Colorado chain, traction law.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by larry_minn, Sep 19, 2020.

1. wyntrout

wyntrout

Usually... non-pandemic times... our travels include sandy beaches here in NE FL and then snow in the Winter. M+S have worked so far, but I do carry two sets of cable "chains" for my AWD GMC Savana van. I carry other stuff, too, such as traction pads, but in the 34+ years that we've been going to SW CO for Christmas, I've never had a problem.
    My son got married in Ohio just north of Columbus in the middle January 2018 and we drove from NE FL there and back... just beating a Winter storm with heavy snow on the way in, and just beating another on the way South again. I did have a chance to play in decent snow with my AWD and practice recovering from some pretty wild skids and drifting in a large and empty parking lot... plowed, but lightly packed snow... great for my practice, though I did scare myself a time or two with almost 3 tons of van rapidly sliding sideways towards piled snow... great fun!
    I just don't understand why people don't all have AWD vehicles in snow climes. I would have a set of Winter tires on steel rims if I lived up North! I did in Germany and Maine.

2. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

Money, they cost more.

3. wyntrout

wyntrout

That's why I got steel rims... whole setup from Tirerack or whatever, I mailordered with tires mounted and balanced on the rims... 4 for less than $500 shipped... back in 1986/87. I got a taller profile tire setup, too. Every bit of clearance helps, even with 4WD or AWD. THe Audi Quattro had locking differentials... center and rear. When all locked up, you could sure tell on dry pavement. After service the technician left it like that. There's a control on the center console, so easy to disengage or engage as needed. I never "needed" all locked up, though.

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It depends on needs, conditions. My wife worked at Grand Forks. Front wheel drive zero issues. Decent tires, common sense. Everyone else bought 4wd and complained about cost, mpg, repairs... AWD are great when they work. When system gets bad. It’s bad.
    I prefer fwd in most winter conditions in MN over 4wd. I normally have at least 1 4wd available. In CO. Fwd unless going up mountains. Winter, summer. As I go off pavement onto minimally maintained “trails” I get loaned the keys to unlock gates, chains, cable blocking access.
    One car. It would likely be a AWD.

5. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Do you know the winter tire laws in Germany?

It is "mandatory" (well, you wont get issued a ticket unless you cause an accident or road blockage, and your insurance doesn't pay if you ignore it) from

O bis O

Very easy to remember.

O bis O is

Oktober bis Oster

So, October until Easter.

The Germans have actually updated the law and it is illegal to drive on roads with ice without winter tires whenever ice is present so the "O bis O" is a little outdated but people still use it.

6. wyntrout

wyntrout

It was 1983 to 1986 and I got them because the BMW was terrible in snow, let alone ice. I bought a set through my dealership and got them installed. I couldn't get out of my driveway with any snow without them. I sold them with the car after I got my AWD Audi Quattro. It didn't have ABS, though. I think all four wheels fit in the BMW trunk. It had a full-sized spare and I got 5 new wheels and tires when my car was stolen in Amsterdam. I got to Amsterdam twice... once to visit and the second time to pick up my recovered and repaired car... like new, except for the stereo and speakers I had installed. Fortunately the car was found and USAA's local insurance/BMW got it repaired while I was still driving the rental from Amsterdam... an Opel stationwagon, I think. It was stolen on my 38th birthday... the policeman noticed as I reported the incident... the second in hours. It was within sight of the police substation and broken into to steal the stereo and speakers... then they came back or someone did, and stole the whole car, stealing the wheels and the nice rear add-on spoiler. It probably cost me about $750, including two deductibles for $250 each!