Glock Talk banner

Clive Cussler

1639 Views 20 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Lesh
I've seen Clive's books out for many years but never picked one up before. I've just read "Lost City" and "Black Wind" (he co-authored both.) Pretty good reading, I just went out and picked up a couple more - "Sahara" and "Inca Gold" - both Dirk Pitt adventures. I see where Sahara has been made into a movie, will have to rent it after I finish the book.

Looks like I found a new "favorite" author.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm only on my 3rd Cussler book but already I'm seeing alot of "repeated" themes/incidents, such as small submersibles and their crew being stolen/kidnapped, threats to the oceans that will cause death of humanity. Edited to add: Oh god, red-eyed mutants in this book too!!! This is getting ridiculous! Surely this guy has a little more imagination!!

I sure hope he doesn't just keep re-writing the same story over and over.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'm kinda reading them out of order. My first Pitt novel was Black Wind, which was actually a Dirk, Jr. novel. I then read Sahara and just finished Inca Gold. It was a little confusing at first because I thought that Dirk was the same character as Dirk, Jr. but I think I have things straightened out now. Since I already got a copy of Shock Wave, I'll read it and then try to start at the beginning and read them in order.

I saw the movie "Sahara" which was "loosely" based on the book. Wasn't too bad I guess but then I've never seen a movie that did justice to the book.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by OB1

I've since quit the series because it's the same plot over and over.
Yep, I see that happening already. It seems that Dirk finds his "true love" in each book and then you never hear about her again (except for the senator lady who seems to be a steady doinking partner.)

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Another19
SPOILER ALERT

NOT TRUE! He has one true love through most of the books, although she is only in one. It is the mother of his children, the woman that he thought had died trying to save her father.
Yes, I had heard him refer to his love "Summer" in other books but she supposedly died. The point I was trying to make earlier is he seems to fall in love with a new woman in each book, and then you never hear about her again.

By the way, I just finished the first Dirk Pitt novel, "Pacific Vortex" (where he meets the woman you mentioned) and thought it was pretty good. The only error was it was impossible for him to have impregnated Summer during the brief times that they actually met. So, where did the twins come from? I've heard that Cussler admitted that he screwed that one up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.