close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coke in a notebook

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gwalchmai, Jan 27, 2006.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

One of my co-workers came to me this afternoon with his notebook in his hands and a long look on his face. Seems he had emptied a full glass of Coca-Cola in his notebook (regular, not diet). He grabbed the NB and poured the excess into a trash can, but the computer went into immediate shutdown. He said it showed a Windows message saying the system was shutting down a second before it went off, so it didn't just immediately fry.

I removed the keyboard and have a fan blowing on the motherboard and the KB. I'll leave that running overnight and try to start it up tomorrow.

Anyone have any experience and/or suggestions? I've heard both good and bad. I took the HD out and it doesn't appear to have gotten wet so I think his data is OK. He had just done a backup yesterday (he got religion after his last crash).

2. Code7AT

Code7AT Get Some

Jeez perfect timing. I just spilled some coffee on my laptop this morning and was about to post the same question. Luckily I only have a few keys that are sticking a little bit. Any suggestions?

sorry for the hijack

Mike

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

About all you can do, Code7, is pull the sticking keys and try to clean both the key and its socket with damp (NOT wet) Q-Tips.

And as for your co-worker's prob, G, it all depends on where the gunk went.

Many times they will clean up okay but it depends on the model as to how easy it will be.

Chances are if some sodapop got into the Power button that's what made it shut down....but you never know.

I have seen plenty of laptops die miserable deaths from just a little water. It all depends on the machine and its design.

This is why having insurance on a laptop is a whole lot more vital than having it on a cellphone or something like that...one little slip and it can mean the death of the machine.

Hopefully this works out all right for you!

Best regards,

Eric

4. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I let the NB dry out overnight, buttoned it back up, hit the power button and everything came up OK. My friend dodged a bullet this time. ;)

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Did he ever.

Tell him to buy a lottery ticket.