Colt Delta 10mm range rpt

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by FreeAmerican, Jan 3, 2010.

1. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

I took my new Colt Delta out for some range time. I took with me my Browning HP 9mm, Colt SAA 45 Colt, and Smith 66-1 357.

First off it was cold! My main reason for going out was to test a couple of loads for the Delta. I have a Smith 610 revolver in 10mm and Smith 1076 auto 10mm but I plan on CCWing the Delta. So I cooked up some 180 Gold Dots over some Power Pistol for the Delta. And I tried some cast lead target loads for plinking.

I can not say enough good things about this new Colt. No issues and shoots like a dream. I did add a buffer just to be safe, a lot of the loads I shoot are full house and hotter than most of the general fodder off the shelf. I was shooting 12 yards or so off hand. I have 6 1911s so the platform is one I am used to. Now this thing does have some recoil, but it is not the beast some make it out to be. If you are looking for a 10mm in 1911 I give the Delta a thumbs up.

The Gold Dots worked very well. They should be running 1200 to 1250 fps, plenty fast for any work I need to do. Turned out to be plenty accurate and if the bonded GD does well in the 40 it should do nice in the 10.

The lead on the other hand was just too hot for my cast slugs. Did not shoot for crap and gave me some lead in the barrel. I may try stepping down to a max 40 S&W load for lead and see what that does. In the mean time I have plenty of 180 gr copper coated that work just fine. I may just stick with the copper plated.

I wish I could report on the HP, I was in a hurry and walked out the door with no 9mm ammo! LOL

The 66 with 158 wadcutters is a lot of fun. I carry it some in the winter even. As far as handy wheel guns are concerned I put the K frame 38/357 at the top of the list.

The SAA Colt may be my fav wheel gun to shoot hands down. When I bought it people asked if I would shoot it??? I've shot the snot out of it. What shocked me was discovering that you can be very accurate with the notch and blade sights. Mine is regulated perfect for 250 / 255 gr running mid 800 fps.

All in all a good day. Now for pics...

The load out for the day. Remember to take the ammo you need! :rofl:
    [​IMG]

The Delta with my GD and some of the copper plated.
    [​IMG]

First mag through the Delta ever, the low hit was the first shot.
    [​IMG]

First box through the Delta ever, I'm sold.
    [​IMG]

2. bac1023

bac1023

Nice pics and good shooting.

Thanks for the report.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

Thanks for the report!!

What spring weights are you running in the Colt?

4. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Sounds like a great day at the range!

I would like to know this also. I have several different weights (+WC recoil buffer), and I'm still on the fence as to what weight I should stick with for the loads I use (mostly just 175gr Silvertips).

Many stock 10mm's now come with an 18 or 18 1/2 lb. spring. Someone mentioned that Stock Colt Deltas originally came with the compound system that added up to 23 lbs.

That's a lot of difference IMHO.

5. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

I'm using the stock dual spring 23 lb setup and a buffer. I would not run 18 lb springs.

6. den888

den888

Very nice Colt !!!

7. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

8. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

What mags are you using? Those look like Colts to me, but I can't really tell.

9. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

Yep, they are Colts, newer with the rounded top followers.

10. GroundedCLK

GroundedCLK

Is that a "new to you" Colt Delta, or a new production Colt Delta?

11. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

The 10mm's an excellent round and most probably dont realize what a prolific effect it's had. It's the parent cartridge of the .40, .357SIG and 9x25 Dillon. Prior to the 10mm, magnum ballistics and service pistols were rarely mentioned in the same sentence.

12. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Crack in frame?
    :supergrin:

13. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

It is brand new re-released Delta. I've had it over a month now and have about 500 rounds through it.

I love the 10mm round, this is my 3rd 10. My first was Smith 610 revolver and I used it to cut my teeth on reloading for the 10. I keep planning on getting a G20 and other things keep getting in the way. I found a 1076 and then this Delta. I still may get a 20, we will see.

On a side note, the 10 series Smith autos are sure stout enough for the round but dang are they big and heavy.

And no cracked frames, even after 500 true 10mm's.