close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colorado State University Bans CCW's

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Kalmah, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Colorado State University bans concealed weapons on 2 campuses
    http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...iversity-bans-concealed-weapons-on-2-campuses

PUEBLO — Without discussion, the CSU Board of Governors on Tuesday morning banned weapons on the university system’s Fort Collins and Pueblo campuses, including guns carried by concealed-carry permit holders.

The board unanimously approved the plan on a voice vote. It takes effect Aug. 1.

The university already bans weapons in residence halls and, under the ban, virtually all weapons will be barred from the campuses, although there will be narrow exemptions for academic, military and law-enforcement purposes, or if someone can show they are in imminent danger.

Under CSU’s ban, students, faculty and staff would be administratively banned from carrying weapons on campus. Anyone else coming onto campus with a weapon would be asked to either lock it up or leave. Failure to do so would result in the university administratively banning that person from campus with the equivalent of a trespassing ticket, CSU officials have said.

CSU officials say the ban will improve safety by reducing the number of weapons on campus but have not provided any evidence of specific problems. Faculty and staff support the ban, while students have opposed it.

Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden opposes the ban, saying that concealed weapons improve safety. He said CSU lacks the power to abrogate citizens’ Second Amendment rights.

At a news conference earlier this month on the Oval at Colorado State University, members of the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners said state law prohibits CSU from banning legally carried concealed weapons from campus.

The group has threatened a lawsuit and has helped students at the University of Colorado at Boulder sue over a similar ban.

Rocky Mountain Gun Owners persuaded CSU about eight years ago to drop a similar plan after holding a similar news conference. "If the Board of Governors insists on a fight, we will bring it," said RMGO attorney Terry Ryan.

2. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER

Let the lawsuits begin. As a current full time student at another Colorado college, It is quite frustrating that these pointy headed elites have decided they can dictate where and when I can have the means to protect myself. I hope they loose big time in court!

3. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Communism is alive and well in American Academia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

My grandfather lived in America he told me it was a pretty nice place... He also said "Never forget the freedoms you have to be cry babies and whine... is due to me and my friends/Family/Brother in Arms during WWII bleeding...dying...killing for your right to do it."