College athletics

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by wprebeck, Jun 16, 2020.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

So...this one is gonna hurt a few of ya.

It's an almost universal truth to be found on Glocktalk that colleges are bastions of liberal idiocy. Reality seems to bear out that belief, as well.

Question of the day - and one that just occurred to me:

If we (the collective of mainly conservative GT members) agree that colleges are liberal hellholes, and we agree on not supporting such things - then why do so many people here support college athletics?

For me, it's not a political issue at all. I don't support college athletics in its current form, simply because it makes a mockery of what college is SUPPOSED to be. Universities were formed to be institutions of higher education, not booster clubs for the school pocketbook. Academics and learning should be the focus of any postsecondary learning facility, but when football and basketball coaches are paid millions of dollars per year - that focus would seem to be lost.

Corruption is bad in college sports, as evidenced by investigation after investigation. I personally know the woman in the middle of the Louisville scandal (Katina Powell) on a professional basis. Money and influence change hands and scholarships are handed out to worthless people, simply because they play a game better than most.

Here's a radical idea - let's quit supporting college athletics with our money and viewership. March Madness and the NBA playoffs never happened, and we got along just fine. The world didn't stop, contrary to what most fans would have believed.

Force colleges to focus on academics, as they should, rather than high dollar athletes and coaches. If nothing else, it'll reduce the amount of money they have to peddle liberal ideas.

MDLibertarian, EOS, Cubdriver and 6 others like this.
  2. tm255

tm255

I pulled the plug a while back for many of the same reasons you did. Now, I see that the OSU coach has been threatened by a player who didn't like his T shirt, Iowa State has fired a coach because of racist accusations, and the head coach at Iowa State is under the microscope for "racism" and I predict likely to be fired.

This crap has got to stop and knuckling under is not the way to stop it.

B C and Doc McGlock like this.

3. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

I loved sports, especially football....but in today's state of affairs I could live without it , people watch it to escape their everyday lives...not for people disrespecting the flag and political correct bs.....

jcm3, Jan R Whitaker, jr24 and 2 others like this.
  4. WT

WT Millennium Member

Colleges are a business.

They hire and fire people and have income and expenses just like banks. They have fixed assets and depreciation just like railroads and chemical plants. They own large parcels of real estate, some in prime areas. They have divisions and departments which generate revenue just like big manufacturing companies. They have boards of directors and give some employees very high salaries and benefits.

One such revenue department is athletics. College sports are big business. Many schools use football teams to bring in tens of millions of dollars. Managers of a good team in a large school are well rewarded for their efforts and earn a very good income.

Some departments lose money. Those expenses are covered by the income generated by the football team.

If revenue does not cover expenses then the college can raise student fees.

J-Doo likes this.
  5. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

And? Colleges should be focused on their mission, not on playing a kid's game.

6. rock_castle

rock_castle Enjoys liberal temper tantrums & hissy fits

I don't watch sports of any kind. Eff 'em all.

fx77, BradD, JFrame and 2 others like this.
  7. Orive 8

Orive 8

For the past 3 years, the only game that I have deemed worthy of my attention has been the Army Navy game.

So yeah, you can say that I support college athletics :rolleyes:

8. WT

WT Millennium Member

That's your opinion. Others differ.
    The college administration is focused on money.

Darkangel1846 likes this.
  9. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

And I preferred college football. The kids played for pride and school. Pros played for how much $$$ they could squeeze out. Not to sound like obama but, how much $$$ do you need? I could do quite well the rest of my life on $1MM. When you make multi-millions each year, what do you do with (besides waste) all your money? I am saddened seeing former famous players making cheesy commercials for stuff. DUDE! What did you do with over $100MM ???

10. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

i believe some of these players are pushed through school because of their athletic talent which draws big $$$ for the school and dont really learn anything, young and dumb blowing cash on exotic cars etc with no plan for when football ends

robhic likes this.
  11. bdcochran

bdcochran

A study was done of who were the real focus of a college. I am NOT addressing a 2 year school that calls itself a "college", when it is not. The target audience is graduate students, not undergraduate students.

Graduate students do the grunt work. The grunt work results in publications, federal research grants. To my understanding, for example, UCLA requires research employees of professors to be admitted graduate students AND to pay the tuition of the graduate student. It also take a cut of a grant to the professor.

Forget the Cary Grant or feel good movies of the 1930s. The target is not undergraduates.

Athletics. It has always been about the money. It should not be. However, that is the reality. Do you understand that foot ball players in high school are rated by position and that information is shared all over the USA. Recruiting is done year round. A typical college has multiple employees and coaches for its football team. Ronald Reagan in a 1930s football film never existed in the real world.

