1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,431 Posts
I'm almost temped by this. What condition are the pistols in? How much do they cost?

I'm eligible, but wary...

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm almost temped by this. What condition are the pistols in? How much do they cost?

I'm eligible, but wary...
CMP 1911 PRICING:

CMP has priced the 1911 type pistols at fair market value in accordance with CMP’s enabling legislation.

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction.

Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

All pistols are inspected and test fired by the CMP. The shipping cost is included in the price.

·
Premium Member
5,470 Posts
I bought two M-1 Garand's from CMP, both are fine shooters and were as advertised. If you want a genuine GI .45 I would advise you to buy from them. But check the condition described by CMP. This is what you will get.

·
Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking
2,784 Posts
No thanks

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I'll pass on the 1911s but I would like a S&W Victory Model .38 revolver. A .38 Special not those .38 S&W that we sent to the Commonwealth nations. :waving:

Reactions: Lagamor

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was drawn for a pistol from CMP in the first round. I decided agains the purchase. It was difficult, but I thought long and hard and decided that my thousand bucks was better spent on a shiny new 1911. No regrets and I'm only sorry that I had to waste someone's time at CMP. BTW, I have purchased 3 Garands from CMP and I even travelled to Anniston to buy my first one (back when Leon was at the counter and the racks were full).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hard to say what you would end up with-They have all been refinished (parkerized)but issued guns made prior to 1942 were blued. Mismatched serial#s and possibly present day commercially manufactured parts. IMO they should have left them in the same condition as turned in. GIs took damn good care of their 1911s

·
M62/76
12,137 Posts
Hard pass for me thanks.

Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Hard to say what you would end up with-They have all been refinished (parkerized)but issued guns made prior to 1942 were blued. Mismatched serial#s and possibly present day commercially manufactured parts. IMO they should have left them in the same condition as turned in. GIs took damn good care of their 1911s
With the limited exception of some early 1940’s production Colts no 1911A1’s ( the vast majority of what the CMP has) had any serialized parts other than the frame.
The pistols were all made prior to 1945 ( no standard issue pistols were made after that)
And yes many went through one or more rebuilds as they were used heavily in combat and training over the next 50 years, and were put into storage ready to issue in event of emergency.
The key to understanding these guns is not they are simply a pistol to shoot, but to appreciate the long military history they represent
A modern made gun with refinements that have become standard in the last 30 years or so is almost certainly a better shooter than these old war horses.
I bought mine for the history and do enjoy shooting it some.
Yes a mix of parts is to be expected like anything else in service over 50 years

·
Come on man!!
14,806 Posts
I'm going to try and get a service grade, just for the history.

My youngest son is named Thomas Gunner, for the Thompsom or "Tommy Gun".

I plan on getting an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, a Thompson, and one of these 1911 as family heirlooms that represent one of the most significant times in American history.

·
Mountain Man
6,860 Posts
Am I reading this correctly that it is acceptable to submit multiple packets?

Only_one_CMP_1911_Order_Per_Customer_Per_Envelope.jpg

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
I got one. I'm trying to rig up a nice GI pistol rig now. My gun is nothing special, just a refurbished, re-parked pistol with a Colt's top and a RR bottom. It shoots quite well. Too expensive, but it's an actual Govt surplus pistol from Springfield Armory in 1986. What the heck, you live once!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got one and don't regret it. Sure, it was expensive but it is a great piece of history that is also a good shooter. The pistol I received is an Ithaca frame, Remington slide, and Colt barrel.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I got one. I'm trying to rig up a nice GI pistol rig now. My gun is nothing special, just a refurbished, re-parked pistol with a Colt's top and a RR bottom. It shoots quite well. Too expensive, but it's an actual Govt surplus pistol from Springfield Armory in 1986. What the heck, you live once!
Cannot be from SA in 1986 as SA closed in 1966 or 67.
Perhaps some pictures of your rebuild marks ( which is how I suspect you came up with SA and 1986) so we can better identify the lineage of your pistol

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I carried a WW2 era 1911 in the 80s, in the ARNG. They were seriously wore out and not super reliable. For a collector I get it, but as a shooter at those price. No thanks.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Prices too high for me. I thought this program was to get guns in the hands of everyday people not collectors
The sales support the real mission of the CMP...marksmanship training (not giving away pistols and rifles for cheap prices).
My Carbine came from North Store, where I picked it out myself. A memorable day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts