Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cochinta Pork with orange juice

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by noway, Jun 20, 2005.

1. noway

Davie "Cowboy" , FL
    cochinita Pibil

The last time I whent to Mexico Yucatan area I had this dish that I quite frankly had no clue as to what it was. NOW I know and had 1st hand experience with perparation. This is a Mexican/Caribbean dish common around the yucatan and belize areas. It's easy to make and very tropical in flavor

1lb of cube pork per person or a 4-6lb butt roast
    a few large banana leaves
    2 1/2 cups of sourorange juice and a few limes
    1tsp of cumin
    1tsp oregano
    2 cloves of garlic peeled and smashed
    2-3 habanero de-seed and chopped fine
    1 large red onion
    1 bag of Achiote aka Annato seeds
    A pinch of cinanamon
    salt & pepper

In a glass bowl perferly a big salad bone add the juices of the sourorange and half of a lime, mix all ofthe spices and seasoning. then add the pork cube or butt roast and coat the entire surfaces. You want to leave this in the marinade for at least 8-10hrs turning at least once

Take a deep pan and laid down the banana leaves , and top the leaves with the pork cubes. And then layer the top with slices of onions. If you have a roast add the roast to the leaves and wrapped the roast and secure with a non-flammable cord. In both methods ( cube or roast ) add the remaining liquid from the marinade before wrapping the pork up and baking.

Bake at 350degs for about 2-3hrs or until the meat is tender and easily able to seperated with a fork. Serve with yellow or white rice.

hmmm...mmmm good