Colt Defender Plus

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by stumpjumper, Aug 9, 2010.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Over the weekend I was at my local fun store and picked up a slightly used Colt Defender Plus. I am having a had time finding out much about it (how long it was made and when). I can understand it's not everybody's cup of tea as it has a 3" barrel and a full size grip, but for me it balances nice ,carries great, and the main thing is ,should I decide ,I can "bobtail" it. Can any one here fill me in on more details of this gun?

1L26 likes this.
  2. tango44

tango44

You can call Colt and ask for customer service, with the serial they will give you all the info.
    1-800-962-COLT (2658)

Pics will be nice, thanks for sharing!

1L26 likes this.

3. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Thanks for the phone number. Found out it was made in 2002. Will try to post pictures later today.

5. Ruggles

Ruggles

I had one back 4-5 years ago. It was an odd duck alright. C.O. Arms is making one with similar proportions now. The Colt was alright but I did have some reliability issue with it. I bought it well used so I am unsure it that was the cause or not. Other than that I really do not have a lot to share about it.

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

I took it to the range today and it did great. I fired 230 fjm (factory and reloads) and 185 fmj reloads in all of my mags( Colt,DW, CM.Kimpro and even gunshow specials) and not a hesitation or hangup. I'm going to order some recoils spring sets from Wolff tomorrow just so I'll have a spare.

7. Walkin' Boss

Walkin' Boss

Love my Defender. It's my primary carry. Excellent choice...you will enjoy it thuroughly!

Edit: stick with 230 gr standard velocity loads (Win. T-series or Fed. HST) for carry purposes. All the +P loadings give you is extra muzzle flash and more wear and tear on the gun.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    1L26 likes this.
  8. Ruggles

Ruggles

Good to hear it works well, like I said mine was a little on the beat up side :(

9. ctfireman

ctfireman

10. Russ424

Russ424

Also would like to see pics

11. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

I've seen and handled a few of these at gunshows. I don't know what niche it fills, but it would make an interesting conversation piece/addition to a collection.

12. texmex

texmex

I like mine. Stainless, full government grip frame but with a 3 inch barrel. I wear blue denim vests or a blue vest from an old suit. With the Defender in a belt slide holster, the vest reaches down just enough to cover the short slide. I can wear a Class C uniform polo shirt under the vest with my Class B or C uniform pants (no leg stripe). I can go from plain clothes concealed carry to fully uniformed in less than a second. I just grab the vest behind my neck and pull it off like a t shirt. Now I have my police polo shirt on plus a gunbelt with a 45, two pairs of handcuffs, a short expanding Baton, a real flashlight and three extra magazines. Especially good if you are backing up an officer who doesn't know you are from another agency. No blue on blue mistakes, especially if you should take on an active shooter. I almost always wear this when off duty holiday shopping or at some public event. The Defender Plus is very fast from the holster as the slide clears very quickly. Very comfortable sitting down also. The full size grip, magazine and cartridge can get the job done. Concealable like a snub nose but with a full grip and 8+1 ammo capacity. Everything you need and nothing you don't. It has night sights but I think I will put laser grips on it. That red or green dot dancing around their crotch really makes them reconsider just how committed they are. I don't want to kill them, just make them wish they were dead. It may deter others in the future. They may not be afraid of dying, but they may be very afraid of a 45 caliber gender reassignment.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  13. dakota1911

dakota1911

I have seen a couple and they were only made a year or so. I have a couple of Defenders. A 2002 in 45ACP and a 2010 in 9mm.

Anyway the Defender Plus was not made long, like the Defender in 40 S&W.

14. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

I never knew these existed either = never saw one till I just googled it up.. They look fantastic to me..
    I still have a great Officer's holster in my stash, I did see a normal Defender at the LGS for $800 a few months back

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

This Defender Plus is similar to the old Commanding Officer with the Officer slide mated to full size frame.

16. bac1023

bac1023

17. texmex

texmex

Ok, Ok.
    [​IMG][/URL]

chemboy, fnfalman and NAZG26 like this.
  18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

People knocking on Colt for not being innovative, yet look at this concept of a compact/subcompact slide mated to a full size frame that Glock, SIG and soon to be everyone else are imitating.

paul45 likes this.
  19. paul45

paul45

Yes, fnfalman, as you say, Colt made this configuration 18 some years ago and got ridiculed for it. Keyboard commandos of the time said the CCO was the latest and greatest.. Well, Colt made those also!

Now Glock makes the 19x, 45 43x, and people think what a huge innovator Glock is!

Funny how the internet works.

fnfalman likes this.
  20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Gotta give credit to Glock Inc. plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery. They know when and where to steal good ideas from: HK and Colt.

paul45 likes this.