Coin collecting - the rarer ones...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by railfancwb, Aug 26, 2018.

1. railfancwb

railfancwb

Anyone collect rare coins? Especially rare United States coins.

Not talking about the so-called junk or bullion silver coins once minted by the United States.

Rather talking about coins rare enough that their market value depends mostly on rarity rather than precious metals content.

Examples would include the Flying Eagle cent, the Indian Head cent, a few of the Lincoln cents, various now obsolete denominations such as two cent and three cent, large cents...

And if you are a collector and have been for some time, have you ever sold coins from your collection for a cash profit?

Not “The Redbook value in 19xx was $X.xx and today the Redbook value is twice or three or four or more times $X.xx” but a real cash in hand profit.
    The same type question could be asked of stamp collectors (or in fact collectors of anything) I suppose...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. kiole

kiole

Beanie babies for me

SRS, PBCounty and FullClip like this.

3. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

I have a mercury dime around here somewhere that I found in my change in 1983 or 84

First shot likes this.
  4. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

I have a coin collection, most of it given by my grandfather when I was about 8yo. I think there's 4 or 5 Morgan dollars, a 1922 Liberty dollar, a couple commemorative half-dollars (Booker T Washington and Stone Mountain), a 1864 two-cent piece, an 1800 cent, and scads of Mercury dimes, V-nickels, a few buffalo nickels, old pennies, etc. I have several of those 1943 steel pennies. Also a bunch of foreign coins which are mostly worthless, but interesting. For instance there's a Nazi coin in there.

Most of the US stuff is in well circulated condition - just good for oohs and aahhs from kids with imagination and interest in such things. A few are in very fine to excellent, including both of those commemorative half-dollars and one of the Morgans. It's not a collection for value at all though. I'm just waiting on a grandson of about 8yo.

Ross-in-Pa and n2g like this.
  5. bgirls

bgirls

Have a mix of coins in a fire box, no values ever appraised. Did have books and books of mostly pennies when i was a teen, from my mom, they were mostly defective stampings. Double hits, cracked wheat stalks. My ever so dearest younger brother popped the coins and spent them at face value when i moved out, still had MY room in dads house. Guess MINE was not Mine to little brother!!!

First shot and FullClip like this.
  6. 3glkdog

3glkdog

I have about 200 pieces of Morgan silver dollars, but on 2 with CC mint mark, the rest are all common Morgans. I never sell them. I just look at how pretty they are.

n2g, Mr Meeseeks and B C like this.
  7. biscuits&gravy

biscuits&gravy

8. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

Lincoln cents for me. Mint 1909 svdb, 1914D.

Every cent past 1946 is uncirculated. Been working on it for 55 years.

9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

I have collected coins off and on for a few years. There are some coins that I would like to have but the price on many of these coins are cost prohibitive for me.

railfancwb likes this.
  10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

I collect wheat pennies.... that's about it.

First shot and railfancwb like this.
  11. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I don’t collect coins but I do have a few Morgan’s Silver dollars that I’ve picked up over the years.

railfancwb likes this.
  12. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Rare coins are only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for something "rare". I had my oldest brother's penny collection albums for years. Blue things with hollow spaces to put certain pennies in. Forgot about them for a long time. When he retired, I gave them back along with a 5 gallon bucket of pennies I'd been saving up over time. Think that will keep hom busy for a long time. Finding the steel wheat pennies made during WWII was my highlight of collecting. And yes, I left them in the albums.

First shot and bgirls like this.
  13. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

I have an almost complete set of indian head pennies and a bunch of Morgan silver dollars that Grandma gave me. And some Spanish pieces of eight and a Spanish gold doubloon necklace from the 1715 fleet.
    All of it is in my safe deposit box. I have no idea what it's worth.

14. Jonesee

Jonesee

25 uncirculated $1 silver certificates in numeric order.

They came up from the vault decades ago when I was a bank teller. I bought them out of my drawer and have them in a safe.

The value is in the full set in numeric order.

railfancwb likes this.
  15. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I found a 1907 Indian head penny in my yard last month and was disappointed to find out it's only worth $1.00 at the very most.

16. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I'm just a bullion guy. I want the wood, not the furniture, so to speak.

17. Micad

Micad

I have collected coins for many years now. I have a complete set (all years and mint marks) of Mercury dimes, Liberty Walking half dollars, Kennedy half dollars, and Peace dollars. I have a lot of Morgans, although not a complete set. I also have some paper currency, and some miscellaneouse stuff.
    For the modern things i have all the state quarters, P and D mints in treasury tubes, and a bunch of silver eagles and mint sets.

n2g likes this.
  18. Detectorist

Detectorist

Wow!

19. Detectorist

Detectorist

20. akpls

akpls

Been collecting for a long time, but now specializing in full bell line Franklin halves for the most part. I also have have a pretty extensive collection of coins and tokens from Madagascar. Some of the Madagascar coins are extremely low mintage, but the demand isn't there to make them too outrageously expensive. Started collecting as a kid when my grandfather got me interested in it.

Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.