Collecting firewood?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Apr 7, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

For those that have fireplaces or wood stoves...does anyone drive around and chop up their own wood?

I'm not talking about having a buddy with land or a tree down. I mean going around chopping up some of the trees that have been down for years.

There are tons of them around here, just laying there, am I'm thinking of taking my pickup, axe, and chainsaw around so I don't have to pay for it.

Of course if it is on private property I'd ask permission first.

Anyone do this??

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. dango

dango

I've got three fire places in house and wood-burning radient heat in my wood shop. I've already started looking , but I do own acerage with trees everywhere.and yes I do have a neighbor with some 350 acers and we help each other.

3. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

I've got good wood producing property but I'll scavenge good burnable wood when I can. No old stuff, fresh is best even if it needs to cure 1-2 years. In the mountains, highway right of way deadfalls are free for the taking. More than a few times I've chained up whole trees, dragged them a mile or three up the highway and into my driveway where I can cut, split and stack it in short order. Much easier than cutting and loading it on the side of the road. :cool:

4. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

no but ive wood -chipped alot

[​IMG]

5. Jbar4Ranch

Jbar4Ranch B-Western Hero Millennium Member

I've got 4 stoves in my house and 1 in the shop, and I've also got a LOT of beetle kill pine on my place. I cut five or six cords last fall and never went more than 50-75 yards from my house.

6. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

$20 permit to cut and take wood from downed trees in your nearby national forest.

7. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

For the wood collectors, you'd kill me for all the good dead/live wood I cut down and chip.

8. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

We go thru Biltmore forest/A town of rich folk.After a "storm" we go thru and trade removal for the wood.We have 18 cords x2 at the moment.'08.

9. Mostly 9

Mostly 9

I did the urban version of this once. I went to warehouses and asked for their discarded pallets. I got a winter's worth of oak after cutting up the pallets with a Skilsaw. I used the softwood to start the fires.

10. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

In Northern New Mexico, it is a fine, honored tradition for Hispanic men to go out, in the fall, and secure their firewood. About half our state is National Forest and the fee is $10.00. Only Anglos pay for their wood.

11. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

I'll be doing some more of that this year. I don't have a stove, but we occasionaly have a fire in the back yard and it's a lot cheaper to take your own wood camping. Every couple of years I go with a friend to the Swan Lake area in Montana and gather firewood. We won't touch fallen trees as they are generally very wet. It's legal to take standing trees as long as they are dead, no green means good to cut down.

12. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

Got a nice little fire in the wood stove right now. Cut on my own property and sometimes bring logs back to my gravel pit in the back of my end dump. I NEVER pay for firewood. When I lived in Western Wa. and was logging, I cut dozens of cord per year. Burned a lot myself and sold the rest.

13. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Years ago, when I was much younger, I cut and split wood for three houses in N. WI. It gets cold there and winters are very long. I took a lot of wood to heat those places.

I had 80 acres of red oak forest. Lots of dead and down timber. I'd cut and helped load it on a trailer. My youngest brother would pull it out of the woods with his tractor and load it on a truck. He'd then drive to one of the houses and unload it. Most of the splitting was at the destination. I'd split some in the woods.

There was just too much handling - too much extra effort. After a few years of this we just bought 10 cord loads from local loggers. They'd deliver right to the house. We could cut/split with much less effort and time.

Someone mentioned pallets. I had (still have I guess) a real heavy duty trailer - it's only 4x6 but it has a 3500lb axle. I'd go to my local saw mill and get a 4x8 bundle of oak slabs. The sawyer would load the banded bundles on my trailer with his fork lift. I had wood (cross) bunks on the trailer bed so I could just saw down through the bundle to the bed. No splitting - very easy and fast wood. Some bundles were old enough to be already 'cured'. There wasn't a lot of 'body' to the wood - usually 1-2 inches thick. But it was great for small stoves.

I still keep a pile of firewood around. There's no oak where I live now. But we have some red maple that makes great firewood. I keep that pile supplied with stuff I find around the country. If I see a downed tree that's easy to get to I'll cut/split it and bring it home. It's great for camp wood. but, I wouldn't want to heat my house this way.

14. sourdough44

sourdough44

I sniff around for free wood, just have to keep your eyes open. I have about a 3 years supply. We burn a lot in out Vermont Castings stove. Some of my better sources have been golf course communities, roadside trimming, ads in the paper, & just asking when I see storm damage somewhere. It's also best to cut/ask during an 'off time', like now, Spring.

15. Fastbear

Fastbear

Wood supply efforts here have been reduced to firing up the Chiminea in the back yard and feeding the two pellet stoves when the temps head for the single digits.

16. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

After the tornados down here, you can get all the wood you can load and haul. Some places even pay you to take it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  17. JMS

JMS 02

Does this mean you have 36 cords or am I missing something?

18. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Between the both places,yes.We had no winter in NC this year, so we just kept on hauling more.'08.

19. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

The "Power Company" is cutting their 'Right-of-Way' and there are (literally) truckloads of cut oak, pine and poplar trees along the roadway.

These trees have also been cut into shorter pieces.

In the last couple of weekends, I've gotten 4 truckloads of wood, ranging from arm diameter logs, to 24" diameter!!!!!!!

100% oak.

Gonna let it season 'til late summer then split it!!

Sofar, 'bout 1/2 cord. . . and TONS more, free for the taking.

20. Airgap

Airgap

It's called "Scrounging"

I have an outdoor wood boiler that I built myself and I've been feeding it for 4 years by scrounging, national forest permit, craigslist, and friends....

Haven't bought a single stick of wood yet....**knocks on wood**