Colt 1911s any good?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by cash, Feb 12, 2010.

1. cash

cash

2. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

If you don't know enough about 1911s to know if it is any good inside or not, why would you want to move to that platform? Is there something you expect the 1911 to do that the G22 will not? Not saying it is a bad choice, mind you, but not sure why one would consider the move ordinarily.

3. bci21984

bci21984

what other pistol platform has maintained a top position of duty sidearm, both military and LE for 99 years. john browning and sam colt knew what they were doing.

I'm sure the day you got your glock you didnt just holster it and trust it to work. im sure it was put through its paces before you trusted your life with it. do so with the 1911, but there are also several other considerations.

your can carry 46 rds on your duty belt with the g22, even with a quad 1911 mag holster your only gonna get 41 on the belt. if you only carry a double youll have 25rds.

does it have g.i. sights or does it already have a dovetail sight installed. its thinner than your g22 but if its an all steel gun it will be heavier. im sure somebody in your department carries or has carried one. seek them out and see what their input is.

4. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

+1

One should not only be familiar with ANY pistol they plan on carrying for duty, they should also be proficient with it first. Why would anyone want to carry something they seemingly don't know much about? No slight to you, but why do you want to carry a 1911 if you don't know enough about them to judge one's condition?

I shot my first 1911 in competitions for a year before I decided to carry one on duty. One reason was that I wanted to be good with it, especially when shooting under pressure.

$900 for a Colt isn't a bad deal, depending on it's condition. Not knowing what it looks like, I couldn't give any advice on whether you should pick it up. I would advise you to not buy it, and start carrying it on duty if you can't judge what kind of condition it's in. That goes for any gun, not just a 1911.

If you have a buddy that knows enough to check it out for you, you could go that route. If you really want one, and it's good enough, you could pick it up and get to know it. Spend some time shooting and decide if you really want to carry a 1911 on duty.

Good luck...

5. cash

cash

I've carried and shot Glocks for years. My previous PD issued Glocks, so that's what I carried. My current PD has no issue duty gun, and allows 1911s. Over the last few years, I've developed an affinity for the the skinny gun. I never bothered before because it was a nonstarter ... 1911s weren't authorized, so I didn't shoot them. I shot my Glocks, and was satisfied.

I shoot 1911s well, better generally than my Glocks, which I shoot fine (and occassionally well). I admit ignorance about the particulars when it comes to 1911s, hence my questions. All I really know right now: I like the look, feel, ergonomics and trigger of a good 1911.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

6. 50 Cent

50 Cent

I'm not an LEO but used to carry a 1911 in the CHL role as a civilian. If its all working well, then its good. Its just that a 1911 seems to take a bit of tweaking (ammo choice, magazines especially)to run faultlessly. So I switched to mainly carrying a revolver or my G19.

If I was going to carry another .45, it would be a G30.

7. onelowtruck69

onelowtruck69

My self along with any other "gun nut" has strong admiration for the 1911 platform and im not trying to start another glock vs 1911 battle. Personaly having owned and shot thousands of rounds through both , The 1911 is a fun shooter and to me a hobby gun, but the weight,ammo capacity,simplicity ,durability and consistancy of the glock is remarkable, Its your life and the lives people you serve that depends on that weapon so i recommend you shoot both and go with what YOU feel confident and comfortable with.

8. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

Get a 1911. Get proficient with it before carrying it. Once you feel comfortable enough with it, and only then, carry it. Remember... you carry a 1911 "cocked and locked". Something that takes a little getting used to.

But first, do your home work. There are a lot of 1911's out there, some better than Colt, some not. Smith & Wesson makes a pretty good one, so does Springfield and Para Ordnance.

9. beatcop

beatcop

Evolution.....the Glock

Seriously, I only know of one small agency that runs 1911's....they have more AD's than usual. Training problem? Sure, but the tac-lite/Glock combo is a decent rig.

