close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Closed Threads: An Alternative Suggestion

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by axel, Jul 16, 2006.

1. axel

axel Nov. 11, 1918

Eric and the Mods~

I'm wondering if I can throw in my 2 cents regarding closed threads. Many times threads are closed for offensive language, personal attacks, etc. but the offending language or attack is still there for everyone to read. It seems to me that by leaving the thread visible it kind of defeats the purpose of closing it.

What I'd like to see is for closed threads to simply disappear from the forum they're in. Eric could make a one-time statement up front that going forward, all closed threads will not just be closed they will be deleted with no further discussion. It's clear that leaving the deleted thread visible as an example to others doesn't really stem the tide (wander through RI on any given day). Continually, there are new threads regarding previously closed threads. True, these are mostly by newbies who haven't read the rules but not always.

I really like this community and would like to see all the Forums remain, even the Religion Forum. Thanks to everyone for making GT a great place.

Rick

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

We appreciate your thoughts on this subject. I would like to mention, though, that while I understand your reasoning, even this could be abused. If some people knew in advance they could get an entire thread completely removed just by making a rule-breaking post, I believe this would rapidly develop into a weapon that would be used to silence or censor opposing viewpoints, even at the risk of being banned.

3. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

Hiya Axel.

My concern would be the animosity it would engender. Deleting threads has the power to cause a lot of anger and resentment amongst users.

A locked thread says "This behavior is unacceptable"

A deleted thread leaves people thinking "thought police"

Just my take.

4. axel

axel Nov. 11, 1918

No problem guys. Thanks for hearing me out. I'll keep a'thinkin'.