1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Why so serious?
45mm 9ACP
67,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rogers' gun was cocked, had a bullet in the chamber

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 5, 2010 12:09 PM ET
The loaded gun that Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Shaun Rogers was arrested for carrying at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport on Thursday was cocked and had a bullet in the chamber, according to a police report.

Donna J. Miller of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports those details from the police report, as well as the fact that the semi-automatic handgun was on safe mode and had seven bullets in the magazine and one in the chamber.

Rogers told authorities he put the gun, a black .45 caliber Kimber Ultra II, inside his bag during a visit to Detroit and forgot he had it there until it was seen by airport security when he put it through an X-ray machine. The police report said Rogers has a valid concealed pistol license in Michigan. He played for the Lions from 2001 to 2007.

Rogers was planning to fly to Houston with fellow Browns defensive lineman Robaire Smith.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The guy has good taste in firearms at least, and is smart enough to keep all those bullets in the gun, but not smart enough to remove the weapon before going to the airport.

Now that the article mentions it I am going to go check to make sure my Kimber has bullets in it.

·
Banned
2,488 Posts
The guy has good taste in firearms at least, and is smart enough to keep all those bullets in the gun, but not smart enough to remove the weapon before going to the airport.

Now that the article mentions it I am going to go check to make sure my Kimber has bullets in it.
Better replace the bullets with cartridges. :wavey:

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why this is worthy of another news article (not you, TBO, the news agencies)

He had a gun in the airport (okay, I see that as newsworthy)
two days later:
The gun was actually LOADED, the nerve of him! (Huh? WTF?)

Is there that little to report on or do they believe everyone has unloaded firearms with all the OC and CCW going on?

·
Why so serious?
45mm 9ACP
67,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very often the people reporting the news don't know much of the subject they are speaking on, in this case guns.

I'll always remember during the Malvo sniper attacks Katie Couric trying to discuss the guns used in this case via a discussion about the type of bullet used.

The weapon was a .223, which as most of us know uses a light high speed bullet that fragments easily after entering a body.

Katie's question, description not only made no sense, but showed a complete lack of understanding about firearm projectiles. Her questioning/stating was in the vein of the bullets used were especially deadly because they were "designed to explode/blow up" after hitting someone.

It was more than painful to watch.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Um, it's not much protection if the gun's not loaded.

Note to self: Check bags for weapons before leaving for airport.

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
Okay, my sorta gun and airport story.

I was stationed in Korea in '93. I had an American Tourister carry on. Never even thought about it but that was the bag I used as my range bag. Go to Korea, do my tour plus some, spent 14 months there. The bag stayed in the top of one of my wall lockers and never came down until it was time for DROS.

On the way HOME from Korea they refuel in Tokyo so they herd us all off the plane and we have to go through the security scan again. The Japanese TSA guy asks me to take stuff out of one pocket of the bag. No problem. I pull a Cav belt buckle the size of a small hubcap and he smiles and waves me on. WTF??? I think, there's no way to mistake that for anything but a belt buckle so I go rooting through the pocket. -er- Seems I have the barrel, slide, mainspring, trigger, recoil spring and hammer of a .45 in the outside pocket. I figure pulling all this out whilst still in the terminal was a bad idea so after I gasp I put it all back and walk with the "I'm not doing anything wrong here" look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts