Closed Threads

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by SMSTRICK, Sep 24, 2007.

1. SMSTRICK

SMSTRICK "WE THE PEOPLE"

I was wondering why so many threads are being closed. I know that asking this simple question will surely offend someone, and this thread will be closed too without explanation . I would generally ask this question privately (as is appropriate,) but my questions were not replied to in the past. There is a possibility that this was my fault, due to possibility using the wrong email address. ([email protected] rather than [email protected])
    I am not trying to cause trouble and surely am not trying to rock the boat. I would just like to ask (respectfully) that before a moderator closes a thread, that they enter as the last post as to why , so that I can have a better idea of what not to do in the future. I am not into pushing or testing limits here because I respect the fact that this is not my site, I am a guest here. I do wish and desire to follow the rules as well as to stay well within the limits as to what is viewed as appropriate on this site. The reason for this post is that I have seen COUNTLESS threads closed in the past, re-read them over and over and could not find a reason as to why. The past four or five threads that I opened to read were all closed threads. It was obvious as to why one of them was closed, but the others , I have no idea, and there is no lesson learned. I just feel that a simple last post explanation would better enable people such as my self to have a better understanding as to what rules are being broken, as well as better knowledge as to how not to break them in the future.
    Respectfully, SMSTRICK

:)

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

SMSTRICK, there are many reasons that a thread can be closed, and not all of them are obvious to an outside observer. It can be as simple as the original poster asking the thread be closed, as the original question has been answered to his/her satisfaction.

Some are because Eric has said he want certain hot-button subjects to be given a rest; Global Warming is a good recent example. You get the same 6-8 people calling each other names within the first page or two, and it goes downhill from there. Beefcake/cheesecake picture threads are another example; some folks just have to push the limits until they end up going WAY over the line.

Often, a thread is not reported until it has become littered with vicious responses and/or prohibited images, all of which have been quoted 3 times each by later posters. To "clean up" a thread like this so it could be continued would simply take to much of the limited time available to the volunteer Mods/Admins, and so it gets closed (or deleted entirely, if it's bad enough) instead. If it has valuable info in it that others might like to reference, the most offensive entries will be edited, and then the thread locked, thus removing the stuff that originally caused the closing.

Finally, some folks here just can't seem to comprehend or follow simple rules; rules proven by time and experience to be very effective at keeping crap and conflict to a minimum.

If you'd like to help us prevent closings in the future, you might try to report problems in a thread early, so they can be addressed/fixed before they get completely out of hand; don't quote posts that have obvious rule violations; and help maintain a civil atmosphere in all threads you post in, setting a good example for the other folks to follow.

It's often said that reasonable folks can disagree without being disagreeable, and we'd like to see that encouraged as much as possible.

Hope this helps you understand the situation a bit better.

3. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

Look, how many times, in the last ten years, do you think I have had someone just like you post a thread just like this? We do things the way we do because we have discovered, after running the place for ten years, that this is the best, easiest way to run things. It takes time to deal with the problems that arise here. Too much time. We do not generally post explanations when a thread is closed because that would take more time and if we did, it would invite a debate of the decision that would take even more time to deal with.

Besides, as I have said many, many times, it is almost always readily apparent why a thread was closed. The fact is, 40,000 or 50,000 messages a week get posted here. No one message is worth the time or trouble to go spend too much time dealing with. If a thread you were watching gets closed, there are plenty more to go around. This place is way to fluid to get mired down dealing with a few problem threads or problem posters.

If you want a fuller understanding of the posting rules, you can review them here: https://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=415933 . They are not hard to understand or follow. The way this site is run hasn't changed in a decade and it isn't going to change now. Our methods may not be perfect, but they are the best compromise of expediency versus fairness versus order that we have been able to come up with. My advice to you is to not take things here too seriously. Eric

4. SMSTRICK

SMSTRICK "WE THE PEOPLE"

DJ Niner,

Thank you for the response . I really appreciate you taking the time to help me gain some kind of perspective as to what is happening. When it comes to the "cheesecake" threads, I know that they are a thing of the past since I have seen first hand that there is at least one or two people out there who just take it to the extreme , getting the thing locked down.
    I am also aware that there are many threads that do get locked down because of people making offensive or malicious personal attacks when others do not agree with them. There have also been some that have been closed as a result of a moderator misinterpreting a passionate debate for bickering and argueing. In one instance , we were having a history debate and were really having a good time because we were challenged to back up our points by fact searching and doing actual homework. That thread was closed without any kind of warning or explanation,...and the participants were more disapointed than angry. To be honest with you,...we were taken back by it being closed because noone made a malicious attack or was being openly disrespectful. We were having a respectful debate.
    I brought this topic up within a thread once , but it was closed after I possed this topic in the form of a question . Before the thread was closed ,the moderator (or maybe Eric ?) stated that the open board was not the appropriate place to discuss topics such as that, and that I should pose such questions directly to the either the moderator or administrator. When I did,...I think that I tried to contact Eric while using the wrong e-mail address, because I received no response. (I think that I used the wrong e-mail.) I thought that I was being ignored until I very recently discovered that he goes by a totally different e-mail address from the one that I had previously used.
    Thank you again for the response. I am not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill,....honestly. I was just starting to get frustrated because I have been unclear as to why threads get closed without a warning or explanation. Again,...thank you for your polite response. :) (I have learned that this is a VERY touchy subject.)

5. SMSTRICK

SMSTRICK "WE THE PEOPLE"

Thank you for the response. I am sorry that , once again, you had to deal with such a redundant question. ( I am sure that can be annoying after time ) I just figured that making clear what is unclear and vague would be an improvement. I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I would wish for you to change how this forum is run after a decade. I am aware of and respect the forum rules. If I were to do something which would result in a thread being closed, I would like to know so as to better enable myself to prevent it from happening again (especially if I were trully unaware as to an infraction.)
    I'm sorry to waste your time. I trully have no idea what goes on behind the scenes as well as how things have to be prioritized to make things run efficiently and smoothly. Overall,...I think that you are doing a HELL of a job, and run one of the best gun related forums on the internet. I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of it. :)