close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CO: notify even though not required...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by hatidua, Feb 20, 2010.

1. hatidua

hatidua

(Colorado)

I was at the county sheriff's office yesterday waiting to get fingerprinted for my latest class-III item and overheard the clerk talking to someone who was being issued their first concealed carry permit.

She told the individual that if they were to get pulled over for any reason and had a firearm in the vehicle, the state considered the vehicle to be an extension of self and that they should notify the officer that a firearm was present as soon as the officer approached the vehicle.

Considering that I may have misheard, I stepped up to the window and asked the clerk if I had heard correctly. (CO does not legally require notifying the LEO of a firearm in the vehicle when approached). The clerk then repeated exactly what I thought I had heard.

Fast-forward about 18 hours and I get the latest email from the National Association of Gun Rights suggesting that unless asked, you never divulge that there is a weapon in the vehicle in states where notification is not required by law.

I'm merely passing along two distinctly differing views I've been given over the past 24 hours.

2. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

My CCW instructor advised us to NEVER notify unless asked just to avoid complicating the situation. I'm in FL but I still think I would notify as soon as the officer approached. Just that, if he somehow sees it or finds out, it could be a very bad day for me. I'd rather be the one that determines when he finds out.

3. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

I agree

4. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Notifying law enforcement during a stop or criminal report is common sense.

5. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

I wouldnt notify unless legally required (I'm in FL).

6. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Best way to prevent pavement burn or worse is to be straightforward. Most law abiding citizens are. Most criminals aren't. Someone who is stopped carrying and fails to notify me is way over in the idiot/criminal range on the perp-o-meter. Someone who declares starts on the other side of center. Do what you like.

7. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

I am in Texas. You politely let the officer know you have a weapon with you & present your license, you won't have any problems.

:cool:

8. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

I absolutely will not notify and never have. The only way I will notify is if I am asked about it or if I'm asked to get out of the car. I have no idea what the officers attitude is towards people carrying and I'd rather not find out.

9. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER

I live in Colorado and have never been in this situation. I have decided that if the occasion were to arise I would definitely tell the officer. I have nothing to hide and want to make sure that I do nothing to seem suspicious.
    I live in Northern Co and know a lot of the officers in my small town but not the town next door which has 4x the population.
    I don't understand what all the fuss is.
    I believe most leo are on the up and up and we as law abiding citizens have little to fear.

10. kensteele

kensteele

If your state thought it was so important to declare a concealed weapon at a traffic stop, they would have put that in the law.

11. kensteele

kensteele

I don't know either except I do know the issue is highly polarizing and full of feelings and a lot of what-ifs and don't usually contain any factual information.

12. thornesguns

thornesguns

I've encountered several officers, i always notify them that i am carrying a concealed weapon. they just thank me and thats it...never even had one ask to see my license. I asked the first officer i came into contact with "do u want to see my license?" he said "no it's alright".

13. G26Okie

G26Okie

When I'm driving long distances, my firearm is usually in my glove box, along with my registration and insurance. If they ask me for those items, I will of course notify, and show my permit, otherwise probably not.

14. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

This is one of the personal decisions each person carrying for self defense must make if the law does not require notification of law enforcement.

Some people are not comfortable when dealing with law enforcement and prefer not notifying. Some people believe notifying lessens the possibility of misunderstandings.

It is a personal choice. There are consequences with either.

15. RioKid

RioKid

In Missouri we are not required to inform LE that we are carrying. If they run our DL they will see that we are permitted. In addition, anyone over 21 who can legally own a firearm is allowed to have loaded weapon in the vehicle without a CC permit. Since I started ccw I have not had an encounter with LE. If I do encounter LE as a matter of routine traffic stop, I will not inform them.

16. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

My opinion is quite contrary to yours. I get that you're a cop and that's how you work, but I feel there is more to lose than gain by notifying (Florida does not require you to).

If I get a "gun friendly" cop, it will probably help me get out of the ticket.
    If I get a "gun unfriendly" cop, it almost guarantees the ticket, possibly worse (I have read some pretty bad ccw stop horror stories).

In the almost 5 years I've been carrying, I've been pulled over twice for traffic violations (both times I was cc), did not notify, and received warnings.

I figure if I ever get frisked, I'm probably have bigger things to worry about than my legally carried firearm. Hopefully I never get stopped for a traffic violation, then pulled out of the car, then frisked and finally choke slammed by you or a like-minded cop.

17. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

summarized nicely

18. rygleason

rygleason

I got pulled over in Jefferson County last weekend for speeding. This was my first traffic stop since I have had my CC permit. I placed both my hands on the steering wheel and notified the state trooper when he walked up that I was carrying. He asked me where and I told him IWB at about 4 o'clock. He just asked to see my registration, insurance, DL, and my CC permit.

After spending a minute or two in his car he came back and issued me a warning. After that we had small talk for about 5 minutes and I was on my way. I know there are opinions on both sides, but I will always notify I am carrying anytime I get pulled over in the future. It may earn me another warning rather than a ticket :supergrin:

19. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Doesn't matter if I notify or not. My HCP is tied to my DL, so they're going to know as soon as they run it. I'm in Tennessee, so your mileage might, obviously, vary.

I usually just wave the gun out the window while they're walking up. Good practice to let them know that I have a gun and where it is by showing them the gun, you see.

20. dakrat

dakrat

hell yeah! I have one of those concealed carry badge in my wallet. If he ask for drivers license and insurance, I give em the badge, he backs off and lets me go. see how that works?

seriously people, if the LAW says you dont have to, DON'T! you are just looking for attention and drama... then starts another thread here titled "I had an encounter with LEO"