Coal Hollow Fire heli-base

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mhambi, Aug 16, 2018.

1. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

aka a big field on my morning commute. There were 11 different helicopters there this morning.

There were several A-Stars, several Bells, but the coolest ones (at least more unique) were...

A K-MAX
    [​IMG]

Billings Aviation Chinook
    [​IMG]

And a Coulson Aviation S-61
    [​IMG]

Not my pics... they're aggressively patrolling this area right now... NO STOPPING! :supergrin: I'll try to get some before they finish up and leave...

Fun to see them out working! A big hats off to ALL the firefighters! :thumbsup:

2. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

Very cool and excellent shots. The title made me think of the underground coal mine fires. The one I was thinking of is the Centralia mine fire.

The Centralia mine fire is a coal seam fire that has been burning underneath the borough of Centralia, Pennsylvania, United States, since at least May 27, 1962. The fire is suspected to be from deliberate burning of trash in a former strip mine, igniting a coal seam.

The fire is burning in underground coal mines at depths of up to 300 feet (90 m) over an 8-mile (13 km) stretch of 3,700 acres (15 km2).[1] At its current rate, it could continue to burn for over 250 years.[2]

The fire caused most of the town to be abandoned. The population dwindled from around 1,400 at the time the fire started to 7 in 2013, and most of the buildings have been leveled.