close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Clock drift

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by SamBuca, Aug 29, 2004.

1. SamBuca

SamBuca

Clock is drifting in XP...it gets behind minutes per day and started after I put SP2 on. Manually running the built in NTP thing is getting annoying. Is this one of the undocumented features of service pack 2? :(

2. gudel

gudel

Nope, time's good on 3 desktops, 2 laptops, with XP SP2.
    you got windows time service set on auto? you can also set it to auto update time.

3. SamBuca

SamBuca

It only updates every few days...by that time it'll be a day behind.

None of the other machines that have SP2 have given me this problem, but it only started after SP2. Damnit ^9

4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

My son replaced the motherboard in my computer last Christmas. The clock on this thing is all over the place! SP2 didn't fix it either.

Dave

5. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

There are several programs out that will check the time using atomic clock servers each time you boot. Just about everyone reboots occasionally, so this should take care of it.

6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff The baddest

I would wager you have a problem with the CMOS battery on the mobo that keeps the time while the power is off. You can replace it if you are willing to dig into your computer innards or you can live with it and just let windows update from the timeserver to keep it up to date.

7. SamBuca

SamBuca

The computer is not rebooted. This is a clock drift problem, not a RTC problem.

8. Training Junkie

Training Junkie

what issue? this is a MS enhanced feature!!!!!

9. SamBuca

SamBuca

That's what I'm afraid of ;g

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/
    Why Dimension 4?

Simply put, Dimension 4 v5.0 is the fastest and easiest way to synchronize your PC's clock for Windows-based operating systems. Once Dimension 4 is installed, you'll most likely forget that it's even running. It's that automatic.

Dimension 4 will monitor your Internet connection and automatically adjust your PC's clock when you're online at an interval you specify.

Non-commercial users of Dimension 4 v5.0 can optionally donate US $10 to support further development of Dimension 4, as well as other future products.

If you choose not to donate US $10, that's OK. But ... Please send us some email letting us know that you're using Dimension 4. We're always excited to hear from our users!! :)

11. Locke

Locke

Sam, the built-in NTP is supposed to start at (IIRC) every 5 minutes, then gradually work its way out to (again IIRC) 90 hours between syncs. It's *supposed* to stop lengthening the intervals if the time difference is off by too much.

Are you overclocking or underclocking the PC?

12. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff The baddest

Isn't the Windows clock the same as the CMOS clock?

So it indeed could be an associated problem.

But anyway, maybe the new Windows firewall is somehow blocking the timeserver update from getting out.

I don't know, shooting in the dark.

13. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

No. There are at least two clocks on a computer. Some have more but general desktops have two.

The CMOS clock is run by the battery onboard, when the battery goes bad it generally goes back to Jan 01, 1970. It could be another year, depending on the BIOS, but that's epoc.

When the boot starts, the Operating System gets the CMOS time and starts its own clock from that point. This clock uses the CPU ticks to keep time. The OS never again checks the CMOS clock unless you specifically tell it to do so. There are not that many programs that will do this automatically and all of those you would know if you installed.

After time, the OS clock (System Clock) and the CMOS clock (Hardware Clock) can be off by any number of seconds, including years off each other, and nothing would catch it as there is no reason to check it.

An NTP program will keep the System Clock in sync with the NTP server but you have to tell it to update the Hardware Clock if you want it to do that.

When you shut down, one of the tasks the OS does is sync Hardware clock with System clock. The assumption is the System clock is the more accurate of the two.

Does that explain the two?

DanH

14. SamBuca

SamBuca

Nope. It was fine until SP2 was installed.

15. Locke

Locke

Just a thought.

Try:
    NET TIME /SETSNTP "192.5.41.40 192.5.41.41"

you can specify multiple time servers in this way for your Windows box. Let me know if you still get drift.