Cold steel Code 4 review.

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by VIS07, Mar 1, 2020.

1. VIS07

VIS07 Never, never, never give up.

20200301_102623.jpg 20200301_090658.jpg I picked up this used on Saturday. Cold Steel Code 4. This is the latest iteration in s35vn. The first thing that struck me with this knife is wow it's super thin. I mean really really thin. It's also relatively light for its size. It's 4.15 oz but feels lighter. 3.5 inch blade. Hollow grind with satin finish. Mine is the spear point. They also make it in a tanto and clip point configuration. In general it feels very sturdy in hand. Handle material is 6061 aluminum 5" in length. Super smooth. Really too smooth actually. It's anodized a gun metal gray color. I had to get used to the feeling of that smooth aluminum. It's slippery, however once you open it it has two large finger grooves that lock your hand in tight. I thought it might still not be grippy enough, (until I watched a video of a guy cut the top off a 55 gallon drum with my knife and no gloves.) It has the Triad lock, which is a very strong lock back design. As all Triad locks, it's super strong but you won't be figit opening this knife like your Spydercos and Benchmades for fun. My girlfriend bought this for me. Gonna give it a go for a while in the pocket and see how it goes. Just messing with it and carrying it for a bit and i can tell you one thing. Im sure this knife can pretty much take any EDC situation you can throw at it. Seems very capable. Also like S35VN under 100.00 dude!! What!! Lol Check it out. Almost forgot to say, I sharpened and stropped it and its scary damn sharp. Like 3 finger sticky (almost get cut just feeling it) sharp. No problem there! 20200301_090543.jpg 20200301_090502.jpg 050913_0001-768x356.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  2. R13

R13 Glocks are your friend

Cold steel has come a long way from the mall ninja. They’ve got got some really nice knives out now with good steel and materials. The triad lock is a proven winner too. Gonna order me a recon 1 soon. Congrats on a cool knife , hope it serves you well

3. VIS07

Thanks. Yes agree on the better designs worth getting.

4. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

I have the clip point version in CTS-XHP, and it has become one of my favorite knives - and I usually carry knives multiple times it's cost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

R13, slamdunc, VIS07 and 1 other person like this.
  5. TNG26

TNG26

Nice write up! I really like my Recon 1 from ColdSteel. I might have to give this one a try.

VIS07 and Officer's Match like this.
  6. VIS07

Officers match. Man great pics. Just made one my screen saver!

bdcochran and Officer's Match like this.
  7. jstrange

jstrange

I had the clip point back when they were AUS-8. Nice knife, but too slick. I also hate when CS uses the unequal length thumbstuds that you have to reverse. Not a huge deal, but it looks crappy and they make the same stud assembly with equal sides for other knives.

VIS07 and powernoodle like this.
  8. powernoodle

powernoodle

The primary problem with the Code 4 of that the scales have zero traction and are as slick as ice. You couple that with heavy back lock, and the knife is just not easy to deploy with one hand. The upside of the slick scales is that is slides in and out of the pocket easily without shredding things like most Cold Steel knives.

I bet that the application of just a little skateboard tape would really help.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    jstrange and VIS07 like this.
  9. jstrange

jstrange

I wish they would mill some kind of traction into the scales similar to what Benchmade does. Or some tasteful chamfered holes would be nice too. Hell, even a rougher anodizing similar to what Kershaw does would be better.

VIS07 likes this.
  10. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

I find the grip near perfect - the shape alone makes it very secure in my hands, and it DISAPPEARS in my pocket.

VIS07 and TNG26 like this.
  11. VIS07

I was at first thinking hey this is way to slick. I did some heavy cardboard cutting though and it actually wasn't an issue. It locked in with the finger grooves.

Officer's Match and R13 like this.