CMP Garand ordering question

Discussion in 'Military Surplus Forum' started by GlocknSpiehl, Nov 30, 2013.

1. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Sadly, I am not a rich guy and have to make my purchases judiciously. Can someone explain me which one of the CMP Garands is a good value? I'm not looking for a safe queen, but something I won't be afraid to take out and shoot. A lot. :supergrin:

They offer for $625 the "M1 Garand, SA (Springfield) Service Grade"

For $950 either the "M1 Garand, Service Grade HRA (Harrington & Richardson) Special. HRA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original HRA manufacture."

Or, for $995 "M1 Garand, CMP Special (.30-06) M1 Garand Harrington & Richardson receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Harrington & Richardson receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Minor Pitting may be present."

I'm leaning towards the $625 as that is very affordable for me. I figure if the wood really sucks I can buy new and upgrade it later. ANy opinions on what would be my best option?

2. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

No opinions? On GlockTalk? LOL

3. orgnova

orgnova

Limited budget, go for the $625. I have a field grade that I put on a synthetic stock and scope and shoot it the most. I have the service grade I take out every once in awhile. The cmp special comes out some but not as much. They are a piece of history. If you can make it to the south store in Anniston, AL, you hand hand pick the one you want. I would call first to see what they have in stock. My 2¢.

4. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

I ordered a Springfield Service Grade ($625) from CMP the end of November. Just got it in and I'm floored by it.

Muzzle wear at 0+
    Throat erosion at 2
    Bright, shiney barrel bore
    OpRod was one of the last batch made.
    Birch Flame wood stock that's gorgeous (look up birch flame wood)
    manufactured in May 1942
    LEAD rebuild in 1965.

It's practically brand new. I don't want to shoot it. I'm afraid to put a dent in the wood. I am so happy with this rifle and so impressed with CMP. :supergrin:

Glolt20-91 likes this.
  5. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

6. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Mine's apart right now getting all cleaned and lubed. Thing was dry as the desert. Took it apart and didn't find any oil or grease anywhere.

Here's a picture of both sides of my CMP SA Service Grade stock. Quite an eyeful.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    nursetim likes this.
  7. kirgi08

A CMP is on the list.'08.

8. KIDCOP

KIDCOP Rifle Master Millennium Member

This thread seems to be moving a little slow. As a person who has purchased a Service grade and a Field grade, I would recommend buying the most rifle you can. The real difference between field and service grades is the barrel. Yeah you CAN always change out a barrel at a later date but the difference between the 2 rifle grades $ wise is less than having a gun smith replace and fit the barrel. By the way, the field grade shoots no where near as good as any of my service grades. But, the field grade is about two parts away from being WWII correct. The thing to remember is you will NEVER loose $ on a CMP rifle.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. Tank44

Tank44 Tank44

I have a service grade, a barreled receiver that I built up, and a CMP Special in .308. I shoot them all and love them. They are my favorite guns.

10. AR-G23

AR-G23 Angry Hedgehog

Put my order in the mail yesterday for a Service grade. Buckeye, I hope I get as lucky as you. Can't wait to see what I get!

11. kirgi08

12. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

Congratulations on your Springfield Garand, definitely a lot of history there. :)

13. AR-G23

AR-G23 Angry Hedgehog

Mailed my order in on Aug 28. M1 arrived on Sept 9th. I ordered a service grade, added a note requesting a WWII vintage with USGI wood. Didn't get a WWII aged rifle but I did get a really nice HRA with original wood. It's in great shape with just enough dings and scratches to make it interesting. Can't wait to try it out. It is pretty cool to own a piece of American history.