close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

closing threads?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by ubimow, Aug 30, 2002.

1. ubimow

ubimow

It seems to me that there are moderators that are closing threads just because they do not like the topic or because they are losing an argument with one or more of the posters. I think that the members of this forum have contributed enought to GT to be allowed to discusss things as long as they are not vulgar or overly (obviously) offensive to the majority of the posters!! What is up with the attitudes lately?;Q

2. matt3310

matt3310 who me???

ill second that. anyone???

3. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

I honestly feel that the moderators do a bang up job on this site. It's been my experience that a moderated board is much more useful and enjoyable than a nonmoderated board.

That doesn't mean that everyone will agree with the moderator's actions on each particular issue but that just isn't possible because they are often placed in a position to make a judgement call. If they allow threads to go into a downward spiral, folks will be upset that they aren't doing enough, and when they take preemptive action others will say they are being too harsh.

I think that we all have to look at the forest that is Glock Talk and not just a particular tree or thread. So let's all just cut them a little slack and trust that they have the best interest of the board in mind. Furthermore let's not forget that the moderators are donating their time here and could use our support.

4. PatrolMom

PatrolMom

I hardly think that posting for three and four months qualifies each of you to make the assumptions you've made about the mods.

Threads are closed for two reasons. 1. They violate Eric's rules 2. The thread starter has privately requested the thread be closed.

Moreover, and for your information, if you have problems, questions comments or concerns about how the board is run, it's customary to send the mods or Eric a private message. It's only the polite thing to do.

5. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

PMom said it well.
    It is a private board.
    The rules are posted when you sign up.
    The easiest way to think of it, is that we are in Eric's living room as guest.
    If this does not fit your needs there are other boards that may.

6. matt3310

matt3310 who me???

im not one to pick a fight, but i post a lot here, a lot more than once in a while, more like once a night. and am pretty new to the site. i just noticed what he said was true.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I also believe the Mods/Eric do an absolutely outstanding job of keeping things under control here at GT, its one of the things that makes this place so pleasant.

However, I tend to agree with Ubi when it comes to a particular moderator, especially as of late. No reason to call names, it would just fuel a fire I wish not to be involved in. Most of the threads that I believe Ubi is referring to, I had very little interest in.

As a whole though, I believe Eric, Patricia and the other mods, do a great job.

IGF

8. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

OK
    Still the same response; if you have an issue with a Mod PM them or Eric.

9. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Can't speak for any other mod but myself, but I'd like to believe that when I close a thread, it is done fairly and w/o predjudice. PatrolMom said:

"Threads are closed for two reasons. 1. They violate Eric's rules 2. The thread starter has privately requested the thread be closed."

That's pretty much what drives me to close threads. Either the reason is obvious because of a rule violation, or the author has requested its closure. What's interesting about all of this is the diverse reaction when a thread is closed. I've had folks PM me thanking me for closing a particular thread they felt was way out of line, while at the same time I received a PM or email yelling at me for my "stupid" decision to close the same thread! ;g

Bottom line is I work for Eric, Sidearmor and Scott, and have been asked to make sure everything posted here abides by Eric's rules, and is appropriate for a family-oriented site. That's what I do, and will continue to do. Cheers. :)

10. igrp

igrp ut supra

I don't really want to get too involved in this.
    Actually, I just wanted to point out that moderating a BBS (can you tell I'm getting old? ;)) really is a lot of work. I've been a moderator on smaller (and I mean, waaay smaller) boards myself and I also know what's involved in administering a site. And let me tell you that it's not as trivial as it looks, and after a while takes quite a toll on your personal life as it requires more and more time.

Sure people make mistakes and whatever you do there's always going to be someone who takes offense to it. Personally, I'm under the impression though that the moderators are doing an outstandingly good job.

I guess I just wanted to say thanks. :)

11. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart CLM Millennium Member

With all due respect, it is an attitude like this that brings down this board. I think most folks contributed because they wanted to help out. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that gave them license to behave however they wanted. As a matter of fact, I think that is exactly what Eric feared some would think when he asked for help. You may not always agree with the job we do, but it is because of the standards that Eric has set and that the mods help uphold that make this board is as popular as it is. Believe me, there are plenty of unmoderated boards that have come and gone in the same amount of time that GT has thrived. If you have a problem with a particular moderator, I suggest you contact Eric directly and privately.

12. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I'm very sensitive to injustice, unfairness and all other species of BS...
    I can't remember the last time I felt a thread was closed out of anger or for any other poopy reason...

No complaints, which also translates to... my compliments!
    ;c