close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

coated or plated bullets?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Mattb85, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Mattb85

Mattb85

I recently purchased a new G20SF and I'm looking to load a inexpensive full power 10mm load for practice. my plan is to run a 200gr bullet around 1200fps (similar to standard underwood loads). I don't plan on changing my barrel out at the moment so this will be a stock barrel.

ive been looking around at inexpensive bullets and the best deals out there seem to be either coated bullets like ACME's "lipstick" bullets or plated bullets such as Berry's flat nose bullets.

which type of bullet do you think will work the best for this?

thank you
    -Matt

2. dudel

dudel

I like Berry's a lot (along with Rainier). I just don't use them for full power loads. They tend to shed the plating if pushed to hard. Not a problem in the gun; but really tends to mess with accuracy.

Inexpensive and full power tend to be contradictory goals.

MtnBiker and refugeepj like this.

3. Turn4811

Turn4811

I have pushed coated 9 mm 125gr to 1300fps without any issues except accuracy but not all coated bullets are created equal. I have also watched plated come apart at that velocity. BTW: there are better deals out there on other plated and jacketed than what I have seen lately with any Berry's bullets (I do like them but they have gotten a bit pricey in the past 8 years).

I do not load 10mm but I have used a couple of different coated 45's with great success. My favorite 45 range bullet is the Shooter's Precision SWC coated BlackMaxx sold by Monmouth Reloading. Also, my 45 is a G37 45GAP that I push the 200gr BlackMaxx to 1050fps as a standard load.

slamdunc likes this.
  4. usnret

usnret

I run Bayou Bullets 180gr coated bullet out of my Glock20C at 1270fps with no problems. Regular plated bullets are good up to 1200fps. Heavy plated bullets are good up to 1500fps.

5. refugeepj

refugeepj

"Xtreme" has a plated bullet that will be good at that velocity.
    i generally run their 180 PFP between 1160 FPS and 1230 FPS, depending upon the purpose for the load.
    general plinkers at the slower speed, load up to prepare for a vacation and woods/trail carry.
    economy isn't to bad for the Xtreme.
    the 200 grain RNFP is $66 for 500 (180 at $61), and they do have sales, sometimes free shipping.
    i signed up for their emails and order when they offer a discount.

dudel and WeeWilly like this.
  6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Either will work fine at your velocity.

Xtreme are hard to beat for plated. I like SNS casting for coated. Also, if you get to buying in larger lots, Precision Delta has excellent jacketed offering that are competitive in the 2K lot size.

refugeepj likes this.
  7. SBray

SBray

8. LD-Ordie

LD-Ordie

Upper Mojave Desert Middle of NoWhere Kalifornia
    I've had good luck with Acme and Bayou, but I personally been focused on using Everglade and Extreme plated bullets for just a bit more than coated. The sales from Extreme with free shipping are real hard to beat

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

10. Mattb85

Mattb85

thank you for the responses!

assuming they will work at my speeds the Bayou bullets seem to be the best priced per 1000 at $0.112 per bullet. i shoot a fair bit but i think 1000 bullets would last me quite a while.

the plated bullets look nice but are a fair bit more then the coated bullets. if the coated bullets will work (and give me decent accuracy) then ill stick with those.

-matt

11. fredj338

fredj338

I find i get better accuracy with my own coated lead vs the xtreme. I would expect a comm coated to be the same? Imo, plated can be finicky as you get to their top end. They are also fussy about crimp.
    [​IMG]

12. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

SJ 40 and SBray like this.
  13. SBray

SBray

I just received 500 45's and 500 .380's of their coated bullets. I'm looking forward to shooting them!

Steve

WeeWilly likes this.
  14. A6Gator

A6Gator

Black Bullets International bullets have worked great for me. Their 200gr 40's are $54/500 shipped. I shoot competitively, so I don't drive anything faster than I need to make power factor, but BBI's new coating is great. Chandler's really a good guy and if you have any questions about driving a coated bullet that fast, you can give him a call at (731) 343-4001.

15. SBray

SBray

IMG_7649.JPG

I just loaded one Missouri coated 95 grain .380 bullet at .965 in OAL. I'm not familiar with these bullets. They have two ribs, so I loaded it at the middle of the top rib. Should it have been loaded higher, near the top edge of the top rib, or is this position ok?

I held off on crimping the round until I had some time to research the OAL of this particular cartridge.

Steve

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  16. fredj338

fredj338

Depends on your chamber, you might actually need to seat a bit deeper. Make a dummy loaded to that OAL, crimp it, then drop it in your chamber. if it plunks in, good to go.

17. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Generally load it to the top of the top "rib". The space between is the lube groove which isn't used with coating. Some may not fit in the magazine loaded where it is now.

wp

18. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I suspect it will feed/chamber in a G42. There are two parameters you have to worry about:

1) OAL for feed geometry, in my G42 no problem, in my P380 almost certainly no go.

2) Bearing surface and throat (free bore). Your bearing surface will protrude into the throat a fair amount with that OAL. On a gun like the G42, it likely wouldn't be a problem, on a gun whose lands come to the chamber mouth, it will jam and not allow the gun to go into battery.

MinnMD66 and fredj338 like this.
  19. SBray

SBray

I'll check those factors mentioned.

Thanks,
    Steve

20. njl

njl

Bayou and Ibejiheads both sell coated 95gr bullets that could be from the same mold as that one.
    I load either so that the top of the top band is just above the case mouth. IIRC, OAL comes out to about 0.948".

SBray likes this.