close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Clive Cussler

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by JimmyD, Jul 17, 2006.

1. JimmyD

JimmyD

I've seen Clive's books out for many years but never picked one up before. I've just read "Lost City" and "Black Wind" (he co-authored both.) Pretty good reading, I just went out and picked up a couple more - "Sahara" and "Inca Gold" - both Dirk Pitt adventures. I see where Sahara has been made into a movie, will have to rent it after I finish the book.

Looks like I found a new "favorite" author.

2. k2ue

k2ue Member

The books are a great way to spend a long flight -- but regrettably the movies are terrible -- neither Cussler nor Crichton seem to have any luck turning their books into decent movies.

3. rdsharp

rdsharp

Jacqueline Kennedy Onnasis was his editor on Raise the Titanic, and I think one other book. I've read most of his stuff, and IMHO he has steadily declined as a writer from those early days, even as his sales have risen. Frankly, he's largely a caricature of his former self.

Every book has some old fart named Clive Cussler making a cameo appearance. The only way Pitt has changed over the years is that he is now virtually a super hero. Giordino never was a fully developed character. Compare that to Tom Clancy's continued character development of Jack Ryan, family and friends (although I think he jumped the shark when he made Jack President).

I think Cussler has become self indulgent, and his publisher lets him get away with it, because they know the books will sell, even if they are now just hardbound comic books. I'd like to see him pared with a real editor, again.

4. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

They're fun, easy reads and he always gets the girl.

5. JimmyD

JimmyD

I'm only on my 3rd Cussler book but already I'm seeing alot of "repeated" themes/incidents, such as small submersibles and their crew being stolen/kidnapped, threats to the oceans that will cause death of humanity. Edited to add: Oh god, red-eyed mutants in this book too!!! This is getting ridiculous! Surely this guy has a little more imagination!!

I sure hope he doesn't just keep re-writing the same story over and over.

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Kind of like James Bond movies.

You know the characters and basic plots.... locations and girls change.

7. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Gotta love Mr. Pitt

8. JimmyD

JimmyD

Yeah, I'm kinda reading them out of order. My first Pitt novel was Black Wind, which was actually a Dirk, Jr. novel. I then read Sahara and just finished Inca Gold. It was a little confusing at first because I thought that Dirk was the same character as Dirk, Jr. but I think I have things straightened out now. Since I already got a copy of Shock Wave, I'll read it and then try to start at the beginning and read them in order.

I saw the movie "Sahara" which was "loosely" based on the book. Wasn't too bad I guess but then I've never seen a movie that did justice to the book.

9. MrMurphy

Except for the part about Lincoln, they stayed fairly close.

10. OB1

OB1

Have read three or four of the Dirk Pitt series. The last one was where Dirk's kids are hired by Numa and Dirk and Al take over Numa because the Admiral is going to run for U.S. Vice Pres.
    I've since quit the series because it's the same plot over and over. Just some other version of the same scumbag wanting to commit eclogical mayhem with Dirk and Al doing impossible things to save the day (and the girl, and the world).
    Still a fun read till it got boring.
    :beer:

11. JimmyD

JimmyD

Yeah, but not close enough according to Mr. Cussler himself. He wasn't too happy with the movie and last I heard he was trying to get the 2 sequels stopped.

12. JimmyD

JimmyD

Yep, I see that happening already. It seems that Dirk finds his "true love" in each book and then you never hear about her again (except for the senator lady who seems to be a steady doinking partner.)

13. MrMurphy

Like I said........much like James Bond books.

He ends up marrying her I think in the new ones.

14. Another19

Another19

SPOILER ALERT

NOT TRUE! He has one true love through most of the books, although she is only in one. It is the mother of his children, the woman that he thought had died trying to save her father. Unfortunately I don't remember which one that was. I haven't read any of the ones he has co-authored, are they any good? After reading one of the Alistair McLain stories that was written by someone else I haven't been able to bring myself to read the Clive Culler "with" so and so books. BTW, the Alistair McLain was a loooong time ago. I still like his books, but I don't know if I would if I hadn't read them in my younger days.

15. JimmyD

JimmyD

Yes, I had heard him refer to his love "Summer" in other books but she supposedly died. The point I was trying to make earlier is he seems to fall in love with a new woman in each book, and then you never hear about her again.

By the way, I just finished the first Dirk Pitt novel, "Pacific Vortex" (where he meets the woman you mentioned) and thought it was pretty good. The only error was it was impossible for him to have impregnated Summer during the brief times that they actually met. So, where did the twins come from? I've heard that Cussler admitted that he screwed that one up.

16. JDM2126

JDM2126

his non-fiction stuff about finding famous shipwrecks, including his most famous adventure, the finding of the Confederate submarine Hunley. Another book by a couple of Charleston writers, "The Raising of the Hunley", is also a good read, and Cussler's role is well documented from a pen other than his own.

Yes, his fictional stuff is repetitive. So is W.E.B. Griffin's-- but I still enjoy them.

BTW-- I visited the site where they were doing the archeological/restoration work on the Hunley. Absolutely stunning to see her after so many years of conjecture about what she looked like, her specs, etc. Too bad they can't do the same for the Monitor, which was in far worse shape for recovery ops.

17. JimmyD

JimmyD

Which site was that? I googled but didn't find anything spectacular.

18. JDM2126

JDM2126

a real site-- an old warehouse, I think in the old Naval Station. You can actually go to Charleston and visit in person, and watch them work on her. When we went, they had not finished emptying the inside of the sub of the silt that had filled her up. Since then, they recovered the remains of the crewmen and are trying to figure out where the sub will be permanently displayed. Lotta state and local politics involved. Maybe some GT'er from that area can update us.

19. ldb

ldb NRA Life Member

His books are good and he is a very interesting gentleman with a lovely wife. He's a gun collector and supporter with a beautiful home. I appreciate his work more because I appreciate his correct position on Article Two.

20. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

The Dirk Pitt novels are so silly I would never admit to spending time with them... or to spending the $$$ for them.
    Good thing I have an old friend who has a collection of them.

;)