Cold Steel SRK Compact...

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by deputy tom, Mar 25, 2020.

1. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Anyone here own one of these? If so how about a report/field test. Thanks. tom. :cowboy:

2. azbuckeye

azbuckeye

I have the Cold Steel SRK full size and have been pleased with it thus far. It's one of my camp knives and gets "moderate use", but no torture testing like you see on many YouTube videos. Honestly, I was not aware Cold Steel offered a compact version of the SRK, but I have had good luck with Cold Steel products and wouldn't hesitate to purchase the SRK Compact if it fits your needs. Sorry I was unable to provide first hand experience with the compact model.

deputy tom likes this.

3. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I have two of the full size SRKs and am looking forward to the delivery of my compact. Should be any day. tom. :cowboy:

azbuckeye and smith10 like this.
  4. azbuckeye

azbuckeye

I've had good luck with Cold Steel knives and have looked at the Tanto Code 4 folders many times. My first CS purchase was the Spartan folder....not the best knife for pocket EDC carry but definitely my most novel knife. I'm confident the SRK Compact will fill your needs.

deputy tom likes this.
  5. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. tom. :cowboy:

azbuckeye likes this.
  6. Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

I liked them until I either lost it or got picked. Ugh!

7. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

What happened? tom. :dunno:

8. Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

I couldn't tell you but all I know is was a couple weeks past then I realized it was missing. Looked all over hell and never seen it again. I got a mini srk in my truck that was givin to me from the Founder of Cold Steel after watching a demo lonng time ago when I purchased the full sized SRK.

deputy tom likes this.
  9. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Received the SRK Compact and it is nice feeling in the hand. Can't wait to try a few things with it. tom. :cowboy:

azbuckeye and Rank Stranger like this.
  10. Kentguy

Kentguy

Excellent knife for lite to moderate use - camping, backpaking, hiking, etc. I don't beat on it but it will take pretty much what you dish out. And for the price... you can't go wrong.

11. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Thanks, good to hear. tom. :thumbsup:

12. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    I am an old Cold Steel fan and have an old Cold Steel Carbon V steel Tanto. I would like an SRK Compact for my collection. I’m looking forward to hearing more about your compact when you receive it!

CEC42469-A1B9-403C-A46E-9D7C1272FA89.jpeg

13. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I have it in my possession. It's very well balanced in hand. One inch shorter blade that the standard SRK and the handle is 1/4" shorter. The blade is slightly thinner and looks like it will be a good slicer. Squared off spine and very sharp from what I've noticed. I can't wait to get outside and try it out. tom. :cowboy:

14. bdcochran

bdcochran

Mine came in a few minutes ago. I concur in Kentguy's evaluation.

I think many guys already have an Esee 4. I compared them side by side.
    The following what I wanted to learn:
    1. Is the usable blade length on the srk-c a bit longer? Yes.
    2. Is the blade sharp? Yes.
    3. Can you change the grip? No.
    4. Is it better suited to thinner slicing than the usual "survival knife". Yes.
    5. Would I want to baton with the srk-c? NO.
    6. Is there something that bothers me about the srk-c that might be correctable? Yes. I will describe it AND if someone can answer my ultimate question before I do experimentation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Yes, I know that the grip on the Esee 4 is fatter. However, when I put the Esee4 in my hand, it comfortable and the hand falls naturally into a position of balance. If I hold the knife comfortably, the point is straight and level.

Ok, here comes the question. I am right handed. The swell at the back of the grip on the rightside swells at the back. If it could be reduced (forgetting about destroying the checkering), the knife would drop into a better position. Can this be done? If so, how would you do it?

I will ask the factory, but I don't expect an answer.

15. bdcochran

bdcochran

Well, now I can give an answer to my question.

I emailed the company, which is currently not shipping any materials. I asked if I could use a belt sander and 600 grit. I also said I didn't care how the knife ended up looking. The response was that the handle was Kraton and that it was too easy to remove too much material. I should strip it and put on replacement handles. Good clue. Put on a very fine 3m belt on the sander and carefully went to work. Now it fits fine. A little spot on the handle no longer has the pattern. BFD.

deputy tom likes this.
  16. bdcochran

bdcochran

Before I put the srk-compact away, I thought of comparing it to the K-bar short.
    Aaaaaah!
    Of course the handles are different. When I compared blade length, appearance of the blade, whether they had a sharpened back edge .. . hmm. Then I put each into the others sheath!

I suspect the swell at the back of the kraton handle on the rear of the srk-compact conceals a wide metal butt.

Which was is better? Neither. The skills are in the individual, not the knife.

I give a humorous example. US Army 1968. The army had temporarily discontinued training with the bayonet. So I am wondering why I was issued a bayonet when I already had to carry an entrenching tool and a pocket knife would have been better. For some reason, the training cadre is gone and someone comes over from another unit to train us. The Sgt. bellows out: "What's the spirit of the bayonet?" Dead silence. He tries again. Still silence. We have no idea. We are supposed to roar: "To kill, Sergeant". Once we understand, we are chanting "To kill Sergeant" (with no pause for a comma).