College seeking out students with intellectual disabilities

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by aspartz, Oct 4, 2015.

1. aspartz

aspartz

2. Judge Bean

Judge Bean

This has been going on for a long time. Colleges will do anything for football players.

3. aspartz

aspartz

These are NOT football players -- these are the kids who were in special ed.

4. Koba

Koba

I like this, a lot actually. If they can do the work, why not give them a chance to earn some money? They want to live real lives too. I hope this catches on at more schools.
    If on the flip side some of the not disabled students get a new respect for people they'd previously written off I think that's a good thing too.

And for the record, there is nothing wrong with mainstreaming the kids that can be. It is greatly detrimental to the kids capable of being in the reg ed room but are not there. I accept that some kids (mine included) can't be mainstreamed but I like giving them a chance

5. aspartz

aspartz

What happens when these disabled students hold back or disrupt the class? Do you think that will make the others like them more.
    College is for learning PROFESSIONAL skills, not DIVERSITY.

6. Koba

Koba

where was diversity ever mentioned? I read it looking, missed it if it was there. That said, it's pretty clear the current generation would not be hurt by some tolerance. Dealing with diversity is a professional skill in my mind...
    If they are a problem, then they can't do the work, and no issue. i suspect they are not taking calculus 400, so this is likely not a huge thing. If the class is typing 100, I bet they are fine.
    I actually don't push for my own son to be mainstreamed for the reason you mention, he would slow things down and distract the teacher. There is a middle line to be found here.

7. Dave514

Dave514

Higher education can help these kids find their maximum potential. I went to school with a mentally disabled kid who took mostly mainstream classes. He did better than the lazy kids.

Koba likes this.
  8. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

If possible, they could scour the roles of Obama voters for mentally challenged individuals. Plenty on those lists. Maybe the parents voting for Obama would be an indicator.

9. azdave

azdave

Wow... I see a whole lot of ignorance in this thread.
    Since when is the USA NOT the place that a person, no matter who or "what" they are, can self actualize to be all they want to be? I guess "some" people just don't meet the criteria of "other" people to be allowed the chance of success.
    Someone sure has worked hard to read all they possibly can into creating some negative reason to find this bad....as mentioned, WHERE is diversity mentioned or alluded to??? Where is there any indication that they will be disruptive??? It sure sounds like they have been vetted well to me and are appropriate for this.

Likewise, NO where did it indicate they are there on the taxpayers dime.... yet its OK for the taxpayer to often help fund through "sports scholarships" some dumb*** that has NO interest in an education, and is only good at chasing a ball around a court or field and gets to be there for free.

As well, these people will probably work twice as hard and with twice the dedication as those spoiled little yuppie kids that sit there doing the bare minimum with there face buried in their "smart" phone and texting furiously all day. Just think.... if they end up with a REAL job after this, they probably won't be getting--nor want a disability check from Uncle Sugar.
    Wouldn't it be funny if they ended up more successful than anyone that finds this wrong? Maybe that's the problem.... fear they would end up better off than any of the naysayers or their lazy, under-achieving kids that are costing them a fortune.

Koba likes this.
  10. walt cowan

walt cowan

That explains all those Ph.D.'s!