close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CMP M1 Garand

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jcf92, Mar 2, 2010.

1. jcf92

jcf92

I am kinda lookin hard at a Service Grade M1 Garand from the Civilian Marksmenship Program. Any of yall had experience with them, particularly with this grade of rifle? Is their turna-around for ordering pretty good?

2. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

The Service Grade will be their shooter gun. It will be fully functional with a good barrel, but will have a mix of WWII, and post war parts. It will have been rebuilt at least once, and more likely many times. You may also get a mix of wood on the stocks, though they will be solid.

All my Garands are SG, and all are good ones.
    I had the chance to hand pick mine. If you can, I would recommend doing that.
    I don't know anything about wait times.

3. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

CMP rocks!

When I ordered my Garand (and my M1 Carbine, too), it was shipped very quickly. Like two weeks.

But that was pre-Obama. I understand they were backed up a bit recently (make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements, described at the CMP website, when you order).

I was very pleased with what they sent me. Metal looks almost new, and the stock is very solid (although the stock is not color-matched to the hand guards). All I did was clean the stock with some rubbing alcohol and rough gauze to remove soaked-in oil, and degrease the metal with a spray gun cleaner. A quick re-lube, and I was off shooting my piece of American military history.

A Garand is never a mistake. Historic, fun, and a very effective military rifle in a very major caliber. What's not to like?

(Be sure to feed it mil-surplus, or at least mil-spec, ammo -- which has a pressure curve compatible wit the Garand operating system. Some modern sporting .30-06 is too vigorous for the Garand.)

-ET

4. space_weazel

space_weazel

I bought mine at a show from the guy who got it from the CMP, it is a fine shooter!
    [​IMG]

5. thisaway

thisaway

I have purchased several Service Grade M1s from the CMP and they have all been excellent.

6. Gokyo

Gokyo

I have purchased 2 and love both of them. It is a wonderful weapon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  7. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

I got my first Garand from them in '88. Now I just drive to the Anniston store. They have a huge variety, so it helps if you know what you're looking for. They ship in 1-2 days after the order arrives, so they're fast. Read their grading system!

8. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Service grade is the next to the best they offer. The only ones better are their collector/correct grade and their special grade. They just introduce the service/special grade which is a correct graded gun, but the wood and stock metal was too bad so they replaced it with new production. They all shoot well.

9. MstrPara

MstrPara Go Loud.....

I have a SA service grade, absolutely love it. I've also shot my friend's Field Grade, the next lower grade.

The service grade is noticeably "nicer" in regards to the wood, park, etc. Both functioned flawlessly.

Just checked their website, and they have both HRA and SA service grades in stock, 60 day delivery.

60 days seems like a long time to wait in today's world.......but be patient, its worth it!

10. CBennett

CBennett

im jealous man I remember when I was at Ft Mcclellan AL being able to go to Anniston :) . nice little town!