Colt Delta conversion?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Gos, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Gos

Gos

I looked but did not find anything on my question, so apologies if it's been asked a dozen times already.
    IF I picked up a Delta in 10mm, will it shoot 40s&w with a mag and spring change?
    That would allow me to carry it for duty and shoot dept ammo, yet allow me to have a little more horsepower during hunting season.
    Thanks in advance,
    Gos

2. Makoman

Makoman

Democratik People's Republik of Kommiefornia
    I've heard of some people doing that without problems but I wouldn't recommend it as the chamber for a 10mm is longer/deeper so your .40 won't be seated all the way. When a round is fired, the case expands slightly to seal the chamber, helping force all the gases forward out of the muzzle. If you're round isn't seated all the way forward and there's still a gap between the end of the case, I think it's the called the neck or shoulder, you won't get a proper seal. This might result in Kaboom! Or worse yet, injury.

I'm sure there's someone on here that will be along that can explain it better than I can. Does it make sense though?

This is similar to shooting .380 (9x17mm) out of a 9x18 Makarov. It's a big no no. While you can shoot similar calibers out of revolvers (.38 out of a .357 or .44 special out of a .44 mag), the same is not usually true for similar calibers in autos.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010

3. remat

remat

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  4. Makoman

Makoman

Democratik People's Republik of Kommiefornia
  5. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Is this the Delta Convention?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Well, the thing with the Makarov is that the 9mm Mak is actually something like a 9.2mm so the .380 is actually a bit undersized. Accuracy would be lackluster to abyssmal, I would think. It's a bad practice, though I wouldn't think it to be overly dangerous. Now, running a 9mm Mak in a 9x17..............that's bad. :faint: From what I've read there are some .380 chambers out there sloppy enough to allow chambering of a 9x18.

As noted above, firing a .40 in a 10mm chamber is going to stress the extractor. If the extractor isn't that tight to begin with, you could get a misfire from the .40 going too far into the chamber. Can be done, but not a good idea. Get the .40 barrel and you're probably good to go. The mags are made for a longer cartridge, so if .40 versions are specifically made, it would be best to use those. Kind of like trying to run 9mm in a .38 Super mag. Can be done and it will work, but you may have problems. Mags for the shorter cartridges typically have a spacer in the back or some sort of ramping mechanism in the front (Springfield does this with their 9mm mags).

7. Gos

Gos

Sorry to have left out the barrel in my question; swapping the 10mm for a 40s&w is a given due to headspacing.
    To rephrase my question, will a barrel and spring be enough or are there weight issues with a delta slide that the 40 won't cycle?

8. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

You may have to go to a lighter recoil spring but it would be worth a try once you have the barrel. I'm thinking you'll probably be ok ? Maybe.

9. remat

remat

I run mine with an 18#. I haven't tried with the stock 23# spring but my 10mm Commander with a a 26# spring cycles with UMC 10mm which is loaded to 40 levels so I suspect stock would work.

Gotta join in the Delta convention! Makes me wish I still had my
    Sporter Delta Match HBAR!

[​IMG]