10. blueiron

blueiron

The only problem I ever noticed with the Colt was on the Series 70 pistols with the collet bushing. Mine broke at about 4,800 rounds and a friend had one break at around 4,000 rounds of mixed factory and handloaded ammo.

A simple swap to a King's solid bushing with a proper fitting from a gunsmith has kept it running solid since the late 1980's.

If the weapon is used, swap out all the springs after you get it home and start fresh.

11. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

The 1911 design requires a significant amount of training to safely use as a primary handgun. Many hundreds (some might argue a couple of thousand) of manipulations of the safety to make it automatic for the thumb to put it "on/off" when you present the handgun.

So, unless you are willing to take the necessary training I'd urge you to carry the firearm you're most familiar with.

That doesn't mean, however, that you shouldn't buy the 1911. :wavey:

12. CAcop

CAcop

I like my duty Colt. If you get an open top quad pouch you can put 10 rounders into it. I will probably get one soon from A E Nelson for 45 rounds plus more in the war bag. Besides if it goes that bad I will have an AR in my hands.

13. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

To answer your original question OP, yes, Colt 1911's are "any good". The $900 price tag doesn't seem out of sorts depending on which model you're getting, and I'm sure if you decide to buy it and put in the necessary training it will serve you well.

That being said, pay attention to the advice above. I can't think of one thing that a 1911 would do better than my G21, but I am also a firm believer in the mentality that you should carry what you are most proficient with. Your duty gun should give you a warm fuzzy feeling every time you clear leather, and if running a 1911 is what it takes to get you there, I say go for it. But do it the right way and understand the limitations you are placing on yourself by choosing that (or any) platform.

14. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Yep, I had a series 70 Govt. model. first thing you needed to do was replace the bushing for a solid one and install a HD firing pin spring to prevent discharges from inertia causing the firing pin to hit the chambered rounds primer if the gun was dropped. Then get a decent set of fixed sights and you were good to go.

15. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

I would stay with the Glock but the 1911 platform is very good. I would look into Kimbers and Wilsons for the best 1911 IMHO. Those are pricey but well worth it!

16. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

I used to carry a Colt series 70 Gold Cup on duty. Still would If I had one, excellent weapon and 100% reliable and way more accurate than I was/am.

17. Pepper45

Pepper45

I used to carry a 1911 on duty. I liked it, but I wouldn't consider it since we issued the 21SF. My Glock is simply a tool, a 1911 is a work of art. I qualify with my Dan Wesson annually for off-duty, but I can't imagine banging it around in a duty holster again.

18. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I carried a Para-Ordnance LDA single stack at my last department (I know, I know, its not a TRUE 1911) and the first time I shot it was at "informal qualification" at the department range. My scores didn't go up, per se (250/250 with both weapons) but I did feel better about the way I shot with the Para. The only problem I noticed was using powder-puff "match loads" I used in a competition. I got probably 8 or 9 jams. When I used full power loads or duty ammo, it ran like a top. I'm not saying its a bad idea to get REALLY familiar with it before saddling up with the new gun, but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying that platform. Now, I'm not a real fan of Colts, but I can't really find fault with them, I just prefer something else. Sorta like the Glock on my hip right now. Ha ha ha!

19. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Is this an issue with Colts? I've never owned one, so I wouldn't know. I do know that dropping my STI directly on the hammer/grip safety didn't set it off. Is it just a difference in the parts used, or was it just with older Colts?

20. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Yes it was an issue with the series 70 pistols. it is why they came out with the series 80 which employed a Firing pin block set up that locked the firing pin in place unless the trigger was pulled.

A very complicated solution when simply installing a heavy duty firing pin spring would solve the problem.

Here is a diagram of the series 80 block.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/s80fpb.htm

Most gun savvy 1911 folks avoided the series 80 like the plague, considering it to be a very risky "Fix" that just might result in turning the gun into a non functional firearm when you needed it most.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010