close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cloned HD has disappeared

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TenMillimeter, Jan 25, 2006.

1. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

I recently added a second HD to my Dell 4700 w/ XP Pro. Everything seemed to work. I formatted it, renamed it drive Z:, then used Acronis True Image to clone my original onto the new drive. There were no problems, and I could see drive Z: under My Computer. I had formatted it as NTFS. What I found curious is I could hear the new drive occasionally afterward as programs were accessed, like it was working off of the cloned drive.

Tonight, I happened to go look for it, and it appears to be gone. In Computer Management, I see the C: drive, and above it are listed two unnamed partitions; one w/ FAT file system, and the other with FAT32 file system. In My Computer, I do not see the second drive anymore. I did verify under Properties & Hardware that C: is the old HD.

Any ideas of what may have caused this, or how I can fix it, short of starting from scratch again? If it matters, I've had several lockups in the meanwhile, and I saw it analyzing the drive once during startup.

Thanks

2. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

Are the two Fat partitions on the same line (ie part of the same drive) or seperate drives? Is your C: drive a Fat system?

3. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

Yes, it appears the two unnamed partitions are part of the same drive. The C: drive is NTFS.