close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

College Basketball is Officially a Joke

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by czsmithGT, Apr 19, 2012.

1. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

First there is Baylor getting a slap on the wrist for recruiting violations that allowed them to assemble a team capable of winning the women's championship.

Now today we have Kentucky with the entire starting 5 of Freshmen ans sophs turning pro. I wonder if any of those 5 "student" athletes had even a passing acquaintance with a classroom.

Used to be a coach might bring in one ringer with immense talent and no desire for higher education to be there for a year and put his team over the top. Now it's a whole damn team of players with no thought whatsoever of being in college to learn anything.

2. 8th ID

8th ID

Being from Lexington, I'd like to address this.

The 5 'student' athletes had to make the grades or they wouldn't be on the team.

Let's say that there was a genius who enrolled at the University of Kentucky and that man/woman excelled in Cancer Research. And then about 1 1/2 years into college said genius was recruited by a drug company for let's say a salary of 2.5 million per year. What do you think the genius should do?

Sad as it is, the 'student' athletes' major is BASKETBALL. They excelled in their major, and some company is willing to pay them obscene amounts of money. Isn't that the reason everyone goes to college, to be a success?

Would you turn down the money?

3. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Very good point, you can argue education and some go back to school later and finish, when Caron Butler was playing at UConn he was considering coming back for another year but his mom had just been evicted and Im not saying these 5 are in the same boat but money plays a major role.

Now we can question how they spend the money or if they will even finish school or if they will become busts at the pro level but until they change the age limit requirement or grade level requirement (its at 1 year removed from high school graduation if I recall correctly), then we will continue to see this.

:50cal:

4. 8th ID

8th ID

Just another quick comment. I do agree that some rule changes on eligibility, etc. should probably be looked at. Please remember, college sports is a BUSINESS, no doubt about it. Calipari or anyone who coaches at UK is under extreme pressure to win,win, win. Just ask Tubby Smith about that---many times after losing a crucial game, Tubby would wake up to For Sale signs in his yard.

Calipari MUST win, this IS KY BASKETBALL, by God. I'm not that rabid of a fan, but MANY are, and the fans and sports writers here in town will never let Calipari or any other UK coach forget it. He will recruit the BEST players possible, knowing that they'll all probably be one-and-done. Calipari makes millions too.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  5. Blackshirts

Blackshirts

They already looked at eligibility and changed it from 0 years to 1 year. That is plenty for a basketball player. They get a year of college coaching and then move on. NFL you have to be 3 years, but it is a much more physical game. A kid right out of high school would get killed. It also has to do with business. College football makes too much money to allow 1 and done. College basketball is a much smaller revenue earner and even then player turn over year to year doesn't matter all that much. Turnover plays a much bigger role in football. Baseball players still going straight from high school.

It really isn't even a issue. There are only 60 picks in the NBA draft and not every one is a one and done so there is still plenty of talent left in college.

6. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

kentucky sold their soul for calipari , who has a graduation rate of less then 30 % :rofl:. everywhere he goes violations follow .
    im on tobacco road , UNC DUKE . they would never hire a coach like calipari ever.

i think there needs to be a 2 year rule in college and i think the nba needs to have a set age limit to go pro . period

but it wont happen . to much money . college basketball is not the joke - the joke is the NCAA

ALSO kentuckY gets players to stupid that cant get in an ACC SCHOOL

7. The Pirate

The Pirate Grandmaaaaaaa!!!!!!

I think deep down everybody knows its not a problem. It's all about money and entertainment.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"Let's say that there was a genius who enrolled at the University of Kentucky"

If you say so.

9. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. 8th ID

8th ID

NOW THAT is the best one ever! Gotta say though that if you're trying to get me riled up about something as stupid as basketball, well, you're not gonna have any luck:tongueout:

I could care less if there was ever another sport played, EVER.

11. 8th ID

8th ID

12. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

Always, always check for typos when calling someone else stupid!!!!

13. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

Let me get this straight. You are pissed off that these 5 players are taking a chance at making millions opposed to gaining a degree that might make them 100,000 a year??

oooooooooooo-kay..................

14. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

ahh typo schpo :rofl::rofl:

i dont check for speeling because basically i dont give a **** :wavey:

folks always revert to this instead of the statement because

1- they know it's true
    2- get but hurt :tongueout::tongueout:

and again my original statement is true 100%

15. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Obviously I care not one bit about what these 5 players do. I'm surprised you would come to that conclusion from my post. They are just hired guns biding their time before going to work for a living.

I'm talking about the sport of college basketball no longer having even the pretense of being played by so called student athletes.

Too bad the NBA doesn't go back to hiring high school players so guys who are not the slightest bit interested in getting an education don't clutter up the campus.

16. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i agree just let them go straight from high school , so that real school minded athletes can get their enjoyment of the college experience ,and stop wasting scholarships and money

wait a few years and kentucky will be on probation .

17. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

*butt hurt

18. RichJ

RichJ

Baylor's "recruiting violations" were for not documenting some phone calls and texts made to prospects. That's not that big of a deal, that's why they got a slap on the hand. That and the fact that coaches owned up to it when they found out about it and cooperated fully with the investigation.

Also, Coach Mulkey's daughter just happened to play on the same High School team as Britney Ginner and sat next to her dad during games; they sometimes talked about how great of a school Baylor was and that is considered a recruiting violation because Mulkey was the coach of Baylor. Again, not that big of a deal.

19. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco NRA Patron Life Member

I'm a UK b-ball fan to and Calipari is doing what only matters to people here: win. Players come and go and its not like Calipari is telling these kids to run, run, run....it's their choice. For the record two of the starting five were sophomores so they're not all one and done.

On another note, my true passion of college football The Alabama Crimson Tide went to the White House and had a ceremony today with the almighty Obama on their National Championship.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  20. Ragnar

Ragnar

Yeah, a few extra phone calls and texts are soooooo bad. No drugs involved, assault not mentioned, and no one died. Yeah, bad Baylor. :upeyes:

Perhaps you could point out the law that requires they spend 4 years in college.

What pollyanna dream-world have you been living in? Coaches have always tried to get the best players, even back when Knute Rockne was coaching. Grow up.