Glock Talk banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts
Discussion starter · #62 · (Edited)
Why would Glock want to make a single stack 9 when the market is already flooded with them and no interest from military or police? The single stack 45 isn't flying off the shelves in my area.
Seriously? Have you tried to find a Shield 9mm? Sellers are asking and getting over MSRP in my area. That is not indicative of a flood. Also, how many double stacks are out there?

As for the safety, I don;t get all the hoo-ha. I actually like it for a CCW. I like the idea that if a tussle occurs that someone grabbing my gun can't just pull the trigger. As a 1911 guy, actuating the safety is automatic. I guess to each their own.

Kahr has had single-stack polymer 9mm guns available for years. Good guns. The Shield doesn't break any new ground. Glock knows it's market - service-caliber weapons that are mag-compatible. The G26 is a better gun than the Shield. Care to do a durability test? Glock has nothing to prove, and the G26 is a bullet hose.

S&W did a polymer-frame single stack 9mm about 10 years back (SW9M, anyone? More like "S&M"!). It went - exactly nowhere.

J-frame and 158gr Winchester or Federal LSWCHP+P. If not that, carry something worthy of a belt holster - like a G26 or G27.

Remember, folks, S&W's selling point is that the M&P is now the "anti-Glock". Count on S&W to offer what Glock doesn't. Know what? I hope S&W succeeds. Why? Because LE needs guns with S&W features (manual safety levers, mag disconnects, and even single-stack service caliber guns). The departure of S&W's metal-framed 3rd Gen/TSW guns left a vacuum. It's filled now.

When S&W (or anyone else) builds something better than a G17, G19, or G26, they will earn my undivided attention. Getting closer, but no cigar, Springfield. I still may own a M&P 45 someday, though. Glock does nothing in "ACP" that makes me happy.

Kahr has had single-stack polymer 9mm guns available for years. Good guns. The Shield doesn't break any new ground. Glock knows it's market - service-caliber weapons that are mag-compatible...

S&W did a polymer-frame single stack 9mm about 10 years back (SW9M, anyone? More like "S&M"!). It went - exactly nowhere...

Winner.

Everyone wanted a Keltec, then an LCR, then an LC9, then the p290, ad nauseum. Just the flavor of the month. Nothing wrong with that as marketing knows many gun buyers are more fickle than women shoe shoppers. Nothing new here.

Single stack 9? My dream is the service-size single stack 45. Eight or nine rounds with the thinner grip frame and slide......wonderful, I would think! Then a G19 sized 7 rd for off duty...PERFECT!
Agreed. It violates their "best" philosophy of more is better, but the American market would jump on a full-sized single-stack 45 Glock like white on rice.

IMO every 1911 owner (imaging how many there are) would buy one just to have a Glock that was sorta-kinda like their baby.

I believe one day they will.

TTR

The problem with the Shield is that it's a Smith & Wesson. Smith and Wesson changes models and generations of semi-auto pistols like most of you change your socks. Sadly, in a couple years the Shield will be replaced by a newer, better model that surprisingly will require different mags, holsters, accessories. You get the picture.
That is a valid point. Look at the FN pistol line. They come out with very new stuff probably every 7-10 years. Now if something sticks, they'll stick with it. It's a chicken and egg argument.

TTR

Why would Glock want to make a single stack 9 when the market is already flooded with them and no interest from military or police? The single stack 45 isn't flying off the shelves in my area.
IMO this is because it isn't a true full-size gun. 90% of users have to lift their grip off the pistol to reload. That really hurts the design with the US crowd.

I had a smilier situation with the Glock 19 with grip-reductions. It causes my hand to drop farther down on the grip and I get bit on reloads.

Since the GEN 4 comes with good texture and has a slightly different hump. I take to it like water. The GEN 4's brought me BACK to the Glock after being away for 15 years.

TTR

Discussion starter · #69 · (Edited)
Argue the minutia all you want, but I carry my Shield over my 26 simply because it is far more comfortable. OI carry it over my Kahr PM because o better capacity and a better trigger and a more comfortable size...to me. My Shield has gone bang every tme regardless of ammo and I needn't torture test it since I don't plan to use it in a tortuous way.

Simply put, I was saying if Glock built it I would prefer it more and it would sell big time.

I know this is a beaten to death topic, but after returning from the range where I spent time with my new S&W Shield, I am reminded just how badly I wish Glock made a single stack 9mm with a standard 7 round mag. The Shield is really nice, but Glock could do better. I guess I can dream.
What makes you think Glock could do better? :dunno:

Discussion starter · #72 · (Edited)
What makes you think Glock could do better? :dunno:
Let's see...fit and finish, a grip angle and trigger that is more familiar to me since I have several other Glocks, parts seem to become more readily available for Glock pistols and some prefer no manual safety (although really not a deal breaker or maker for me). Finally, I just like a Glock better.

...oh....and I really like the box the Glock comes in way better than the cardboard one from Smith:cool:

From my NBE (no business experience) point of view, it seems like a single stack 9mm would be a wash because, while it would bring in new customers, it would also take customers away from the 26. At best, a single stack 7-round Glock could be unbelievably successful, and make the 26 all but obsolete, or the other way around.

If you are choosing the 26 over the 19, you are already ok with less capacity for a weapon that conceals better. If that's the case, why not just keep going to the single stack? I would like to see what the Shield has done to Smith's sales of their version of the 26,
The M&P subcompact.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Let's see...fit and finish, a grip angle and trigger that is more familiar to me since I have several other Glocks, parts seem to become more readily available for Glock pistols and some prefer no manual safety (although really not a deal breaker or maker for me). Finally, I just like a Glock better.

...oh....and I really like the box the Glock comes in way better than the cardboard one from Smith:cool:
Ok, so its better for you.

I would disagree.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.