clueless media

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by loboblanca, Nov 29, 2005.

1. loboblanca

loboblanca

Ya'll remember that G-V out of Portland that had a gear problem last week? I swear the news channels were disappointed that they didnt get any good footage of a gear up.

These are only a handful of the idiotic statments I heard from Fox, CNN, and MSNBC while they pulled commentary out of their butts:

"These pilots are trained to do belly landings."

"They're using Hillsborogh for touch and goes, but will do the emergency landing at PDX."

"They can't go to full throttle at low altitude because there's too much wind resistance."

"The landing gear has independent systems so they can raise and lower the landing gear independently, that might be what they are doing."

"Since they were headed to Toronto, they probably have at least 20,000 gallons of fuel on board."

"Since the plane has a very hard bottom, won't that hurt the runway for future landings?"

"The current concern is that the right wing might hit the ground, causing the plane to trip-up kind of and then go into a tailspin."

Weather at PDX was sometimes close to half-mile vis due to fog-- Question "Is the lowering of visibility going to be an issue for a gear up landing?" Answer: "Wx isn't at all an issue since the pilots are trained in VFR and Approach VFR both."

"Sometimes the chocks, which are triangular pieces of wood to hold the airplane in place on the ground, can get tangled up in the wheel-wells, and that just might be what's jamming the landing gear on this aircraft."

There were so many more that I couldn't write downm but equally as misinformed. No wonder there are people afraid to fly. When I got home I was asked about this by my inlaws..I told them that the GV is an awesome plane I would love to retire on. They answered, "well not if the gear doesn't work, I won't ever fly on one."

Reminds me of stuff we've all heard in the past: "The airplane that was damaged in the hangar was not on a flight plan" and my favorite: "the damaged aircraft was seen flying close to the ground just before impact."

2. Beeg

Beeg

They love catch phrases and words like "tailspin", "nosedive", etc...

For media types it's all about verbage and headlines rather than accuracy in what they're talking about. I did a sit down interview with a guy from AIN (Aviation Intenational News) a few years back and I went slow and articulated everything so he could copy it down accurately. When the article came out I shouldn't have been so surprised when he printed a few things out of context or left things out that changed statements I had made. Go figure.... And this was from a reputable aviation publication.

3. crash141

crash141

Just think how far out to lunch the media is on airplane stories, how far off base do you think they are in everything else they report?

4. jungle

jungle

Not to worry. If they don't know they will just make it up. If you have any technical expertise on any given subject, a newspaper or TV report involving that subject will be an amusing mix of errors, half truths, lies, and incorrect terminology. It will contain some unintentional humor though.

5. .45SureShot

.45SureShot

I think that's my favorite one.

~Alex

6. CaptainOveur

CaptainOveur

Totally. Any good pilot knows it just takes a bit of throttle to clear the chocks. :cool:

7. BadLight

BadLight Was that a tree

My Ex (of 16 years) was a "reporter" Almost all of the stuff she "reported was BS". The funniest thing that happened was a young man tore a wing off his Mooney Mite (well that wasn't funny at all) and I was a witness to the whole thing (I was flying wing in a Citabria). I never got interviewed and I was a eye witness! Their story and mine differ by a very large margin. I *never* believe anything in a newspaper. I quit reading them about 20 years ago.

8. Skyhook

Skyhook

I am surprised and disappointed in the quoted material.. not once was the dreaded AK-47 MENTIONED..;f

9. loboblanca

loboblanca

Gulfstream’s initial investigation into the November 21 incident involving a jammed right landing gear on Nike’s GV revealed corrosion on the main landing gear (MLG) uplock linkage bungee. According to a December 5 service letter sent to GV, G500 and G550 operators, “It is suspected this corrosion caused the bungee to freeze in the extended position, contributing to the MLG door being out of sequence during the extension and retraction cycles... With the door linkage system out of sequence, hydraulic pressure was attempting to close the door before the landing gear had completed its retraction cycle.” The gear finally was freed after the Nike crew removed hydraulic pressure by temporarily shutting down the left engine and performing a negative g maneuver. In addition to other solutions being considered, “Gulfstream is evaluating the addition of a filler to the inboard gear door where the tire made contact.”