close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Clock changing every 15 minutes

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pjrocco, Apr 17, 2007.

1. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

My work computer is 4 minutes fast all the time. When I change it to the correct time on the next 15 it will change it back to 4 minutes fast. The BIOS time is correct, but the windows time is wrong. I'm running a Dell with Windows 2000 SP4.

2. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll Pantless Wonder

My clock changes every second!

OK seriously though, maybe the windows time is right and your home clock is 4 min.'s slow.

It changes prolly because it syncs with the internet.

My guess. :dunno:

3. srhoades

srhoades

Is this your work computer at work or work computer at home? If at work are you connected to a domain? If so the domain controller generally regulates the time for the workstations.

4. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

It is my work computer at work. Yes, it's on a domain, but the other PCs around me don't do it, just mine. I've never seen anything like it.

5. Round Pounder

Round Pounder

I don't think it would be Internet time synchronization, as that only happens once per week or when manually initiated. From Windows help:

"Synchronizing your computer clockIf your computer is a member of a domain, your computer clock is probably synchronized automatically by a network time server. If your computer is not a member of a domain, you can synchronize your computer clock with an Internet time server.

If synchronization is enabled, your computer clock is synchronized with an Internet time server once a week. However, if you don't have a continuous Internet connection through a cable modem or DSL modem, the automatic synchronization might not always occur. In that case, you can force an immediate synchronization by clicking the Update Now button on the Internet Time tab in Date and Time in Control Panel. This tab is only available if your computer is not a member of a domain."

6. JCWohlschlag

JCWohlschlag

I don’t know about the rest of you guys and gals, but I’ve noticed over the past couple weeks that Windows XP’s Internet Time synchronization has not been working. Both “time.windows.com” and “time.nist.gov” produce errors when you try to manually synchronize the time. I had to change mine to “time-a.nist.gov” to get it to synchronize correctly.

7. irobinson

irobinson Semper Absurda

Time server sync is not enable when on a domain. The machine is supposed to sync to the DC. And it not supposed to let you login either if the time is wrong.