Coast Guard

Discussion in 'US Coast Guard Forum' started by Sgt. Renegade, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Sgt. Renegade

Sgt. Renegade

Howdy,

I Joined the USCG!!
    I am getting ready for boot camp, I was wondering if any of you veterans could give me some advice on how best to prepare, any ideas on how to get ready for the strain?? thanks guys, God Bless.

2. Kodiak PA

Kodiak PA Bear Land

Congrats. Welcome aboard. I did 20 years in the USCG. I joined in 1980 and retired in 2000. I rose from seaman recruit to chief petty officer and did my last 4 years as an officer. I think the best advice I can give you is to recommend that you get in the best shape that you can before basic training. USCG basic training is very regimented, very physical but also very doable. It all depends on your attitude. Keep an open mind, learn as much as you can and remember our motto: Semper Paratus....always ready. The Coast Guard is a good organization and serves this country well. Take nothing personal at boot. It is something that you have to do to become part of the team. What rating are you interested in?

Best of luck to you.

3. AZ_Quailhunter

AZ_Quailhunter NRA Life Member

You have made a good choice with the CG....you will become a member of the 'elite service'.....just be mentally tough thru bootcamp, and after that....it will be just like a normal job....but the Guard is pretty exciting so it truly is better than "normal."

Good luck..........

4. coastienc

coastienc

I agree with everything above.... get in shape, keep an open mind, and take nothing personal. Also after boot camp keep an open mind when it comes to assignments and units. Some of the units that I was upset about orders to, ended up being the best tours of my career so far.

5. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

KodiakPA,

I joined in 1980 too!(I was 17)

I started boot camp at Governors Island, June 3. Chief BM Adams was my instructor. I hated that guy. I heard he went back to Kodiak in late 1980 to finish up and retire.

Jim Bianchi
    1980 to 1983 USCG
    1983 to 2002 USAF

6. Kodiak PA

Kodiak PA Bear Land

Started boot camp at Governors Island? I went to basic on June 16, R-107. BMC Adams name doesn't ring a bell. What company were you in?

7. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I wouldn't know the company if you wrote it on a rock and hit me with it!

I got washed in week four to Chief McFarlands(?) class. Much better guy. His claim to fame was he was the youngest chief in USCG history. Also youngest BT instructor.

Very good guy. He really helped his young guys to succeed, not forced them to fail like Adams did.

Adams was the guy who would pull people out of their bunks at night for Rack Races or spray them down with the fire hose while doing situps at 2 am. I did not sleep for the whole four weeks with that guy! Adams bragged about his 50% washout rate. My class was one of his last and made us remember him! Out of 72 that formed, 32 graduated on time! (Not me!)

I heard a rumor Adams was forced out of GI and sent packing to Kodiak to retire, or else.

Where was your frst asignment?

Mine was the 82' Point Bridge out of Marina Del Rey. Nice Duty!

Jim

Jim

8. Kodiak PA

Kodiak PA Bear Land

Cutter Igham out of Portsmouth Virginia. An old 327' commissioned in '35.

9. Buoyboy

Buoyboy

Congratulations. It is a very exciting time in life when you step out on your own. Success or failure rests squarely on your sholders.

On the day I left for bootcamp (Jan 28, 1985), my father told me, "you can do anything for two months." and he was right.

Get youself physically fit. If you don't know how to swim or are not a good swimmer, practice. Push yourself. If you don't know how to iron clothes, learn.

Pick up the book referenced on this webpage and read it

http://www.uscg.mil/reservist/mag2001/Jan2001/Review.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Coast-Guardsmans-Manual-George-Krietemeyer/dp/1557504687

Try to memorize some of the basic things like ranks and rates, CG ships and aircraft. I don't know what they are making students memorize but whatever it is, it probably comes from the Coast Guardsman's Manual.

A google search turned this up. Lots of good information: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/cgjoin/l/aacgbasic1.htm . Oh yeah, memorize the 11 General Orders of the sentry. I particularly liked the advice not to "stand out" on day 1. I still remember - "You have 10 seconds to get off this bus and on the yellow squares ......and you wasted 5 seconds!"

Be a team player. The only way you'll get through is if you work together with your fellow recruits. If you get a chance to be a leader then lead.

The strain - accept before you go that you are going to have to do a whole bunch of stuff that you don't want to do and that you might find stupid. Never get angry - it is not personal, it is training and it is a test of sorts. You have to be mentally prepared as well as physically. Make friends and try to find the humor (but don't laugh!)

One last thing, always remember to lock your locker and zero your lock otherwise you'll become a sea turtle:supergrin:

Good luck,

Buoyboy

10. boby

boby

Congrats, I just joined as well. I ship August 21st!

Time to get running...

11. Buoyboy

Buoyboy

Best of luck to you. Try to enjoy a little life before you go.