Colt .38

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by positivelymaybe, Feb 20, 2017.

1. positivelymaybe

positivelymaybe

Reading and seeing the videos on the new Colt Cobra at the shot show got my interest. I've been a fan of the Colt .38's since I read your book In The Gravest Extreme many years ago. You get to see the new Cobra, Mas? I have an older second generation Detective Special that a retired detective gave me and I was thinking of putting it back in my carry rotation. Had it out at the range last week and it's still on the money. If I did I would have to give up another gun to make room for it. That would probably be my Sig P238. Given the choice of these two which would be your pick? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

I'd take a .38 Special revolver over a .380 auto any day of the week.
    Shot the new Cobra at media day at the SHOT show. Very smooth, easy double action pull. The new trigger guard shape allowed it to work with heavy gloves on, which is important since on most small frame revolvers thick glove material often prevents trigger return.
    I wish they had named it something other than Cobra, but it's a very promising little revolver and I have a test sample on order.
    besst,
    Mas

n2g and JMag like this.

3. positivelymaybe

positivelymaybe

Lol. Im reading your posts long enough to know you were going to take the .38. The Sig is a nice shooting little gun but I prefer a .38 also. Ive had to have the Colt's timing reset a couple of times and had semi retired it to my premise license but after watching those videos I took it out last week and it handled a couple of boxes of 158 grain and a couple of cylinders of Gold Dots like a champ. I haven't been carrying the Sig much but I would definetly carry my Colt. I agree with you as far as the new Cobra. It's a cool name but it's not a Cobra it's more of a new Detective Special. I'm glad that Colts making double action revolvers again. Thanks Mas.

n2g likes this.