Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Nice piece, not sure of the going price though. You could go to gunbroker.com or autionarms.com and type in your piece and see what they are going for and go to the archives to see what a few has actually sold for, or use ur google.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
9mm, .38 Super, .45ACP?

Around here, most Colt Series 70s will bring at least $700, but there are so many things that can make that price go up: actual model (Gov't, Commander ~ Gold Cup, etc.) condition of course, caliber, box & paperwork, grips, original finish, modifications, etc.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
If it is a series 70 it is a series 70. They quit making 1911A1s in 1945.

I never saw a Parkerized S70 or even a dull black oxide like most of the 1991A1s.

·
Registered
126,695 Posts
If it is a series 70 it is a series 70. They quit making 1911A1s in 1945.

I never saw a Parkerized S70 or even a dull black oxide like most of the 1991A1s.
Jim, I'm talking about the frame. It's an A1 frame.

I realize it's not a true spec 1911A1. Most 1911s on the market today are a mixture of everything, but probably 95% use the A1 frame with the cut out behind the trigger.

Having said that, some of the Series 70 Government models weren't all that far off A1 spec with the short trigger and arched MSH.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Just trying to preserve the purity of the language against an Internet Community that thinks the distinction between "clip" and "magazine" represents real expertise but will call anything that comes down the pike a "1911."
I don't think pointing out 1925 features carried over into commercial production as defining a "1911A1" is a big improvement. Better than calling anything without a firing pin obstruction a "Series 70", though.

·
Registered
126,695 Posts
Just trying to preserve the purity of the language against an Internet Community that thinks the distinction between "clip" and "magazine" represents real expertise but will call anything that comes down the pike a "1911."
I don't think pointing out 1925 features carried over into commercial production as defining a "1911A1" is a big improvement. Better than calling anything without a firing pin obstruction a "Series 70", though.
It's all good, my friend.

I just go by the frame. Technically most of them are not true 1911s or 1911-A1s. I consider them closer to A1 spec than they are to original 1911 spec, since they use an A1 frame.

I don't think calling a Series 70 a 1911-A1 is any worse than calling it a 1911. After all, it's closer to A1 spec than it is to 1911 spec.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Yes, and Jeff Cooper even liked the collet bushing which IS the defining element of Series 70 guns.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
first off I agree I have never seen a series 70 that was parkerized unless it was refinished out side the factory. IF it is all original and in good shape 700 bucks is fair. if it has been refinished, modified from original form (unless done by a reputable smith with documents to back up the work) go down to about 550. Be very wary of guns "fixed" by bubba in the tool shed.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Other than the phosphate coated (park'd) military weaponry, I don't think I've seen a factory park'd commercial MkIV, 70 or 80 series.

The '91-A1s with the cheaper black finish, sure.

Did Colt finish any in this trim during the strike when they were making everything more (ahem) "tactical" and if so, were those still 70 series or had they gone to the FPB/80 by that time? ('86-'90 timeframe)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies, it is a mk IV .45 acp government series 70. It looked to be in quite rough shape, so I did not buy it.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Thanks for the replies, it is a mk IV .45 acp government series 70. It looked to be in quite rough shape, so I did not buy it.
Don't judge a gun by its cover. I bought an MkIV Series 70 that was well used for a most attractive price and she's a shooter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts