close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colorado to California POST help...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by SkiCop, Feb 17, 2010.

1. SkiCop

SkiCop

California POST seems to be the most complicated POST system I have seen. I have 7 years experience as an Officer, Detective, Sergeant, and K9 Officer. It appears that I can waive having to go back to a basic academy.

Any of you experienced folks make the jump from Colorado to California? If so I would love any helpful hints that you might have. Thank you.

2. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

Why is gods name would you move to the PRK ?

3. ugly8604

ugly8604

Let's face it, it doesn't get any better than the sunny beaches of Socal. You rednecks are just jealous.

4. SkiCop

SkiCop

Its for family issues. I am from there and know it too well. I love Colorado more than words can express but my family doesnt share that. I am looking for a PD on the beaches of SoCal where I grew up.

5. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

I went from CA to CO.

All I can offer is a suggestion you change your screen name. Its being revoked!

6. SDforce

SDforce Desk Jockey

We had a Jefferson Co. Deputy lateral over here to my agency a year ago. He just did the CA POST 3 week transition course. Our agency sent him to it and even paid for room and board. It's just classroom stuff.

I'll get some more info for you. What agencies are you looking at? We're still hiring laterals. $5,000 signing bonus and vacation time based on years on.... but we're in the valley.

Since you're looking for beach cities in SoCal, Huntington Beach and Torrance PD are great agencies. I'm not sure if they're hiring though.

7. SkiCop

SkiCop

Im really interested in HBPD but they are not hiring at the moment. Im in no rush and getting my ducks in a row at the moment. I was thinking about Laguna as well. The community of Laguna is very simlar to the touristy, wealthy, other lifestyle stuff where I currently work. But HB would be my #1 choice at the moment. I am still in the info gathering stage so things might change. I used to surf near the pier there before school alot. It seems like it has the tourist feel but still alot of bad stuff that needs to be handled by the sheepdogs of the world.

And yes I would have to change my screen name to surfcop!

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

You can take the transition course, but we recently just had a guy apply from one of the Carolinas who just got the POST waiver and he was eligible for hire just like that. He didn't even go to class, just took the knowledge test and passed and got the waiver.

9. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

Subscribing. I plan on doing this in a couple of years once my retirement is fully vested if I don't go fed.

10. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

The way economics are in CA at this time, I would stay with an employer I know can pay me in a month!

11. blueiron

blueiron

In about ten years or less, the entire nation will be financially insolvent and every town, city, county, and state that relies on federal funding for budget assistance won't be able to afford the basics.

California is merely on the bleeding edge.

12. MarcDW

I agree, but I rather have this problem later then sooner!
    You bring up an interesting point:
    How will towns get the money to pay their employees very soon?
    IMHO that would be through property taxes, because that is the only thing you can't hide or carry away!
    So even if your house is paid off, you might not be able to afford it in CA.
    One other problem will be the interest which has to be paid.
    This will be in the future the biggest expense!

13. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

Wow, so there is someone willing to go from beautiful Colorado to California voluntarily. I would've lost that bet. Wouldn't it be easier and less painful to just get a new family?

14. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

Uhhhh, has it occurred to you that I might just be from Socal originally ? Maybe I might know what I am talking about.

To the OP, I can understand family concerns.

15. mikegun

mikegun

my opinion, i was a cop and deputy in calif for 28yrs, got hurt otj and wanted to return to work to soon dr would not release me,suggested i take up a hobby, i should go to colorado and learn to fish when i told him my hobby was the street, but i went to co.took up fishing and retired,here, colorado is a great place to live, but if u want to be a cop, you cant beat calif,for the rush and action, but to transfer there now in califs finincal condition, NOW IS NOT THE TIME, STAY IN CO.....JUST A THOUGHT btw i am a horrible fisherman but i love it, its all about that, and i had to face it the job, like it or not comes to an end.....wait a while before changing to a calif dept as u may end up wo a job and a starving bunch of kids.....just my opinion. pm me if i can be of help..

16. murrietaglock

murrietaglock stickboy

17. MarcDW

Holy krap:

"Filing Deadline: None, recruitment is continuous. Those interested are encouraged to apply promptly as recruitment may be terminated at any time without notice."
    I guess they have people running faster then coming!!!

"Tobacco Use - All employees hired after January 1, 1999, shall not smoke or use any tobacco products at any time while on, or off duty."
    Interesting. I never smoked and I hate when I get in the cruiser and someone smoked before which is against policy, but who would snitch!.

18. SkiCop

SkiCop

Thank you so much for the posts. I am worried about the economics of it all without a doubt. We have had to lay off a few code enforcement but it hasnt hit the Officers more than no raises and a few frozen positions. If I can put it off I will. I think Im gonna knock out the POST stuff so if (x?)wife takes my lil one back to SoCal I will be able to transition quickly if need be. I really do love it here in Colorado but my little one is my world.

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

You sign a declaration that you would not use any tobacco. Riverside County and a few other places have it too, under the guise of health care benefits cost reasons.

Personally, I think it's bull****. What I do on my time is my business as long as it is legal. You can regulate what I do in uniform but not on my lunch or breaks either as long as it is legal.