colorblindness

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by g17insurance, May 18, 2005.

1. g17insurance

g17insurance

hello, i was recently accepted into the army and when i was at meps getting my phyisical they said i was red/green colorblind. i was looking to be an airborn MP but i know that is out of the question now and alot of other jobs. and i also cant get a SECRET clearance because of a juvenile record. i was wondering if anybody here has dealt with this and what are some good jobs, like more combat or field oriented, i just dont want to be stuck behind a desk or work in a warehouse, i know i can ask my recruiter but i would rather ask people with no bias.
    thanks.

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

If "combat and field oriented" is what you're looking for you may be out of luck. Even 11B (combat infantryman) requires normal red/green color vision.

3. g17insurance

g17insurance

yeah, i just went to meps and the only jobs that came up were medic,and aviation ops that i could not get becaue of security clearance, they made a call and got me a waiver to be a 88w truck driver. And body here know anything about that MOS?

4. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

88W? What's that? I know M, T, U, N, and a few more, but no W.

I am having a little trouble believing you're getting a straight story for two reasons. 1. I know MP's with red/green colorblindness, and 2. they really want MP recruits right now.

The bigger problem is going to be the clearance. If you plan on making the Army a career you're going to find this limits promotions past E-6.

5. g17insurance

g17insurance

yeah, your right it is 88M, I could have gotten MP because once i told them i wanted to be one they jumped on it, but i got a juvenile record so i could not. all the stuff i did, i told them and got a waiver for it all. i was told that once your in the army and serve honorbly that you can get a secret clearance.
    anyway, i told them i wanted 88K, but the guy said that they were giving colorblind waivers only if you were to be 88M, im not sure if that was a way to get truck drivers, i dont have a problem with that, but there has to be other indemand MOS's that i could get a colorblind waiver for that dont involve combat because i understand that they dont want a colorblind person in the field. i want to serve but my options are limited and it took alot for me just to get this far.i did get an E-2 and 20k and 52k college fund with the 88M.
    if anyone knows what a 88M driver will do so i have a heads up it will be appreciated.

6. Andrew Tacquard

Andrew Tacquard

Have you thought about the Marine Corps. They might have different requirements. Just a thought.

7. baileym76

baileym76

88M is a truck driver, and that means driving convoys in Iraq. I have several friends who have done that job over there, and they all say that it is a nightmare. Imagine driving a semi truck through Iraq. You are kind of a big ass target.

8. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

88M is a truck driver. I had 70 of them in my last unit/deployment. You will be in the field. You will see a lot of country. You will work long nasty hours in miserable conditions. You will get shot at. You will not have armor. You are more likely to die or be injured in a traffic accident (which have caused about half our casulties so far).

If you get stationed CONUS get a Class A license. You can use a military vehicle for the road test.

Your past record will haunt you throughout your career.

Have fun at Ft Leonard Wood.

9. g17insurance

g17insurance

thanks alot for the info, i understand that if i go in the army i will be in danger, but being a truck driver is something i would not want to be in the civilain world so the training would be worthless. yall seem to know alot so if you dont mind me asking what does the 91W Medic do, and is there a shortage in that field?
    thanks for the response

10. Dave in Idaho

Dave in Idaho

I have the same type of colorblindness and had a secret clearance, was jump qualled at Ft. Benning and was assigned at one time to the infantry. Granted I am a former Marine. BUT, I would go talk to another recruiter before you sign anything. Why? Because there is a huge demand for truck drivers right now and MP is a hard MOS to get at times. Not everyone is gung ho to be a truck driver IMHO.
    For what it is worth be sure they have YOUR best interest in mind and not theirs!
    If you really want to be an MP ask around and be ready to wait for ahile until a slot comes open. And don't buy the, "If you agree to be a cook you can immediately ask for a lateral transfer to MP school. A lot of guys do it."
    Get everything stated in writing on your contract. 99% of the recruiters are good guys but watch out for the other ones.

Hope it works out for you!
    Dave