close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cold weather running!!!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Narkcop, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Narkcop

Narkcop

I have been running OUTSIDE with my GSD since I adopted him the day after Christmas.I usually only do 2 1/2 miles with him. I live in Kentucky and I think the warmest day so far was 21 degrees. It really hasn't been bad other than a little snow making it slick here and there. Any other cold weather runners here?

2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Depending on your age I would use extra caution. Cold weather brings on heart attacks. Good luck.

3. Malkuth

Malkuth Defend Freedom

No I run in the Gym on Winter days.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I'll run outside until about 15 degrees then will seriously consider either skipping it or going to the dreadmill under that.

Underarmour mock turtleneck, nike tights, gloves, a halo do-rag and ear muffs work well. Yeah, it's cold but it's not unbearable even after you get good and sweating. I'll wear that for everything from 30 minute to 2 hour runs.

5. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

There was a 48 mile ultra-marathon scheduled for Duluth MN on 1/2/10. The temp was about -25F. I don't know if they ran it or not???

6. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

I would much rather run in the cold than 90 degree temps... after the first few minutes, my body feels much better running in the cold than hot weather. BTW--21 degree is not cold!

7. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Invest in good gear, something that keep you warm, while not letting you overheat and soak in your own sweat. I have underarmor gear, but honestly it is a major PITA to run in the cold. It needs to be on the weekend (since I'm working during weekday daylight hours in the winter), on a day when I'm healthy (no cold or flu) on a dry, Ice and snow free day, which has not been often around here. I run maybe 2 miles max. When I hit my 40's I notice I get more aches and pains cold weather running so I don't do it often. I force myself to run at least once every 2 weeks to keep the cobwebs off of me.

I love running in the spring, summer and fall. I usually stick with weight lifting and home/gym exercises in the winter.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  8. Stang_Man

Stang_Man

Not a huge runner, but when I do I don't let cold weather, rain, or anything stop me.

I do bicycle to the gym though, and its been in the 20's and 30's here in Texas recently. Worst part is the cold hands, but the rest works just fine. The cold air is very refreshing to me!

9. Gombu

Gombu

I ran 31 miles on trails in Pittsburgh on Jan 2nd. Temp peaked out at 15 degrees.

I don't use the weather as an excuse to not get outside, although I do have a bike and treadmill in the basement.

10. NOLA_glock

NOLA_glock Shrug Life

I like running in the cold as well (to a point).

Woke up near twenty degrees here this morning, our coldest, and went out for a run. I'm not a fan of the heat at all, though.