College Football Targeting Penalty...Hate it or Not?? Was Ohio State Ripped Off??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Ok guys and gals, I’d like to get your thoughts on the TARGETING penalty as written and enforced this year and years previous. I’d also like to hear whether you think Ohio State got robbed or whether the crew called a great game.

For me, I absolutely DESPISE this penalty. One of my main problems is that many times the offensive ball carrier will lower his head and make contact but NEVER incurs a penalty and ejection. It also encourages abuse by the offensive team....just EXACTLY like what we saw in the CLEMSON and OSU game.
    The defender did not target the Clemson QB. He was hit one the shoulder pad and side of the helmet. As you’ll recall, there was no flag on the play and the next thing we saw was where the officials were reviewing the play, thus looking and searching for a violation. The Clemson QB pushed the likelihood of getting an automatic first down and having one of the top defensive backs kicked out of the game. After contact he played possum for about 60 seconds or so to enable the booth to examine the Non-penalty call and find the targeting infraction.

There were already rules in place to protect the ball carrier or other offensive players. I don’t really see any targeting infractions where the running back is canned for barreling thru the line and hitting a defensive player.

This garbage of allowing the refs to go searching for a penalty that absolutely changed the entire outcome of the game. Ohio State literally, thoroughly dominated CLEMSON the first 25 minutes of the half but after the non-existent Targeting call and ejection, Clemson gets the auto 1st when it should’ve been 4th and 15 with the Buckeyes back to take the punt.
    Then in the next series of downs, Clemson gets a very questionable pass interference call that enabled them to score their first TD of the game. They had ZERO offensive output until these calls came about.
    After the ejection and then subsequent TD by Clemson, it was readily apparent that they had lost all momentum.

Oh and how about the fumble that Ohio State returns for a TD which was then wiped off the scoreboard and gave CLEMSON the ball back. Supposedly the offensive player didn’t make a “football” move....whatever that is.
    The replay official said they had to review that supposed fumble in real time, not using slow motion. Carrier took 3 steps, trying to advance the ball, but you can’t use the system in place to make the correct calls...only REAL TIME REVIEWS in that play.

if you’re playing along at home boys and girls....the officials cannot use the slo-mo replay to get the call right on the field when it involves a fumble and the replay official didn’t think there was a “football move” to award possession to the defense.
    Then when there was no targeting call at all, the Clemson QB engineers one so that the booth moron simply finds it to get the 1st down, 15 yard penalty and then in the biggest blow to Ohio State, their ejected player was hugely important to the game.

that game was one of the worst officiated calls this entire year.

the Refs should NOT change the outcome of the game. They should strive to only make calls on the actual fouls instead of what went on in that ridiculous excuse for a playoff game.

looks like Coach Saban has some serious competition in DABO to see which one of them can get the highest number of lips that can simultaneously be planted on their asses by those in the Media.

Have a good weekend guys and gals. larry

Glasgow and Officer's Match like this.
  2. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

problem solved...

Flag+Football+-+Quick+Release+Belts+-+Set+of+12_.jpg

mike from st pe, nerr and Rotn1 like this.

3. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Yes, Ohio State got ripped off.

4. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

After the gift of the 2002 National Championship, I wouldn't cry too much if I was a Buckeye fan.

Not a fan of either team and I didn't find the refs skewing the bad calls one way or another. I saw lots of missed holding calls, PI calls and unflagged targeting calls that went the Buckeye's way as well.

I don't think the game was terribly officiated either, compared to many others this year.

Stop crying, your boys lost, Clemson was better, even on a bad day. Deal with it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  5. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Yes, the way the targeting penalty gets applied is ridiculous. The calls that I think are the most egregious is when the defensive guy is going full speed ahead, just about to make the tackle, ball carrier lowers his head, or turns his body, OR drops down trying to avoid the hit, BAM targeting called. Sure, tackler maybe was coming in high but only because offensive player changed position did heads collide.

azbuckeye likes this.
  6. BBMW

BBMW

Football is a dying sport. Because of CTE, a lot of parents, probably the majority, are not letting they boys play it any more, especially in school. So as time goes on, the fan base is going to dwindle.

On the flip side, the liability created by CTE is forcing the college and professional leagues to neuter the game, making it less interesting to watch.

So learn to like Soccer. That's the future.

TheDreadnought, Rotn1 and Dragline like this.
  7. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

Football is a changing sport. Not necessarily dying. You and I may not like it (and I don't, personally), but there are plenty of fans that do like the changes.

And soccer causes CTE too. Headers. Which means it will also change.

And baseball is the future. Funny how things come and go, no?

ranger1968 likes this.
  8. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

[​IMG]

Yep, targeting.

Don't lead with the crown of your head/helmet. No spearing, especially above the shoulders.

9. Speleothem

Speleothem

Did you see Edwards-Helaire get lit up in the Peach Bowl?
    It would have been criminal not to call that.

Teecher45 likes this.
  10. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Just because helmets hit doesn't mean it's targeting, although that's how it's being called. Is he supposed to look up at the sky while tackling so he can't see where he's going ? Or maybe look down at the ground and risk getting his neck sprained when his chin gets hammered into his chest ? I'm sorry, but when you're trying to tackle someone your head goes first and sometimes chit happens.

Officer's Match and northslope66 like this.
  11. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"I'm sorry, but when you're trying to tackle someone your head goes first and sometimes chit happens."

Sure does. Hit them with the top of the helmet and it's targeting.

Yes, that means it's targeting - intent doesn't seem to matter. So yep, you're responsible for where the top of your helmet goes. Why wouldn't you be? You're tackling a moving target, you can't expect the guy to stand still so you can launch yourself headfirst at him.

12. northslope66

northslope66

something thats coached to players and has been since a was a kid , is “ see what you hit” in other words keep your head up, dont lead with it . do that and 99.99999 percent of the time , everything is cool.

beaversgs and Teecher45 like this.
  13. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco

Even though it constitutes targeting, in my opinion, if the QB lower his head then the defensive player should be fine. If you watch the play, he goes in to make the tackle. If he had his hands down, it’s different. If he launches with the head, it’s targeting.

Teecher45 and 686 AR15 G17Fan like this.
  14. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

No. Too many field goals and dumb penalties by Ohio State.

15. thespork

thespork

It's still a violent sport..
    Playing it the way the used to play it, with what we know now, would be criminal..

Teecher45 and 686 AR15 G17Fan like this.
  16. jakedaawg

jakedaawg

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Yeah, um no...Lawrence clearly dipped down....

Yes, Bucks got screwed at least twice...

Pretty sure I hate Clemson and that damn Dabo more than that blue and yellar team up north!

Officer's Match likes this.
  17. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Seems like intent should mean everything when the very definition of the word "targeting" means intentional. By that standard Lawrence Taylor should have been banned from ever playing another game. Of course he didn't mean to break Theismann's leg, but hey, he did it so he should pay the price. Breaking bones is not acceptable EVER, intent be damned !!

I understand the intent of the rule but the way it's being implemented is ridiculous. IMO

18. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

In today's world can you imagine a qb getting bear hugged from behind and slammed down shoulder first into the turf ?

19. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

The penality was legit. Anybody remember football in the day when the objective was to stop the ball carrier by tackling him? You tackle below the waist....

Berto likes this.
  20. Berto

Berto woo woo

When they micromanage athletes crashing into each other at high speeds with interpretive calls, the game suffers. Its physics.