Oh sure! I read the story about one professional basketball player who preferred driving a trash trunk in a small town and had to be talked into going to college. Very rare. Kids and their parents approach scholarship offers with the same business approach as the colleges doing the recruiting.

Required disclosures:
    1. the dads who go to work, play with their kids, and do community work without a press agent are my heroes; not general sports figures;
    2. I don't go to college or professional games. Whenever I have watched a sport, I focus on a player to see how well he is faring, not watching the ball.
    3. I would go to high school and college games of my nephew and my niece because they are family. Those were 100 mile round trips some times.

mike from st pe likes this.
  12. peng

peng

Colleges are businesses, plain and simple. Sports are good business. Academics is also a revenue generator but not as much.

Both the schools and the players use each other to get what they want.

It's no more embarrassing than the pro basketball teams playing in the Olympics.

In the end, like literally everything else, it's all about selling Cheetos and beer. :p

bdcochran likes this.
  13. WT

WT Millennium Member

bdcochran - my alma mater knew I traveled on business quite a bit. They asked me to go to local high school games where ever I was to watch the kids play. If a kid got a write-up in the local paper I was asked to send that write-up to the college coach.

At no time was I to represent myself as a 'recruiter' or wear clothing associated with any particular college. I was not to make any notes about the student. If the college showed an interest in the HS kid, they would send a real recruiter to look him over, possibly talk with him and his family.

This was a while ago. Nowadays, I suspect the college just searches the internet for possible recruits.

bdcochran likes this.
  14. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

The kneeling Kap was the beginning of the end of all things sports! Let's see how those tight panted thugs find their way out of the democrat plantation.

I wonder if producing fatherless off springs could qualify for a full scholarship?

15. tm255

tm255

serve_and_protect likes this.
  16. HarlDane

HarlDane

Not a chance. I went to a great state school with excellent professors. Sure, there are some loudmouth liberals in some departments, but those I primarily dealt with in the business and agriculture departments were all great and even the liberals I had for GE generally stuck to the topic at hand and didn't penalize students with different points of view.

One thing that the anti-college sports people don't like to admit is that athletic success is often tied to the value of educational degrees. The athletic department is a big part of the local community and a source of local pride. It also has very close ties to the industry I work in. Clients, coworkers and others in the industry see my degree and we instantly have something in common. I would guess 1/2 or more of the people I interact with professionally (And 3/4 of those with college educations) went to my Alma Mater and I talk almost as much college sports with clients as I do about the consulting they pay me for. We have season tickets with premium tailgate parking and a lot of business and networking gets done at tailgate parties.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  17. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

When I first went to college a long long time ago I was happy doing my little science thing. Now we had a particular hard test in life science, lots of essay concerning protein synthesis. Well I got a disappointing B but one of my class mates(a foot ball player) flunked very badly. He was still quite happy go lucky.
    I found out that he, just like all the other athletes, got to retake the test a week later after a weeks worth of tutoring by the professors lab assistant. Not only did they get better and more food, but cars, bigger rooms, lots of freebees, Free medical care and tutoring. Several got small gifts of cash.
    That's when I learned that some were more equal then others. Science nerds didn't get S**T.

bdcochran likes this.
  18. EOS

EOS National Capitalist

I support no pro sports except MMA and boxing.

American sports are nothing but pandering PC cesspools. Even NASCAR. Stop supporting organizations that hate you.

bdcochran and wprebeck like this.
  19. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

Did anyone hear of the Oklahoma player who jumped on the coach for wearing an "Racist" OANN T-shirt? OANN is a somewhat right-leaning TV channel. They are NOT racist. Shows what a moron the athlete is. Coach changed his shirt. :steamed: They shoulda told wonderboy to GTFO and go to another school. See if someone else will put up with his ****.

callihan_44 and wprebeck like this.
  20. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Good post, wprebeck!

I don't like or support college athletics, or major league athletics either.

I don't even care about whether the athletic teams of the college I attended win or lose. I care about it so little, that I don't even know when they win or lose. My college could have won the Inter-Galactic Football/Baseball/Basketball/Skateboarding/Major League Frisbee championship last year, and I wouldn't know about it, since I simply don't care.

College level and Major League sports are meaningless.

In fact, sports are worse than meaningless, because they take the healthy "tribal" "team spirit" and "team loyalty" that people should feel towards their own ethnic group/race, and channel that spirit/loyalty it into something stupid and meaningless, namely team sports.

Instead of rooting for a stupid sports team, EVERYONE SHOULD be rooting for their ethnic group/race/tribe, like they did for thousands of years until organized sports became a thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mike from st pe likes this.