CM9 for travel to Florida?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Wurger, Nov 10, 2019 at 9:48 PM.

1. Wurger

Wurger

In a couple weeks myself and my ten year old are headed to Florida for vacation. I’m from PA and Florida accepts our CCW permits so I plan to carry while there. There are a number of pistols I could take. SIG P365, Kahr CM9, Glock 26, Ruger LCP or S&W 442. It’s going to be warm so shorts and pocket carry. G26 can be pocket carried but is a bit bulky and heavy. S&W 442 is great for pocket carry but 5 shots and a slow reload never made me overly happy. Ruger LCP.....well I’d prefer 9mm over the .380ACP. SIG P365 would be perfect except I worry about any problems with the air line travel. I have a TSA approved mini safe but worry about it being stolen or improperly impounded by TSA. So I’m leaning toward the CM9. Small, light, in 9mm and 7 total rounds onboard with another 6 in a spare mag. What do you think? Im probably over thinking it but I want to know if my logic is sound or if I should consider other factors.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  2. ronin.45

ronin.45

Any of those would work fine. I'm not really understanding why the 365 would have more issues on the plane. It seems like the obvious choice.

G26-Has-my-6 and Joshhtn like this.

3. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Why is the CM9 less likely to be stolen or impounded?

Joshhtn likes this.
  4. mj9mm

mj9mm

i had a CM9 and understand why it's a contender, but why wouldn't the P365 be better?

Joshhtn likes this.
  5. azdave

azdave

I believe you are overthinking things... wouldn't ANY of them be equally susceptible to being stolen, if someone wanted to steal a gun? Wouldn't ANY of them be equally susceptible to being "impounded" if you did something warranting that?
    Carry whichever you feel would fit the needs/dress/weather the best and enjoy the trip. My air travel with guns has always been a breeze.

Joshhtn likes this.
  6. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

[​IMG]

Have you seen the headlines from Floriderp? And you only want to take 13 rounds??

ETA: I flew my G26 in a TSA box cabled to the inside of my suitcase (declared obviously) and had zero issues.

willie_pete, ScarFace88 and Joshhtn like this.
  7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Good choice.

My PM9 is a throw away gun.

Sharkey likes this.
  8. Wurger

Wurger

This......The P365 is $500, the CM9 is like $300.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1

Wuger sorry but since you brought up the subject why did you own any handguns as if ythey were ever needed to defend your self with LE will claim it for some time and the condition it comes back in might be !! . If you feel the TSA will claim your handgun for what ever reason you'll have NO handgun to take so since your concerned maybe you should take no handgun .

Or do as most adults will do and make up your own mind . After all If you can afford to fly to florida , rent a car and pay all the rest of the cost to enjoy that vacation while your there is the difference in handgun prices really anything to worry about ? OR Buy a cheap knife and good pepper spray to carry while your there .

When I was still flying to hunt I would take custom built rifle hard to replace and not worry about it as sheet happens . The gun case looks like it went thru a tornado but rifle was fine . You will have insurance is for and some people will get riders for personal coverage . Video the handgun going into the case after tsa checks it too .

10. fxstchewy

fxstchewy

I would take the CM9, lighter in the pocket, I have all the ones you list also and that would be my choice for walking around, 442 would be ok but less rounds.

11. bandsaw

bandsaw

I've traveled all over the US with my 365 and NEVER had any issues with TSA "impounding" my firearms. I don't believe for a minute you'll have any issues there. You're leaving a Concealed Carry state flying to another.
    I just returned from Maine, traveled with my shotgun and 365 in the same gun box with ammo. Nothing, No Problems either way and I had multiple stops to change flights.
    Don't sweat it. Carry your 365 it's the best for warm weather carry.

12. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

CM9 is also very dependable once broken in. The 365 is suspect in several regards and made my a company that has not been upfront about all it's shortcomings.

13. 45caldan

45caldan

I wouldn't worry about problems with it flying but I think the best one of yours for pocket carry is the CM9 unless your pockets are smallish, then the LCP....
    I know some people pocket carry the P365 but I find it a little big for that.

14. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

I'd take the P365, but the CM9 is a good pistol and will serve you well. I would add that spare magazines and Kahr Pistols are kind of a hassle. That's why my wife carries mine. She doesn't carry spare magazines, and I always do. Spare Kahr mags just seem to have a way of choking and puking in my experience, and not being gtg when you reach for 'em.

You probably won't need any gun at all, much less a reload, but, hey, Florida! LOL

15. Wurger

Wurger

Rats....just watched the Active Self Protection video and basically a armed guard defended against two armed robbers and because he ran out of ammo he was shot and lost his life. Maybe the P365 after all or a LCP in addition to the CM9 for a NY reload?

I know I was surprised in how little difference there was between the CM9 and P365 for pocket carry.

View: https://youtu.be/kC2rLEbgDBc

16. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

We have a high of 55 today. This time of year, be prepared for warm and cool weather. This is long pants, boots, T shirt and hoody weather for me.

17. jstrange

jstrange

You are finally entering the time of year in Florida where you could actually wear long pants and a light jacket without frying to death. So you could probably conceal what you want. In any event, bring what you want, you’ll be fine. If you are going to Miami area I reserve the right to suggest more powerful armament. Anywhere else, carry what you want.

18. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

^
    l--------- this

19. FL-obiwan

FL-obiwan

Having worked at a major airport for almost 20 years I take the potential theft very seriously. Not TSA but baggage handlers. Ive seen reports (I was a Federal LEO) of the arrests of baggage handlers and carousel pirates. Everyone knows how to penetrate the zippers on the bags. My travel gun (since retirement) is a KelTec P11 in a metal case attached to the suitcase frame via cable. It was cheap to buy even 20+ years ago and I wouldn't be TOO upset if it were stolen.

20. wally1

wally1

Well, there is a thread on the Kahr forim titled " Can't give my cm9 away" so....