G21's.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  10. LuckyG

LuckyG

Have no idea based on facts. However, since the 1911 WAS the official military sidearm for a zillion years, there is no need for testing, trials, approvals, etc.

During building clearance operations in the second Gulf war, GI's would sell their grandmother to the Turks (I apologize if you are Turkish) for a 1911, even if they had a Beretta. Ball .45 beats the hell out of ball 9 mm. The M16's were also very clumsy inside small doors, halls and rooms. These houses were not exactly mini-mansions.

Finally, if anybody knows how the Department of Defense procures/authorizes ANYTHING, please write a book about it.

11. bac1023

bac1023

Why is this in General Glocking anyway? :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.