Clips on pocket knives do you use them? Remove them?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by MinervaDoe, Sep 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I don't use them. But, I leave them on the knife.

9 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. I remove them.

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I use the clip.

87 vote(s)
    85.3%
  1. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Do you use the clips on pocket knives?
    If not, do you remove them?

2. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Nope and nope.
    I boggered up the finish on the slide on my new Ed Brown after I had it in an open bottomed holster and had my knife clipped to right front pocket. Just enough of the knife handle sticking up to rub against the gun while I walked back and forth between the target and shooting line several times.

3. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Depends on the knife, the clip, and what pants (or jacket) I'm carrying the knife. And whether a visible clip is a problem of its own.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    JFrame, fastbolt and BC42 like this.
  4. SK2344

SK2344

I rarely carry a knife but when I do, I use the clip especially with my Fox Karambit with the Emerson Wave which enables the knife open by itself when drawing it from the pocket! Great Knife for close encounters!

glock1097 likes this.
  5. cbetts1

cbetts1

I use the clip but I have lost a few good knives cutting and pulling trees. My first syderco with a plastic clip was lost this way. My wife found it years later, walking the dog. I wonder if they can rehab it. I like it because it wouldn't scratch things like metal clips. I am looking for a way to carry them in a pouch on the belt or with a clip.

Interesting point. I used to carry this knife as a flight attendant before FAA said no serrated blade (late 90's). I broke tip trying to get a seat belt unstuck.

20190917_143720.jpg 20190917_143730.jpg

glock1097 likes this.
  6. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Dang that sucks. You'd better send me that knife, to help you get closure. The Ed Brown too.

7. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Mine didn't come with a clip.

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

8. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

9. Finestkind

Finestkind

I use the clips and have torn up some chairs with it. Wooden chairs it will leave marks and cloth it will go through. It is a Kershaw with a big lip on it.

Finestkind

10. Schrag4

Schrag4

I’m not really a knife guy but I carry one in my front pocket, clipped so it’s right there on top. It’s a good way to always know what orientation the knife is in. IMO, the only reason to not like the clip, as has been pointed out, is if you don’t want others to know you have it. I assume that would mean they’re banned where you are?

mj9mm likes this.
  11. oldmick

oldmick

I carry mine daily, with the clip. It's a Spyderco Delica. I use that knife for all kinds of stuff. Opening packages, cutting twine, cutting fruit etc. Seems like it always comes in handy.

Unfortunately there is a mishmash of laws, or local ordinances, depending on the town you're passing through regarding it's carry. So, I never know if it's legal to carry it concealed under my untucked shirt. But whatayagonnado...

glock1097, mj9mm and Just Glocks like this.
  12. jmohme

jmohme

I use the clip on my every day knife. I hate digging around in my pockets trying to find anything.

Badazuwanme2b and mj9mm like this.
  13. Just Glocks

Just Glocks

On pocket knives I always use a clip ,I make my own usually out of 6AL4v .040 thick polish then heat color anodize , I also set the clip so the knife handle dosn't show just a camo colored clip !

Just_plinking likes this.
  14. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

I have an early plastic clipped Spyderco, and walked against something hard enough to break off the clip. I sent it to Spyderco, it came back with a metal clip and SHARP! (It has been 10 years), I would send it in, you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

15. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

16. porschedog

porschedog

One of the reasons I got an Emerson CQC7 was the Clip to keep it secure yet handy.

glock1097 and Rellik like this.
  17. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Have pocket knife clipped to my right pocket. With 1 finger I lift the knife out of my pocket and flip open the blade. When finished I can close with one hand. This requires great care because it would be easy to cut off a finger. Someone predicted I'd cut off a finger, so now the susppence of when it will finally happen keeps me 1 handing it.

mj9mm likes this.
  18. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Some knives have the clip upside-down. the clip should be at the bottom of the handle of a folding knife and not at the top where the blade comes out.

If the clip is at the bottom, then the blade end is facing down in your pocket so that when you grab the knife you're holding it blade-forward.

I used to carry a Spyderco Endura in the screwdriver pocket of a pair of carpenter pants which was below the regular pants pocket and just at the right place for the length of my arm. I could grab that knife and flick the blade out with my thumb in the blink of an eye.

If the clip had been on the other end of the knife I would have to pull the knife out and turn it around before I could open it. I don't know why any knife maker would put the clip on the blade end but some knives are that way except that maybe some people aren't in a hurry to access their knives or don't mind using two hands to open them.

These days I no longer carry a knife as a weapon (I carry a gun instead) and carry an Opinel in my pocket and it doesn't need a clip. It's very lightweight for it size and comfortable to carry.

Maccabeus, Paul53, Stevekozak and 2 others like this.
  19. Just Glocks

Just Glocks

Are you talking about the pivot pin end of the knife should not be where the clip is attached ?

Paul53 likes this.
  20. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Yes. I'm calling it the blade end. That's where the pivot pin for the blade is.

Paul53 likes this.