close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

College Textbook Websites

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by miamiglock19, Jan 5, 2010.

1. miamiglock19

miamiglock19

Lets try this one more time. Apparently I started the year off on the wrong foot and wrote in the wrong forum. :whistling:

Hi guys/girls,

I decided to go back to school this semester and finish getting my degree. Classes started yesterday and I'm trying to find out any websites that can help me save some money. Some of the textbooks are going for $200 USED!!! Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. My apologies if you had already responded to my previous thread but it has been removed. I made myself a new new years resolution and its to be 100% certain that I start a thread in its correct forum.

Thanks in advance

MG19

2. gsotec

gsotec

I've had good results from Valor and Amazon for teaching materials and textbooks

3. farley45

farley45

Amazon is the only one I used, and to tell the truth I usually just buy them from the university because of lack of motivation.

Just make sure that you purchase the correct edition.

4. Sw1tch

Sw1tch

cheapbooks.com is a great website. You can search the isbn of the book and it lists something like 10 places and the prices of the book at that place (ebay, amazon, etc) both new and used.

What's really nice is the option to rent books, usually for $50/4months. Great deal if you know you won't need to write in the books, and you can even determine your own rental terms.

I'm searching for textbooks myself. It's no fun paying so much, all I do is think of all the ammo I could be buying. :(

5. armorplated

armorplated

Amazon is good. I got a teacher's edition for a stats class that came in real handy.

6. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

Your best bet is to just type in the ISBN number into Google and go from there. For the most part I have found the best deals through Amazon since they sell used books as well. Make sure you check the editions very carefully.

Abebooks is pretty good too, but the ISBN search has worked best for me.

7. ruhroh

ruhroh

8. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

9. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

10. HarlDane

HarlDane

I get mine used off of Amazon, I generally buy older editions unless the Professor has stated it won't work.

I'll be buying my last round of textbooks in the next few weeks. :banana:

11. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

www.gettextbooks.com

Enter your book title, ISBN, author or whatever. It searches the net for you and gives you a list of sites that are selling it and organizes by price. Too easy!

12. Cobra6

Cobra6

I have used bookswap.com and half .com - but I have gotten decent prices and better results from Amazon.com -

I also sell my kids books on there (and mine from grad school) - I just sold 6 books last week for a little over $100 (net - minus their cut and shipping allowance) that my daughter would have gotten $30 for (at best) at the campus bookstore.

I got a lot better results and traffic buying/selling at Amazon - I didn't have luck selling much on bookswap.
    I have been able top somewhat offset my book costs by selling the old books on there - just don't get greedy - price them to sell, and get them listed early - this week is prime buying time, and a lot of the deals are already gone.
    I usually get them shipped straight to school, then the kids bring them home at the end of the semester and we list them for sale on Amazon. I usually ship them because they want them sent out in two business days if possible, and it is a hassle for the kids to get shipping supplies together on short notice (unless you want to pay a premium to ship.

I have two kids in college right now, so this helps some with expenses.

13. jpa

jpa CLM

Go to bigwords.com. It has a search engine that searches all the major sites mentioned above for the isbn, the title, author, etc. I go to the bookstore, copy down the ISBN for the books I need, then order them online.

Then when the semester is done or you finish studying for finals, put your books up for sale on half.com. I've recouped about 90% of what I paid for my books that way.

14. Pop Gunner

Pop Gunner

www.chegg.com
    thats where alot of students merely rent this semesters books.
    my son and alot of the people at that campus went though chegg,amazon and books for cheap.

15. txjustin

txjustin

half.com or ebay.com

16. bchandler

bchandler

They are actually one in the same now.

Also, you could check out bittorrent. That's a pretty nice store :whistling: