Colorado House passed gun control measures

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nemesis., Feb 18, 2013.

1. voyager4520

voyager4520

The new language of the magazine capacity ban is 15 rounds for rifles and handguns, 8 rounds for shotguns. It does grandfather in previously owned magazines, but there's no way to differentiate between magazines purchased before and after the ban. Transfer of those grandfathered magazines becomes illegal. The language of the bill specifies serial numbers and manufacture dates for magazines above those capacities made within the state, not imported into the state because they wouldn't be allowed to be imported into the state except for sale to law enforcement.

Chances are it will pass the state Senate and be signed into law by the Governor, if we're lucky we can get enough Dem Senators to vote no but chances are slim for that. We need to focus on a petition for a ballot initiative to nullify this law specifically and hopefully any other gun control laws they manage to pass. There are a few more bills that haven't made it to the House floor yet, one is an AWB.

My Representative Leroy Garcia(D) voted yes on expanding background checks to include all private in-state transfers, he voted no on the rest. I didn't vote for him the first time and I'm not going to vote for him in the future. My Senator Angela Giron(D) has not stated how she's going to vote on any of them, though she will likely vote yes.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I hope that your ballot initiative works if you end up needing to go that route.

3. Rustin

Rustin

Wow. What a slippery slope we are on.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  4. JimBean

JimBean

There is no chance of enforcing the magazine limit. They can't possibly prove that THIS magazine was or wasn't in your possession from just looking at it.

5. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Not entirely correct. For instance, look at a Magpul mag. It has a manufacture date on it. If you have a Mfg date of Aug 2013 and you cant have any new one after July 1, they can prove it.

Many items have manufacture dates on them.

Also, this will work like hookers. The police will set up stings either trying to sell magazines or buy them. They will get people on the "transfer" part of it.

Finally, police will have "reasonable suspicion" to arrest people because of possession of a magazine. You get the expense of a lawyer, etc when you are arrested.

6. LippCJ7

LippCJ7

I like to disagree with Dana too but he is spot on in reference to how the republicans handled the last governors race, they looked like a couple monkeys humping a football, makes me sick to this day, now look at the mess they have made.

The Republican leadership needs to be tar and feathered in Colorado

7. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Also keep in mind that a Democrat Governor before hickenlooper screwed up so badly, he didnt even run for re-election.

Colorado has had many Democrat governors. However, they have not grabbed guns. In general, until this go around, I would say CO democrats have been "moderate" compared to the left and right coast DEMs.

Also, as a general statement, CO has for a while (up until this) been a state that is pro-individual freedom and not so much into religion. Except in a few areas, the christian right don't get elected. That really hurt the repubs in CO this last election cycle. They really played hard on the anti-woman stance of the republican party in CO political advertising.

8. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I personally believe Hickenlooper is hoping two State senators defect, at least for HB1224. Then the mess goes away from him. I dot think he really wants to have to veto or approve this. On one hand I think he is democrat and believes in gun control, on the other, I think he sees the political fallout.

A funny comment was posted on Hicks facebook page. It said essentially, "congrats gov,you are upto 23K likes. Have a look at magpul, they have 163K likes"

This tells you something. Gun owners wont forget in two years.

9. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Very well said and good explanation of the Gov.'s election and the redistricting debacle.

I spoke to our Reps and Sen King, but we already knew they would vote no on all.

totally unenforceable.

I hope we can get 3 Dems, otherwise it's ballot initiative

10. zulu01

zulu01

It will be interesting to see what Hickenlooper does if these bills make it out of the Senate. His Facebook page has been inundated with pro gun supporters comments against the bills. I think I only saw one person who was pro gun control.

http://www.facebook.com/JohnHickenlooper?fref=ts

11. IceAxe

IceAxe

I can't find a link at the moment, but I recall reading that MagPul announced they will stop putting dates on their mags regardless of how this turns out.

12. pmcombs

pmcombs

In regards to the dates on a P-Mag, what happens if the date portion of it happened to be "worn off" from "use"? Then there would be no way of determining the date of it, unless it was something along the lines of a generational change.

13. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

(b) IF A PERSON WHO IS ALLEGED TO HAVE VIOLATED SUBSECTION
    (1) OF THIS SECTION ASSERTS THAT HE OR SHE IS PERMITTED TO LEGALLY POSSESS A LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH (a) OF THIS SUBSECTION
    (2), THE PROSECUTION HAS THE BURDEN OF PROOF TO REFUTE THE ASSERTION.

14. JimBean

JimBean

You just explained the loophole I was refering to. As long as the magazine has a compliant manufacture date, they still will not know if the magazine was in the possession of a state resident by the date the law goes into effect. For example, 3 years from today a CO resident can go to a gunshow in a nearby state and purchase a truckload of thirty round magazines manufactured before the law and drive them across state lines. Unless they have strong proof that will standup in court, there is nothing they can do about it. Even the newer manufactured magazines without any date markings or distinct indicators will be very difficult to determine if they are new.

15. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

That "loophole" wasn't in the original version of the bill last week.

Here was what was in the bill before it went to committee:

(a); Except that this presumption shall not apply if the large-capacity magazine has been defaced.

16. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

This already happens in Wyoming/Colorado with respsect to fireworks. Almost every firework is illegal in CO and I dont think there are any illegal fireworks in Wyoming. There are literally fireworks stands maybe 400 yards (if that far) across the Wyoming border from Colorado.

17. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

How do you know that there are not identifiers in the magazines that you cannot see?

18. JimBean

JimBean

The date marking identifiers would only apply to mags made after the law. Look on most of your gun mags for marks and try to determine when they were made. I have been a gun nut for many years and I still couldn't just pickup any mag and tell you when they were made. Are CO cops going to inspect gun magazines with a magnifying glass at every traffic stop and check point?

19. JimBean

JimBean

No defacing required. Any mags made before 2013 will already be date compliant. There is no simple way to prove when these became your property in the state of CO prior to 2013.

20. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

All is not always as it appears on the surface.